Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
i meant from the computer
biggrin.gif

Well still, you'd need to edit each homebrew app. Unless I'm still misunderstanding what you're trying to say
unsure.gif

QUOTE(Fishaman P @ Jun 30 2010, 05:44 PM) Dude, don't call it HBWare or HomebreWare. That is a scam site for the Wii.

Good point.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys also would like to ask fefi51 from the sc fourms he created scdstools for one and the two flash cart for downloading

-skins (gui)
-updates for eos, gba emu, and firmware update

it would be cool if it would be really organized have for most of the carts have DS games only

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you use the exe to choose your download folder.

it saves to a config file that the homebrew reads so that whatever you download goes straight to it.

also, if this project is planning to download the cheat DB, it should also be in a config file since everybody has a different cart.

ex: wood r4/rpg -> _rpg folder, Ysmenu/DSTT -> TTMenu folder, etc,etc

smile.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
squirrelman10 said:
you guys also would like to ask fefi51 from the sc fourms he created scdstools for one and the two flash cart for downloading

-skins (gui)
-updates for eos, gba emu, and firmware update

it would be cool if it would be really organized have for most of the carts have DS games only

Yah people already suggested that StormWave ask him about the zip decompression.

QUOTE(basher11 @ Jun 30 2010, 05:53 PM) you use the exe to choose your download folder.

it saves to a config file that the homebrew reads so that whatever you download goes straight to it.

also, if this project is planning to download the cheat DB, it should also be in a config file since everybody has a different cart.

smile.gif

Oh ok, that's what you meant. Yah that's what I suggested as well.

@StormWave: You could always analyze the C# library for rar/zip/7z decompression and see how it's handled. I would imagine that there must also be some documentation because quite a bit of programs I have can unrar files (ex: Jdownloader). You could also download the 7zip source and analyze that.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
you use the exe to choose your download folder.

smile.gif

I could compile an exe in VB.net, though I am a bit rusty.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice project, the only problem would be keeping it updated

I also think that you should be able to do a "save as" function, to rename and move the file where you want (even though it can be don through DSorganize)

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually I'm not sure if that library I linked to will even work. It's made for Visual Studio 8.0, and it doesn't want to work with 9.0. (EDIT: Nevermind, when you compile the program there will be an error about SYSTEMTIME in the ckstring header, just goto the top and include "windows.h" and it will work correctly. You also can't unrar to an unmade folder. If you unrar to a folder that doesn't exist, the files will just be placed in the same directory as the program)

Plus if I remember correctly (not too sure on this, I'm still learning C++ and haven't even touched devkitpro) you can't use visual studio C++ to make NDS homebrew.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can use the Visual Studio IDE to make homebrew, since it's what I use
smile.gif

As for that library, you're unfortunately correct. It looks like it's an ActiveX library, which wouldn't work on the DS. The best bet would be to find an open source c based library, but I'm not sure how likely that is. I've pretty much decided to have myself and contributors manually repackage the homebrew anyway, since the install scripts will need to be written etc, in which case the program won't necessarily need support for more than zip files. It would mean I would need a server seperate from fileTrip though, which would be annoying
biggrin.gif

As for the questions about installation directories etc, I'm not entirely certrain what to do about that at the present time. Some homebrew can be hex editted to allow a custom path (I added the feature into TextDS2), so I could have the install scripts for said homebrew allow the choosing of a path (with limitations). The actual NDS file (which in some cases is all that is required) could be saved anywhere so I'll definitely add a "Save As" option. Other than that, theres not much I can do about it atm :/

Thinking about ds2tools gave me the idea to add OS updates in aswell. I don't think it would be too much trouble to allow installing a new OS through the program, but of course it will need to support lots of flashcarts.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stormwave said:
You can use the Visual Studio IDE to make homebrew, since it's what I use
smile.gif

As for that library, you're unfortunately correct. It looks like it's an ActiveX library, which wouldn't work on the DS. The best bet would be to find an open source c based library, but I'm not sure how likely that is. I've pretty much decided to have myself and contributors manually repackage the homebrew anyway, since the install scripts will need to be written etc, in which case the program won't necessarily need support for more than zip files. It would mean I would need a server seperate from fileTrip though, which would be annoying
biggrin.gif

As for the questions about installation directories etc, I'm not entirely certrain what to do about that at the present time. Some homebrew can be hex editted to allow a custom path (I added the feature into TextDS2), so I could have the install scripts for said homebrew allow the choosing of a path (with limitations). The actual NDS file (which in some cases is all that is required) could be saved anywhere so I'll definitely add a "Save As" option. Other than that, theres not much I can do about it atm :/

Thinking about ds2tools gave me the idea to add OS updates in aswell. I don't think it would be too much trouble to allow installing a new OS through the program, but of course it will need to support lots of flashcarts.

Ah, I completely missed the part about ActiveX.

Well anyways, what do you think about my idea of a game_config.txt (it was a page back).

EDIT: At any rate I'd be willing to help with the conversion of .rar and .7z files and testing.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought (while the topic is still fresh) maybe you can make a small separate little homebrew to extract .zip files (for those times when you quickly have to dump something on the DS, but its zipped up). It would also save a little bit of space as well if people used it in combination with DSO (just have everything zipped up and when you need it, extract it, when you don't need it anymore, delete the extracted folder xD...a big hassle though).

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Well anyways, what do you think about my idea of a game_config.txt (it was a page back).

It's a good idea, I'll definitely implement something similar. The installation paths are already handled by the install scripts, but I hadn't thought about incompatible firmwares and things.

QUOTEJust a thought (while the topic is still fresh) maybe you can make a small separate little homebrew to extract .zip files (for those times when you quickly have to dump something on the DS, but its zipped up). It would also save a little bit of space as well if people used it in combination with DSO (just have everything zipped up and when you need it, extract it, when you don't need it anymore, delete the extracted folder xD...a big hassle though).

How about if I add the ability to "archive" installed homebrews? So if I add DSOrganise to the selection, which is very likely, once installed you can choose to "archive" it, which will zip it up and remove the folder, and then "restore" which will unzip it again. That way you would get to keep the settings etc.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeltaBurnt said:
basher11 said:
might be a problem since some things are in 7z format.

Well I have yet to confirm if it works with 7z. Plus you could always try getting a 7z library.
What? I have a sample application to handle 7z.dll in old archive...

Nope, this is un7z on NDS ^^; So possibly we have to refer p7zip, but license issue remains. Possibly we have to stick with LZMA SDK (which has small 7z support)

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LZMA SDK looks good, using that I would be able to support 2/7 compression methods of 7z (since Deflate is already supported). I think it would be too much work to get the other 5 working however. It would be interesting to download a sample of 7z files off filetrip and see which compression method they use. I suppose, if 100% or near enough use LZMA, which is feasible since it's default, I could add support for 7z and resort to the filetrip idea for hosting files. Then I would only need to worry about RARs, and no repackaging would be needed.

I might add BZip2 decompression in, since both zip and 7z can use it, which would increase compatability again.

I would still need a server to host the database, but that wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps filetrip is possible after all. I'll look into it all and let yas know what I decide to do.

EDIT:

Maybe when I'm done with the compression libraries I could make a spin off app that can archive and unarchive NDS roms on the memory card. That would be great for saving space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: