Hacking GW Team warns against modified launchers

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It could make sense that the problem is related to the region free patch, since the bricks started after a couple of days it was released, but who knows; I myself never tried that patch since I don't know games from another region.

jqrn

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, obviously if they knew that the save files were at risk they wouldnt had released it; it is a beta release, bugs are typically expected. If what you want is an almost bugfree software you shouldn't had download a beta release.

gateway quote: We pride ourselves to do thorough testing before release, the same cannot be said for our so-called “competitors

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
gateway quote: We pride ourselves to do thorough testing before release, the same cannot be said for our so-called “competitors
Look, you are right in the part that they should have warned that the launcher had save issues, but it seems that they focused a lot on the emuNAND for that release (beta release), and now you and everyone must know why that feature needed a focus of attention.

Additionally, they later said that they were having difficulties replicating the save issue that the users reported, which is an interesting point to bring.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
in case no one has noticed yet , 3dslink and r4 have uploaded a "new" 3.3b version update which is in fact 2.0 with a name change.. but at least the brick wave has stopped

Nismax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boy, they really worked quick in diagnosing the cause didn't they? Under 24 hours I believe. And in the same time frame, they managed to single out the clones as the sole cause of it all, and GUARANTEE that the Gateway is not affected, even though there were reports from supposed Gateway users. The are essentially branding them liars.

There is one explanation. They know and have known the exact reason why this happens, and most likely planned it. We all know how ridiculously slow they work, and diagnosing unforseen problems obviously requires extensive testing.

Scene is a joke right now.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
yes , it's fun , at the same time they say gateway is not getting affected , but also saying to stop using region free patch and/or clones loaders , so who are you talking to if gateway is not affected? to clones? how you expect them to stop using cloned firmware if gateway one doesn't work?

Saxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

how is that relevant?, im pretty sure they did test their software before releasing (aka alpha), thats the reason there are just a few bugs, making it a _beta_ release, and not a final release. If you are not confortable with the idea that there might be even more bugs, please stop using beta releases.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the gateway installer lock up when it was installing the gateway firmware. The installer started like it always does and stopped before the last "*". Like this

>> PROGRAMMING [********** ]

After waiting for about a minute I pressed and held the power button until my 3DS turned off. Then proceeded to install the firmware again and all is fine. I am using the blue Gateway cart and the official 2.0B2 installer. Side note: I been getting lazy and haven't reformatted my microSD card even after removing the installer and reinstalling it, so perhaps it's my own fault for not following the instructions.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is it not strange, all bricks happened at the same day? :ph34r:

I'm 100% sure they included time related bricking code. And as we know, their hardware diagnostics are not very reliable, the clone detection maybe fails too --> brick, even with the original GW :ph34r:

Reactions: signz

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GUARANTEE that the Gateway is not affected, even though there were reports from supposed Gateway users..

Those reports on these boards are related specifically to using "data management" features, not to the launchers.

They are two different problems.

The R4i bricking happens by just using the launcher.
The Gateway bricking happened due to problems of "data management" and emuNAND/sysNAND. Which makes sense. Don't fiddle around with data management if you are on emuNAND.

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
I made this post on another thread but feel that is probably relevant here as we'll. If it helps prevent even one brick, I would say the double post is well worth it.

Take note that the Gateway News Update attributed the bricks to 'flawed copying or modifying'. It is clear that there are far more brick reports from r4i deluxe gold and 3dslink users and most if these can probably be attributed to the modified launchers. Just because you are a Gateway user though does not mean you are 100% immune.

There is always the possibility that something went wrong when you copied the launcher to the sd card. With all these cheap knock-off sd cards and sd readers going around, I would certainly not write-off the possibility. To be safe I would recommend doing a checksum test on the launcher.dat.

It is possible that data corruption can even occur during decompression if there is some sort of fault in your computer's memory or hard drive. So if you are paranoid or don't completely trust your hardware, redownloading and decompressing another copy to do multiple checksum tests certainly would not hurt.

If you don't require EmuNand, revering back to Gateway 1.2 is probably the safest course of action though.

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Those reports on these boards are related specifically to using "data management" features, not to the launchers.

They are two different problems.

The R4i bricking happens by just using the launcher.
The Gateway bricking happened due to problems of "data management" and emuNAND/sysNAND. Which makes sense. Don't fiddle around with data management if you are on emuNAND.

There is 1 gw user bricking console by using the "data management", that is the same person who started the bricking thread on this forum. And there is atleast, as far as I know, 1 gw user just using the launcher and bricked his console.(Posting on official gw forum) 3 other gw user reports are on a spanish forum which the causes are unknown to me. So no, gw bricking isnt only related to data management option.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is 1 gw user bricking console by using the "data management", that is the same person who started the bricking thread on this forum. And there is atleast, as far as I know, 1 gw user just using the launcher and bricked his console.(Posting on official gw forum) 3 other gw user reports are on a spanish forum which the causes are unknown to me. So no, gw bricking isnt only related to data management option.

Do you have the link of those reports in spanish? I would like to read them. I have visited the forum, but all the info there is scattered and I didn't find anything relevant three days ago.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I was referring only to these boards; I have not read the others.
If you read the thread you mentioned, there is one more GW user who bricked due to data management.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
2.0b2 has been out for quite a while, and these are the first reports of bricking. Clearly related to something released more recently. Namely, any patches, loader modifiers, etc. Simply don't use anything that doesn't come straight from your cart's manufacturer. Although, in the case of 3DSLink and co, you might want to avoid that as well. xD

Reactions: crazyace2011

frown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it not strange, all bricks happened at the same day? :ph34r:

I'm 100% sure they included time related bricking code. And as we know, their hardware diagnostics are not very reliable, the clone detection maybe fails too --> brick, even with the original GW :ph34r:
It's starting to look that way to me too. :(
If it truly was a deliberate action to brick clone users' consoles, that's quite a low blow...

I'm curious to see what Normatt's response to Gateway will be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one