Emulation Higher resolution DS emulation?

Charix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, as much as I love DS games, playing them on Wii U leaves a lot to be desired. The resolution is small, and while it looks fine on the tiny DS screen, having it blown up on a large TV just makes it look ugly. I have heard some people talking about a way to edit a certain file that will increase the native resolution of DS games, but I don't know how to actually do it, or if it's even possible. Anyone know how to do this?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First your game has to be extracted (loadiine format) Then you find the config.json or something text file and find the information with the internal resolution render, then you edit it to something else. (It should normally say 1 just change it to 2) At least that is internal resolution render. If you mean like alter the size of the screen to make it bigger or wider, i haven't found that info yet. But i guess it would look like a common resolution scale ????X???? or whatever.

*Goes and find post about it*

http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-to-w...n-about-virtual-consoles.465095/#post-7188480

Is this what you mean? :ninja:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could use some help with this heh >.< I followed the instructions. Unpacked the DS game with DD. Changed Render Scale from 1 to 2. Put it in Loadiine. It all still looks the same for some reason.
Hello. :)

Sorry if you are having trouble with this. Can you explain what looks the same? It may be that it's hard to notice depending on the game being played. Looking at the comparison screenshots from the post you quoted, there is a difference.

BEFORE = RENDER SCALE 1

0o7Rude.jpg

AFTER = RENDER SCALE 2
H8T4fGq.jpg

Gameraspepper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Sorry if you are having trouble with this. Can you explain what looks the same? It may be that it's hard to notice depending on the game being played. Looking at the comparison screenshots from the post you quoted, there is a difference.

BEFORE = RENDER SCALE 1

AFTER = RENDER SCALE 2

Thanks so much for your reply, you seem nice!

So I could take a before and after screenshot but I can garuntee it looks exactly the same on my TV so I'm questioning if it worked or not. I changed the Render Scale to 2, is anything else supposed to be done? This is Metroid Prime Hunters I'm putting into Loadiine.

onithalion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

BEFORE = RENDER SCALE 1

0o7Rude.jpg

AFTER = RENDER SCALE 2
H8T4fGq.jpg

Hi, looking for this answear too, but can't find the DD, help me please ^^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi, looking for this answear too, but can't find the DD, help me please ^^

well I just might have found it ? it went wayback

auge

Trophies
XP
Country
I could use some help with this heh >.< I followed the instructions. Unpacked the DS game with DD. Changed Render Scale from 1 to 2. Put it in Loadiine. It all still looks the same for some reason.
Many games render differently and use different engines. It is why sone games don't even work on loadiine. Some won't scale... It is hardly anything you can do. The best bet is to try other region of the same ROM

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks so much for your reply, you seem nice!

So I could take a before and after screenshot but I can garuntee it looks exactly the same on my TV so I'm questioning if it worked or not. I changed the Render Scale to 2, is anything else supposed to be done? This is Metroid Prime Hunters I'm putting into Loadiine.
I also suspect you are editing the wrong file. Happened to me too. Can't remember now but make sure it's the correct one and not just some dummy file or an example

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did anyone else note the framerate going noticeable down with this / the game lagging?

BTW: PixelArtUpscaler seems a value which one can set pretty high. Only downside: The game will need some loading time on a black screen (guess the textures are upscaled while the game loads). I tested as high as 32 without issues and it gives some small but nice things in some games.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So much detail in DS games is lost just from the resolution alone. Increase the resolution in Emulators like Drastic or Desmume, and you'd be amazed at how good the games can really look. I took this screenshot in Desmume a few years ago. Besides the HUD, everything looks so good and clean.

0367 - Metroid Prime Hunters (U)(WRG)__28097.png

Reactions: Mama Looigi

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I took this screenshot in Desmume a few years ago. Besides the HUD, everything looks so good and clean.
You should get the same effect by setting RenderScale to a higher number. The game might become a slideshow through. Also be warned that playing too much with the values will result in GPU memory corruption. This is with
Code:
        "3DRendering": {
            "Bilinear": 4,
            "RenderScale": 6
        },
        "Display": {
            "PixelArtUpscaler": 64,
            "Brightness": 80
        }
IMG_20210630_144155.jpg IMG_20210630_144216.jpg

//EDIT: Tried setting RendererScale only, leaving the rest on default values: Still GPU corruption. So I lowered the value step by step. The result is that 2 seems to be the highest usable scale (for Mario Kart DS EUR). This might btw be the reason why Nintendo never enabled this and also why it exit-crashes (sometimes even enter-crashes) : There are simply buffer overflows as it was never fully implemented and nobody cared searching and fixing these. Maybe a homebrew DS emulator could help here?

Last edited by V10lator,

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone else note the framerate going noticeable down with this / the game lagging?

BTW: PixelArtUpscaler seems a value which one can set pretty high. Only downside: The game will need some loading time on a black screen (guess the textures are upscaled while the game loads). I tested as high as 32 without issues and it gives some small but nice things in some games.

Hey there, based on my research, it seems like one might use renderscale for 3d games, and a higher pixelartupscaler value for 2d games while leaving renderscale alone. do you know if a value higher than 32 would work? going to start testing some DS games but wanted to check so it cuts down on redoing injections

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: