Homebrew HBWare / Homebrew Channel Discussion

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
the main question is, Do you come up with some sort of mini web browser to load the pages from the ds section of filetrip, OR (i prefer this idea) persuade the gbatemp guys to set up a minimal site that can be used directly on the DS with little no no conversion.
I think one of thebiggest problems though, is the lack of .zip support in ds homerew. I don't think I have seen a ds zip program yet, not to mention the fact that a lot of the files on filetrip will be .7z or .rar.
DsCompress and DsLinux

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tails100 said:
There's a website called DSitube it used to work until the new (old) v1.4 update.
Sorry, but how is this related? And could you actually watch YouTube videos on DSi through that site? I thought it was never finished...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
riverchen said:
If we could use something like Dslinux, then we might be able to decompress. Also, sleep Dling.

Why would "we" need to use DSLinux to decompress? There is absolutely no reason someone can't write a library for extracting archives, provided they are well documented, and that library could be used to write a homebrew with absolutely no need for a buggy port of an OS. By "sleep DLing", I assume you mean when you close the lid, it'd turn off the screen and speakers etc. and keep downloading, and that definitely doesn't need Linux in anyway, and should I think be relatively easy to implement (I know it is in PALib if that is used, not sure if its trickier without PALib)

Maplemage

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
tails100 said:
There's a website called DSitube it used to work until the new (old) v1.4 update.
Sorry, but how is this related? And could you actually watch YouTube videos on DSi through that site? I thought it was never finished...
Well since team twiizers are trying to hack the DSi it said on his Twitter:
idsitheman: DSiTube is finished, now it's all up to Team Twiizers...
6 months ago
He somehow couldve somehow find a way to hack the web browser to play YouTube videos on the DSi.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tails100 said:
SifJar said:
tails100 said:
6 months ago
He somehow couldve somehow find a way to hack the web browser to play YouTube videos on the DSi.

Still not seeing how it is in any way relevant to the topic. Did you even read it? It's nothing to do with a DSi Homebrew Channel if that's what you think.

Also, DSiTube is almost definitely fake, nothing has ever been shown to prove it exists/works AFAIK.

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
SifJar said:
tails100 said:
SifJar said:
tails100 said:
6 months ago

Still not seeing how it is in any way relevant to the topic. Did you even read it? It's nothing to do with a DSi Homebrew Channel if that's what you think.

Also, DSiTube is almost definitely fake, nothing has ever been shown to prove it exists/works AFAIK.

yes it exist
but
don´t work
yaynds.gif

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, I've written a zip library so we don't have to worry about that anymore. (It will only work using the Deflate compression method, which is default).

All homebrew added to the database that isn't in this format will have to be repackaged and uploaded to a server. As I said previously, I don't mind hosting this server (provided it won't cost much money), but if GBATemp were willing to host it it would be great
smile.gif

Spinal_Cord: Have you had any thoughts yet on how you would like to help out?

I'll start working on the installation scripts next.

Still need:

UI (presumably with images / skins?)
Installation script language
Wifi library
A server
Server database admin code

Anyone who wants to help with any of these things please let me know
smile.gif
In the meantime I'll start working through them.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've done the installing scripts now, the program will successfully install a zip file to wherever is required.
Next is the wifi, It'll download the zip and the script and install it.

I haven't started on the UI yet, so it's still completely open to any volunteers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a name for this project? Should I just call it HBWare? Would GBATemp like to make it an official thing?

Also, on the note of the installing skins thing, it's a great idea. If ndsthemes don't support it (haven't asked them yet), I might just add the ability to upload a skin straight onto the server using DS Skin Maker.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Stormwave said:
I've done the installing scripts now, the program will successfully install a zip file to wherever is required.
Next is the wifi, It'll download the zip and the script and install it.

I haven't started on the UI yet, so it's still completely open to any volunteers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a name for this project? Should I just call it HBWare? Would GBATemp like to make it an official thing?

Also, on the note of the installing skins thing, it's a great idea. If ndsthemes don't support it (haven't asked them yet), I might just add the ability to upload a skin straight onto the server using DS Skin Maker.

I'd say HBWare is a good name, and skins is a good idea too. Maybe stick in downloading the GBATemp cheat database too, I guess if you already have downloading and unzipping for homebrew, it'd be trivial to add, and I know there is already CheatUP, but this'd make a more rounded, all-in-one downloader app. Just a thought.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
Lol, if everything is being covered, you might as well just call it DSDownloader or something since its kind of going past just homebrew already.
Well, it's all still homebrew related, and I think HBWare is a nicer name...

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think one thing that should be included is something similar to gpsp's game_config.txt as some homebrew's files need to be installed to the root directory of the microsd, and some can be anywhere (as long as the nds file in in the folder or something similar).

So this game_config.txt would include info for certain homebrew that need to be installed in certain places, and/or don't work on certain flashcarts.

That being said, there should be an option to choose the default installation path for the homebrew (I hate it when I have 20+ folders in my microsd root because of homebrew).

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that being said by deltaburnt, it might be better to have a .EXE file to choose the destination for the downloads and saves it to a config file.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
that being said by deltaburnt, it might be better to have a .EXE file to choose the destination for the downloads and saves it to a config file.

But that would require 2 very hard things:

1. EXE support on the DS, probably never going to happen

2. Editing each homebrew application to read from that config file to find where it's needed files are.

It's a good idea, but it would take a heck of a lot of work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.