How, given that we have total control over the firmware, has no one ever bypassed MS's hack checks?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by parrotgeek1, Aug 13, 2018.

1. parrotgeek1
    OP

parrotgeek1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    United States
    I don't own an xbox and don't really know anything about it.
    But I have heard that it is effectively impossible to play online even if you don't mod games, you can only "borrow" keyvaults from another console.

How is this possible? Why can't the modified firmware just try to hide itself from the rest of the OS? I mean, it's at the "root of trust". Is Microsoft running arbitrary code on the console to do these checks? I can't find any technical explanation of this.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Microsoft has various checks on what runs on a 360.
    Hardware hacked machines run an older version of the hypervisor to enable the vulnerability that grants arbitrary code execution.
    MS can detect it and will remove you from their service.

Stealth servers are basically the best you're getting on being online on a hardware hacked machine.

parrotgeek1 likes this.
  3. parrotgeek1
    OP

parrotgeek1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    United States
    Oh, there's a hypervisor? That explains it.

Do we have arbitrary code execution on the hypervisor with that vulnerability? If so, could the running hypervisor be replaced by the exploit with a patched version of the current one?

I just found this which helped me https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-do-xbox-live-servers-work.1135011/

Last edited by parrotgeek1, Aug 14, 2018
  4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    That basically sums it up yes.

parrotgeek1 likes this.
  5. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Addict

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    It's possible but only few have achieved it due to the hypervisor

Xbox live stealth is the big notable one, while they arent free to use it does let you bypass the checks you mentioned and keep you from getting banned(provided you arent doing anything dumb)