Help find title - PC flying/driving game with random generated maps

sucrose1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need help finding the name of a 3D polygonal, third person, driving+flying PC game from the late 90s to early 2000s. It was playable on Windoss 98, to give an idea of the vintage here.

You were given a selection of mini planes and mini cars, more like RC toys in design. The big draw of the game for me was the procedurely generated maps. I remember the game liked to generate tall red/brown mountains with sheer drops, also water. I'm pretty sure it used fog to cover the draw distance. It had a sort of "capture the flag" game mode, single player though. Think similar to Crazy Taxi, the game had you fly or drive to specific locations on the random map to collect something, then return to home base.

Ring any bells for people here? I really hope this game isn't actually lost media now.

Reactions: RedColoredStars

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this is it, but SODA Off Road Racing comes close to what you described. My elementary school computers had this game for some reason, but I don't remember if it had planes. It also has a track designer (with water), but I don't remember if anything is procedurally generated, or not. You can definitely make the sheer cliffs, though, because I remember kids making impossible-to-complete tracks with them back in the day.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/soda-off-road-racing-guc

There's also 1NSANE, which is closer to the Crazy Taxi description you gave. It also has vehicle varieties, so maybe this is it.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/1nsane-cpw

The issue with this request is that there are SO MANY racing games from this era that all pretty much looked and played the same. Some had cool features, like SODA's track designer, but it's really difficult to pin one down specifically. They usually all had a first-person view, and the checkpoint race mechanic was/is a staple of the genre. If you can think of anything more specific that sets it apart, it might help.

sucrose1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sadly neither of those are it. Really great guesses though, on the right track.

It absolutely had planes to fly, for most purposes that was the better choice. The randomly generated red/brown terrain was a very distinct feature of this game, steep angular cliffs and drop offs were a common sight. I was hoping that would be distinct enough, I don't think many turn-of-the-century racing games had flying and entirely random generated worlds.

If were any good at drawing, I could probably recreate what the game roughly looked like.

It may have been a shareware game. I remember it typically played in a window, not full screen. Had I known this game would be difficult to find, I would have saved it from the broken gray Toshiba Satellite laptop it lived on.

If I remember more specific details I'll post again.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
What kind of 3D graphics are we talking about? Are they super polygonal, or are they closer to what we saw in '99/'00? What other game modes did it have? You may be right, too. This era was lousy with shareware games, and it might have been something bundled from the OEM. Since you know the model, maybe you could Google for shareware that used to come preinstalled on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: speaking of roasted nuts, do you guys prefer your peanuts salted or honey roasted?