How does one create a GBA patch?

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by Meteor7, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Meteor7
    OP

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I understand that there are tools like LunarIPS which can create a patch for a game by selecting the modified and original .gba files, but I'm curious about how to modify the original .gba file in the first place. To be a little more specific, I'm looking to modify Mega Man Battle Network 3 by adding a menu interface on the Navi viewing screen which will let the player freely modify their equipped style.

What I have is:
    A basic knowledge of AR codes (thanks to the tutorial here ^_^) as well as the specific address and values which modify Mega Man's style. I've also some light experience sprite hacking pokemon games.

What I'd like to know is:
    How to bring up a window (using the same graphics used for text boxes) upon pressing a certain combination of buttons, or by adding another menu option, which will show a picture of a style with a name underneath it. I'd like the player to be able to scroll through the available styles and, upon selecting one, have their current style overwritten.

I don't anticipate this being too ambitious, but as I'm a beginner, I certainly could be in over my head. If these things are too complicated to explain to a noob, could you point me to a tutorial or someplace I could learn the basics of modifying a gba file?

Any help or direction is much appreciated.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    To do that, you'll have to know quite a bit of ARM assembly. Also, some of the stuff on this page will be useful: http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm
    It's not something suitable for a beginner to do, unless you want to spend a lot of time learning the ins and outs of the GBA as well as ARM ASM before you can get anything done.

3. Meteor7
    OP

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Woo, that's a heck of a read! Learning all this will be a slow process, but it looks fun. Thanks for the info, Jdbye!