Hacking harvest moon DS gba linkage with slot 1 + 2 cards.

pikoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Edge DS in my ds lite along with a slot 2 ez 3in1. I use gbaexploader from my slot 1 card for gba emulation.

Harvest Moon DS and harvest moon DS cute have a functionality of unlocking content once you've booted the DS game with the gba game in the DS's gba slot. I was wondering if it would be possible to duplicate this with digital copies of the ds game and gba. I assume the process might involve doing something like loading the gba rom into memory with gba exploader first, then running the DS game? I'm not sure exactly what to do though. FYI the gba game only needs to be connected to the DS game once to unlock content.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yup, you got that right. You just have to load/flash the GBA ROM into the 3in1's NOR, so it acts like a "real" cartridge. Then you have to run the NDS ROM normally and voila, content is unlocked (tried that myself couple months ago (with AK2+AKAIO, but it should work on Edge as well - I think?) and it worked like a charme).
smile.gif

pikoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks! so load it into nor, turn off, turn on and boot DS HM. does it display a message confirming that you've unlocked stuff? O:

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
pikoko said:
thanks! so load it into nor, turn off, turn on and boot DS HM. does it display a message confirming that you've unlocked stuff? O:
No, but you will see if it worked if you see the GBA characters in the hotel.

pikoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks again. I wonder if this method would work for GBA - GCN linkage for A(nother) Wonderful life. I gotta check if my gcn/gba link cable will even fit on my DS - if it doesn't I'd have to put the slot 2 card in my GBA, which I have a feeling might not work right
ohnoes.png

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
pikoko said:
thanks again. I wonder if this method would work for GBA - GCN linkage for A(nother) Wonderful life. I gotta check if my gcn/gba link cable will even fit on my DS - if it doesn't I'd have to put the slot 2 card in my GBA, which I have a feeling might not work right
ohnoes.png
From my experience, the 3in1 (fat version!) works perfectly in a GBA.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
@ Signz: does this method work if I save a game to the NOR on a EZ Flash III and IV as well? Just curious.

Also... yeah, the 3 in 1, III, and IV all work with GC to GBA stuff (have been playing with Chao on the go in sonic forever).

pikoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
): I have the not-fat version. DSLite white is my DS model so I wanted one that wouldn't stick out/ look oogly. bah. I dunno if the fat version is even sold anymore? Seems older models of flashcarts become impossible to buy pretty fast.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
pikoko said:
): I have the not-fat version. DSLite white is my DS model so I wanted one that wouldn't stick out/ look oogly. bah. I dunno if the fat version is even sold anymore? Seems older models of flashcarts become impossible to buy pretty fast.

Yeah... nowadays, you can buy the EZ Flash 3 in 1 (GBA size, nobody can seem to find the smaller one), EZ Flash IV (GBA size AND Lite sized, some EUR stores still carry Lite sized apparently), and the E Link (sold only by Divineo, or Diveneo, I forgot which one).

GBA carts are scarce and dying nowadays, even though there is still a good demand.

By the way, modern EZ Flash IV are not even new. these are all BACK STOCK, the last shipments manufactured were from years back.

pikoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems even DS flashcarts get dropped from production very fast. The non-i versions of popular carts, for instance. I suppose since it's a legal issue in many countries, these companies don't want to waste any money producing product they won't absolutely sell.

I haven't tried putting the lite 3 in 1 in my gba but I doubt it will fit (duhr). would buying a 3in1 gba sized be the best bet? Since it would only be used for gba gcn linkage as I can just play gba games on exploader on my DS already, I suppose price and lifespan are my only deciding factors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4eqTkD6JQw