Gaming How Nintendo killed interest in 3DS

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy with my purchase, and it only gets better as time goes on. To me, the 3DS launch is no different or worse than most system launches. The original DS launch was pitiful, but it didn't mean I wasn't enjoying the system. All we had was Mario 64 with the thumb strap, a Metroid Demo, and a handful of crap titles I tried not to impulse buy (glad I didn't buy Sprung). Looking at where the DS began, and how far along it became, I have a lot of faith in the 3DS.

I do agree with some things on the chart though, and I feel Nintendo should have put more into advertising. They keep saying how difficult it is to sell something that has to be seen, but they could put more effort in. Sure there are things missing that will be in the update, but I remember Xbox Live on 360 during the first few months, when the marketplace had almost no content.

I don't think Nintendo "killed interest," but they sure took a lazy approach to gain interest. With the update, and E3 at our doorstep, I feel that interest will rise greatly through the summer, and into the holiday.

RodrigoCamilo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe Nintendo are just waiting the right time to advertise their console, since E3 is tomorrow many things can happen, nintendo and other brands can release a bunch of trailers and features to the console. We just have to wait and see

Mew~

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm pretty damn sure the 3DS will pick up more sales when the new games we've been waiting for come out, like Kid Icarus, Mario and Zelda.

Just had a rough start at launch.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"i got my 3ds for 25$ by trading in my dsi and like 7 wii games when they had the deals at gamestop"

Must be just me, but I don't consider being wallet raped a good deal. Then again, I don't routinely buy games for 40-60 bucks that have no worth past a few play throughs.

I prefer titles that have zero limits on playings. Although I do wish that Civilization on the DS had been less than the massively reduced over all version it is.

I pay good money for my games, I expect them to be as good the day I bought them, 10 years later.
Steel Panthers for instance, released in 97, still considered the pinnacle of WW2 squad level tactical combat on the PC. Nothing in real time has equalled it. Graphically a program like it WOULD run on a DS, but no one has seen fit to do it yet.

Panzer Tactics is a great game, no limit on playings either.

When I see all the titles on the shelf at the console stores (used) I can only assume the audience is just not used to buying games meant to last.
Ohn well, the industry often does it's own damage to itself knowingly. Making transitory titles just means they train gamers to never be happy with anything for long.
And they have also conditioned you guys to be ok with buying a 50-50 dollar game, and in a month being ok with getting ripped off in the trade in.

My DSi XL WAS bought during a trade in admittedly. But at least it was a noticable enhancement.
But the screen size is not going to make hardware upgrades unrequired to run the last 5000 titles enticing. And my DSiXL WILL run everything since made, even if the 3DS won't. That, and so will the laptop. Of course, just because there is no 3DS emulator today means nothing. A pointless remark by the person that made it. What? you think it won't appear later? Not that it is vital it arrive soon. I mean, it's not like we have 10 titles coming out a week for it.

The biggest perk for me of course, is all you get with a DS is a touch screen (no longer rare) and some finger controllers (not always required by the program).
For those smug that a DS is a better game toy than a hand held without the controllers, you might as well just quit the debate. One I'd need to give a damn about the few games dependent on it, and Two, it would need to be impossible to play any of the games without the specially designed controllers.

The only thing keeping me waiting on deciding on a web browsing, book reading, game playing capable non Sony non Nintendo option, is I am not in any rush, and I figure I can wait till next year to see where tech gets to. The iPad is no longer unique, it's just yet again the over priced yuppy option in a range of options.

ACWWFAN

HERP DERP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
"i got my 3ds for 25$ by trading in my dsi and like 7 wii games when they had the deals at gamestop"

Must be just me, but I don't consider being wallet raped a good deal. Then again, I don't routinely buy games for 40-60 bucks that have no worth past a few play throughs.

I prefer titles that have zero limits on playings. Although I do wish that Civilization on the DS had been less than the massively reduced over all version it is.

I pay good money for my games, I expect them to be as good the day I bought them, 10 years later.
Steel Panthers for instance, released in 97, still considered the pinnacle of WW2 squad level tactical combat on the PC. Nothing in real time has equalled it. Graphically a program like it WOULD run on a DS, but no one has seen fit to do it yet.

Panzer Tactics is a great game, no limit on playings either.

When I see all the titles on the shelf at the console stores (used) I can only assume the audience is just not used to buying games meant to last.
Ohn well, the industry often does it's own damage to itself knowingly. Making transitory titles just means they train gamers to never be happy with anything for long.
And they have also conditioned you guys to be ok with buying a 50-50 dollar game, and in a month being ok with getting ripped off in the trade in.

My DSi XL WAS bought during a trade in admittedly. But at least it was a noticable enhancement.
But the screen size is not going to make hardware upgrades unrequired to run the last 5000 titles enticing. And my DSiXL WILL run everything since made, even if the 3DS won't. That, and so will the laptop. Of course, just because there is no 3DS emulator today means nothing. A pointless remark by the person that made it. What? you think it won't appear later? Not that it is vital it arrive soon. I mean, it's not like we have 10 titles coming out a week for it.

The biggest perk for me of course, is all you get with a DS is a touch screen (no longer rare) and some finger controllers (not always required by the program).
For those smug that a DS is a better game toy than a hand held without the controllers, you might as well just quit the debate. One I'd need to give a damn about the few games dependent on it, and Two, it would need to be impossible to play any of the games without the specially designed controllers.

The only thing keeping me waiting on deciding on a web browsing, book reading, game playing capable non Sony non Nintendo option, is I am not in any rush, and I figure I can wait till next year to see where tech gets to. The iPad is no longer unique, it's just yet again the over priced yuppy option in a range of options.

Very well said...

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP, you forgot to add legacy afterwards from the E3 expo announcement. Here's an image of a Legacy btw. Pretty fancy fandangled thing isn't it? Can prolly haul a lot of pokemon kiddies in the back of that thing!:

2001-subaru-legacy-wagon-outback-h6-l-l-bean-edition_100028903_m.jpg

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion one fo the reason sales of the 3DS are so muted is that they're marketing it as way too similar to the DSi. The Logo reveal is just the DS logo then the "3" is added. The ads are also of a very similar style (hey, its been working so far). But there's a problem with this. People look at the near identical logo and if they don't know much about it they assume that its just a normal DS with an added 3D effect as opposed to a new platform altogether. Couple that with it being £200 and people just go "Ok, I'll get the DSi. Its basically the same thing without the 3D isn't it? And its cheaper"
That's just my theory, quite flawed, but they really need to distance the 3DS from the DSi somehow... Rebrand the logo or something.

blackrider

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, who's going to spend over $200 for a console when there's no good games. What the hell do you expect with such a weak ass list of launch titles. When I saw the list I said to myself "you can fucking keep it".

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
blackrider said:
Seriously, who's going to spend over $200 for a console when there's no good games. What the hell do you expect with such a weak ass list of launch titles. When I saw the list I said to myself "you can fucking keep it".
Opposite for me, I am a huge fighting game fanatic and the 3DS received a lot of fighting game love during it's first months. SSFIV3DE, DoA:D, BlazBlue, PunchTime Explosion.

Pip'

Sebastian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In fact, Lot of people were so excited for the 3DS. I can't afford the 3DS since it costs more than every video game system in my house. And right now no game seems to be really that interesting until later.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently, NGP (aka PS Vita) will cost $250 EUR for the non-3G version.
This is going to be a real blow for Nintendo, as NGP - for the price of 3DS - offers much better graphics & power, bigger & more detailed screen, pixel-perfect PSP compatibility, PS2 emulation, two analogs, and most probably better multimedia capabilities.

I don't want to start a war or anything, nor I am saying NGP is a better console. Maybe its game selection will suck. But with price like that, Nintendo might be really struggling to repeat the success of DS...

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
pachura said:
Apparently, NGP (aka PS Vita) will cost $250 EUR for the non-3G version.
This is going to be a real blow for Nintendo, as NGP - for the price of 3DS - offers much better graphics & power, bigger & more detailed screen, pixel-perfect PSP compatibility, PS2 emulation, two analogs, and most probably better multimedia capabilities.

I don't want to start a war or anything, nor I am saying NGP is a better console. Maybe its game selection will suck. But with price like that, Nintendo might be really struggling to repeat the success of DS...
Not to mention NETWORK FEATURES.
Something 3DS and Nintendo as a whole is very very bad at.
Hopefully they pull a router out of a hat later today.

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never saw the graphics of my psp being any better than the ones on my DS so I guess thats just opinion based. I only play RPG games however which is why I used my DS more than my psp. And considering the 3ds already has 4 rpgs announced in the list I think ill be sticking to the 3ds with the vita taking dust in my storage only coming out for the here and there rpg they release.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The main reason of 3DS sales drop:

No great games for the launch window
No online features on day one (but I like this as I don't want a bugged out browser)
Horrible launch price
Extreme similar marketing like DSi (people think it's a DS + 3D instead of a successor)

All this will change though, especially after today. Nintendo isn't stupid and I'm sure they are now thinking of a 'counterattack' against Sony.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
damedus said:
I never saw the graphics of my psp being any better than the ones on my DS so I guess thats just opinion based
I was talking about NGP, not about PSP.
Besides, for God's sake, PSP's 3D graphics blows DS away. DS doesn't even do texture filtering and triangle throughput is order of magnitude lower.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
The main reason of 3DS sales drop:

No great games for the launch window
No online features on day one (but I like this as I don't want a bugged out browser)
Horrible launch price
Extreme similar marketing like DSi (people think it's a DS + 3D instead of a successor)

All this will change though, especially after today. Nintendo isn't stupid and I'm sure they are now thinking of a 'counterattack' against Sony.

Actually its price is pretty decent in the UK now. I dunno about the rest of the world though.

More so over I think it was just bad marketing.

Of course, This is Nintendo, we know what they are capable of.

People bash the 3DS all you want but just don't understimate it please. At least wait till end of Nintendo's E3.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
heartgold said:
Actually its price is pretty decent in the UK now. I dunno about the rest of the world though.

People bash the 3DS all you want but just don't understimate it please. At least wait till end of Nintendo's E3.
http://www.google.ie/search?q=160+gbp+to+usd
Americans are complaining about 250.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
How come $250!? so expensive... You should at least see the 3DS in Singapore...

EXACT SAME USA SET WITH NO CLUBBY NINTY FOR S$399 (US$340)

And I remember that Sony has it's HQ in Singapore, hence they'll set the Vita price. It won't be pretty. They set the PS3 at the most ridiculous price I've ever seen for a console (at launch).

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nollog said:
heartgold said:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=160+gbp+to+usd
Americans are complaining about 250.

You can't compare, there's just totally different factors you have to consider.
£160 for a new 3D handheld is decent over here, not too high and affordable.

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
damedus said:
I never saw the graphics of my psp being any better than the ones on my DS so I guess thats just opinion based
I was talking about NGP, not about PSP.
Besides, for God's sake, PSP's 3D graphics blows DS away. DS doesn't even do texture filtering and triangle throughput is order of magnitude lower.
Again I play RPGS prefering the 2d ones at that or the sprite based 3d titles. The DS rpgs look better, play better and I enjoy them more. Only game I enjoyed a lot on the psp was Crimson Gem Saga, when I compare the vids of the NGP and the gameplay i get on my 3ds aswell as the vids for the upcoming 3ds games I prefer the 3ds graphics and console look. Dont see that big of an upgrade on either from previous gen and proably the only title i was remotely interested in the ones ive seen for the vita is the music making one and that's about it. 3ds has the Tales, Shinmegami tensei, a new Square release and shadow ops that have me interested. So unless sony rolls some rpgs out the door ill just buy the vita on release and shove it in a corner after I test its in working condition. Thats how my PSP-1000 is it still looks like it was just bought lol box and all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup