Hacking Have a Wii modded, should I mod my wii u?

teleska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So thats basically the question. My wii has snes, nes, gba, and gamecube emulators. I have a 3ds that plays 3ds and ds games.
Is there an advantage to modding my wii U so that I can virtually do the same thing? I understand that I can use the gamepad to play these which would be kinda nice.

Please go into detail. Why or why not.

Thanks a ton!

Wacko22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides displaying on the gamepad, the main advantage is probably the Wii U's HDMI output vs. Wii's component. Consider if HDMI is more convenient for your setup, or if you get visible noise in your component feed.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought this for 3 buck.
Screenshot_2.png

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So thats basically the question. My wii has snes, nes, gba, and gamecube emulators. I have a 3ds that plays 3ds and ds games.
Is there an advantage to modding my wii U so that I can virtually do the same thing? I understand that I can use the gamepad to play these which would be kinda nice.

Please go into detail. Why or why not.

Thanks a ton!
thats up to you the only downside is you need to buy a $7 vc game

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I have noise over my component cables (only use for audio on the wii u or audio and video on the wii). it sometimes happens; other times, doesn't. it can be annoying, but it's easy to drown out with the speakers. I don't have a receiver with hdmi or else I'd use that. ;)

teleska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any framerate issues that I experience with wii that are resolved with wiiu?

example... Used to pay gba with VBA emulator and it had slow fps on games I played, made it so I would rather use my laptop to play them. But then Mgba came out and solved all my issues with GBA games that I play. I hardly play GC games, but I may start with some. Is there an advantage of GC games with playability between the wii and wiiu? If I utilize a DS emulator on the WiiU, is it as good as using my 3ds with an r4 card, etc?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are we possibly going to tell you if it's plays DS games better or not? Nobody can tell you if you're going to like it or not. Just do the hack yourself and then see for yourself if it fits your needs

Reactions: godreborn

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Gamecube games, it's easier to play them in 480p on the Wii U as you'll be using HDMI, unlike the Wii's 480i composite*. However, if you have a real wii & want to use GBA to GCN cables, that only works on a Wii with GCN ports.
Injected DS compatibility is lower than a (good) flashcart's, as the official emu isn't really that accurate.
MGBA is available for the Wii U as a Retroarch core, just make sure to download the RPX cores and not the elf ones.

*if you've got component on the Wii, stick with it unless you really want to use the Wii U instead.

Reactions: SonicMC

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Gamecube games, it's easier to play them in 480p on the Wii U as you'll be using HDMI, unlike the Wii's 480i composite*. However, if you have a real wii & want to use GBA to GCN cables, that only works on a Wii with GCN ports.
Injected DS compatibility is lower than a (good) flashcart's, as the official emu isn't really that accurate.
MGBA is available for the Wii U as a Retroarch core, just make sure to download the RPX cores and not the elf ones.

*if you've got component on the Wii, stick with it unless you really want to use the Wii U instead.

Curious: what’s the rationale for Wii + component over Wii U + HDMI?

Thanks

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Built in GCN ports, if you want to use real memory cards/GCN-GBA linking. Those don't work on Wii U. Also Priiloader and custom menu themes.
That's it though.

Reactions: sorabora

ArchmagePlays

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Modding my Wii U was probably one of the best decisions I ever made in terms of console gaming. I'm currently in the process of selling my old modded wii, and have transferred all the homebrew software to my U. As well as that, the VC injectors available here make it ridiculously easy to play classics with the gamepad, and I even have WIISXR set up so I can play PSX games with the gamepad.

In short, yes, I do think you should mod your Wii U, but be sure to acknowledge the minimal risk of a brick.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main thing is Wii, depending on model, can have GC ports for controllers/memcards, if that matters to you. Also it can support 240p over component (if your TV even supports that) so older games could look better emulated than on Wii U which only goes down to 480. It's a personal choice what you prefer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing