Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im wondering whether i should

a) buy a new graphics card
or
b) buy a new system overall.

so here's the story. i want to play some games from pre-2006 (I'm not that interested in newer games) but i don't want to go as far as buying a whole new system at this point in time, however when i do go out and buy a new system, i want it at least to have a quad-core processor at around 3.0ghz and a top of the range graphics card. but problem is, the intel quad core Q6700 is at a hefty price of $678 AUD at this point in time. My current setup is quite old, but i know it will last me a few years yet (i'm estimating 2-4 years) heres its current specs.

3.0 ghz P4, 2gb ram DDR400 and a 5200fx@128mb.

problem with it is that it has a AGP slot, no PCI-e slots, so i can't go out and buy a 8800 (which is want atm) and just pop it in, or a 9 series card in future (the next year or so). I know in future that quad core prices will drop dramatically to make way for more cores in future as it seems thats the way we are heading (we can't break the 4.0ghz mark due to heating so the next thing is more cores). and tbh, i don't mind having a system under the general mid range system (example is now, i'm still running a single core the exception is my 5200fx which way below the midrange system these days)

at the moment my 5200fx does everything i want it too, it does all the graphical related things do given a little time and it plays most of the games i want to play, with the exception of some 2006/7 games. thing is i want to buy a new card to be able to play those games and cut down on the time it takes to render a few things.

what im looking at at the moment is this (spoiler is for presentation purposes)

Sapphire x1650 pro @ 512mb
or
MSI nx7600GT @ 512mb

at the moment im leaning towards the x1650 pro card seeing as its gotten better reviews and it is cheaper. but on tomshardware the 7600 has got a better performance on some of the newer games over the x1650.

so the pro's and cons of each card are as follows

x1650 pro
+ cheaper ($30)
+ availability (around where i live)
- less performance

7600GT
+Perfomance
- cost (im on a tight budget)
- availability (hard to find)

another problem is i'm not sure if it is worth the money and effort to get the 7600gt over the x1650 pro.

what are your suggestions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance