Homebrew How to get nesds running on M3 Simply

sephiaya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can't seem to find a good guide to get it running.

Just wanted to know if anyone could direct me, and give us a hand.

Thanks

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, get the latest version of nesDS: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=666

If you're using the latest M3 Simply loader (version 1.06) you don't need to patch the nesds.nds file, just put it on the microSD card. If you aren't using the latest loader, you'll need to apply the R4/M3 Simply DLDI patch to nesds.nds, then put it on the microSD card.

Put some NES games of the microSD card.

Put the card in the M3, and the M3 in the DS. Start it up, and run nesds.nds.

Go into the folder that you put the NES games in, select one, and press A.

You bring up the nesDS menu by touching the touchscreen.

sephiaya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I could not figure it out before, because of the changes with the dldi on the new loader.

But with your help i got it working.

Thanks

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
wohoo awesome
smile.gif

off to beat some classic games then
wub.gif

where to start, where to start.. hmm... duck tales!
smile.gif

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
This thread got me to thinking, so I plopped it onto my M3Simply's memory card. It plays great, but I can't get the touchscreen menus to work right.

Everything I touch is far off from where it should be sensing. For instance, I have to tap above and to the right about half an inch to get the standard buttons to light up. Things lower on the screen (like changing the buttons to A+B) require me to hit below and to the right. This makes it impossible to click on many things. I'd like to get to the tabs for other sections, like saving the memory. Naturally, I went through the recalibration. I can touch exactly where needed in other games.

Is this normal behavior? Can I get it to find my taps?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some people seem to have a lot of trouble with the touchscreen menu, while it works pretty well for others. There have been a few reports that flashing your DS causes the touchscreen to become miscalibrated for homebrew but not for commercial games. Then again, the nesDS menus are at least a tiny bit off for just about everyone.

Is your DS flashed? Does the touchscreen work properly for other homebrew?

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
No, my DSLite is not flashed. Other homebrew I tested work fine. SNEmulDS has a pretty narrow area for picking a game by tapping, and it does fine. It seems to involve what the app thinks is the center of the screen or something. Things above center need to tap higher than they should. Things below center need to tap lower than where they are.

I downloaded the source, to see some of its calculations for that. But it isn't set up to compile in devkitPro, so it'll be a whole lot more work to be able to tweak the values there. Still, if it works for the vast majority of people, why not my DS??
wacko.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not just a couple of people having this problem with nesDS. Quite a few people at the EZ-Flash forum have this problem, and quite a few people at the Pocket Heaven boards have it as well.

I think most people actually see this issue on their systems, just to a much smaller degree. I notice the same effect on mine, but it's only off by several pixels at most. I'm also using an M3 Simply on an unflashed DS.

Loopy has said that he's not happy with the menus, hopefully he'll fix them before too long. I'd like to have standard dpad & button control in the menus myself.

Harpuia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just tried running Dragon Warrior IV on nesDS, and I get a black screen :wtf:;

Is there some sort of compatibility list?

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I read some of the Pocket Heaven forum about this too. I also tested it in my wife's DS lite (bought a couple weeks before mine, February or March). Hers can touch the areas for menus and everything just fine. But, it doesn't display the bottom half-inch or so of the screen (when compared to mine). I guess it's still experimental; we will have to wait for the next release...

nyijedi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also having the same exact problem on my NDSL, but it works find on my older NDS. I'm assuming no one has found a fix for this yet?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu