How Accurate is FCEU GX?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Bart Lemming, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Bart Lemming
    OP

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    Hiya. I'm using the latest version of FCEU on my Wii (3.3.4, I think!) and I'm having fun with quite a few games.

I only owned a NES for a short while a very long time ago so I'm not that familiar with it. After playing with the emu on my Wii for a bit it made me wonder just how accurate the emulation is... personally, I've no idea!

So, out of curiosity, I thought I'd ask you lot for your opinions.

I'm not looking to troll or cause contention. Just curious. :)

2. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    FCEU GX is based on FCEUX, compatibility/accuracy is good. It runs almost all nes games and a lot of hacks without issues, but if I have to choose... Nestopia (libretro core) is way better.

3. coldadkop

coldadkop Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2014
    Venezuela
    tengen tetris runs very slow in nestopia and the other libretro nes cores, fceugx and wiimednafen do not have this problem, so there's that

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    To answer the question more broadly, FCEU in general doesn't really hold a candle to emulators such as Nestopia and Nintendulator (the latter of which is the most accurate of them all, as far as I know, and only available on PC; the Wii would be much too slow to run Nintendulator, methinks) in terms of accuracy.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Some emulators try for accuracy, some lean more towards compatibility, and some aim for both. I personally use FCEU GX on my Wii without ANY issues whatsoever for all the first-party games I enjoy, like all the Mario games, Tetris, Excitebike, Donkey Kong, Pinball, etc. I don't have too much experience with many third-party titles, but the ones that I HAVE played run great:

Bases Loaded 1, 2, 3, and 4, Duck Tales, Paperboy, Pacman, G.I. Joe, Kung Fu, DigDug 1 and 2, Crystalis, and Deja Vu 1.

The one problematic game I have found that suffers from TERRIBLE sprite flickering and noticable slowdown is Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers. There might be some video settings I have missed to fix it, but I didn't spend much time playing it, I turned it off.

6. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    I guess you have a bad rom or wrong configurations because Tengen Tetris works pretty flawless with Nestopia. Control wise it feels more responsive, but hey, both emulators are great. FCEU GX it's more user friendly and has zapper support via IR, while Nestopia is more CPU accurate and has better Famicom Disk emulation. Best of both worlds.