Hacking GW Team warns against modified launchers

Nobunaga

Empty
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This was expected I mean the whole bricking thing.
Every company would protect their products.
Why buy a clone when you know that the original is better than it?
I agree with adding a security but not for bricking the 3DS.
The one to blame is not the Gateway team but the clone "competitors" who made you use their firmwares without even testing it or even a warning.

boogiemantcb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a question about the supposed bricking code in that was found. Would using the command "brick" actually brick the console??? Seems to me that someone made that up. I would believe it more if it had commands that would actually ruin the 3ds... Not just saying if value equals 0 than brick???

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why cant I just downgrade to 2.0 instead of 3.3b? also do I have to wipe my sd card as well or just replace the launcher.dat?
You can. It literally doesn't matter because it's the exact same file, just renamed to make people think it's better to "update" to that. 2.0 and 3.3b are both just the Gateway 1.2 version.

Gerbilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I have a question about the supposed bricking code in that was found. Would using the command "brick" actually brick the console??? Seems to me that someone made that up. I would believe it more if it had commands that would actually ruin the 3ds... Not just saying if value equals 0 than brick???
Obviously the word 'brick' is there instead of a list of operations that would not, to the layman, appear instantly to be code that can produce a brick. Such a code might be to change the value of certain memory registers to certain values, thereby enabling or disabling the ability to write to or access various parts of the 3ds. Writing the 'if .... then brick' statement was just to explain to people what the actual code did.

As an analogy, I could simply write 'If hungry then drive to store and buy food', or I could write "If blood sugar level ,4.2 and stomach detects less than 10% distention then open car door, sit down, insert key in ignition, etc., etc.'. Same message just simplified for easy reading and comprehension.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Cyberdrive

alex_fr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
good article by wololo. Wonder why 2.0 is taking so long? why they never enabled their exploit for 6.2 when they said they have?
Just you wait. After this mess and farce that was their brick code got exposed they will disappear, I don't expect to hear anymore from gateway really. 2.0 won't ever come out.
A few months later a 'new' company appears with a new card!

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
good article by wololo. Wonder why 2.0 is taking so long? why they never enabled their exploit for 6.2 when they said they have?
Just you wait. After this mess and farce that was their brick code got exposed they will disappear, I don't expect to hear anymore from gateway really. 2.0 won't ever come out.

You are hilarious
When did they ever say that they've got something for 6.2?

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

History shows that as a company you better admit a mistake and -promise to- solve it.
Customers will forgive you and trust you even more.
Carmanufacturers frequently ask cars to be returned for some repair, clothes/toys recalled and so on.....

Gateway should remove bricking code in order to gain the trust of their existing AND new customers and say they will not do t again.
Still I feel punishing 3DS owners for buying a non Gateway card in bricking the console is morally wrong.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You are hilarious
When did they ever say that they've got something for 6.2?
From what I know the only thing they ever said about 5-6.x support was basically "we're working on it, maybe eventually something may happen but no one knows".
History shows that as a company you better admit a mistake and -promise to- solve it.
Customers will forgive you and trust you even more.
Carmanufacturers frequently ask cars to be returned for some repair, clothes/toys recalled and so on.....

Gateway should remove bricking code in order to gain the trust of their existing AND new customers and say they will not do t again.
Still I feel punishing 3DS owners for buying a non Gateway card in bricking the console is morally wrong.
If piracy companies had morals they wouldn't be piracy companies.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The GW team are worse than nintendo, i would never trust them with my 3ds console after what I've read about them, I'm glad my 3ds is official firmware at least nintendo don't sabotage my console unlike GW, they trash talk saying don't do this and that is annoying too, i buy your product you shut it and let me use it as i see fit, not be a dictator and start threating me with bricks if I go out of line, they are worse than sony too, man that is something.

Reactions: Punkrox

LegendaryFighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

According to this Tweet, the 4.X exploit won't work for upcoming titles. Also, there are less compatible consoles every day, so there is no use for a new flashcard. The only way making some money would be to release a working 2.0 Final version with Multirom and Pokemon. MT-Card got it working, so I'm sure the GW-Team will be able to do the same. It could take some time, but have they ever been on time?

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people keep making negative comments about gateway why would they want to release 2.0 they already probably feel like why should we even continue. which will make the ones that are waiting for 2.0 to come out wont cause all of the negative feedback from people. its like nobody appreciates their work now that the bricking issue has come up. so I guess we wont know if 2.0 will ever come I hope it does without any ticking time bombs or ways of bricking a system. maybe they can come up with another security measure to stop clone cards from hacking their hard work without destroying a innocent persons entertainment.

AngryRussianKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Guys, I have read, that you should do the checksum operation for launcher.dat. If it's same as
SHA: 3508a54dd3b1ff903fbf18ecf97b075205b67d0c

MD5: 6361c5d4935af6d888ffc0646548f5dd
my console is safe from brick 100%? I have just purchased Gateway, so afraid

boogiemantcb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously the word 'brick' is there instead of a list of operations that would not, to the layman, appear instantly to be code that can produce a brick. Such a code might be to change the value of certain memory registers to certain values, thereby enabling or disabling the ability to write to or access various parts of the 3ds. Writing the 'if .... then brick' statement was just to explain to people what the actual code did.

As an analogy, I could simply write 'If hungry then drive to store and buy food', or I could write "If blood sugar level ,4.2 and stomach detects less than 10% distention then open car door, sit down, insert key in ignition, etc., etc.'. Same message just simplified for easy reading and comprehension.
oh ok that makes sense. Will someone post the unedited codes for others to look at. And people say that it was made to happen at a certain date then why didn't all clone users experience this and only a few. Next question so is it safe to use gateway with correct launcher.DAT file? I emailed them and they swear there are still no confirmed cases and that they would reimburse shipping and not charge $100 dollars. The 100 dollar fee is for unlegitimate bricks trying to be passed off as legit to pay for their time. That seems reasonable to me. They claim there are still no official gateway bricks. Is this true? Any one out there have any kind if proof that they have a real gw brick using only gateway approved stuff?

AngryRussianKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have read 4 posts on Maxconsole forum(users are not new). They said, that they got their gateways almost lately, for example, week or two weeks ago. They are using 2.0b2 with blackjack and emunand without any problems.

I can hardly trust them, but I am considering about bricks. There are lots of Gateway legit users, but only 5 of them have bricks.(5-7)

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://wololo.net/2014/01/19/ninten...-blames-competitors-for-their-shady-practice/

there is brick code in the GW Launcher.dat

Mathieulh, know his code
he was a big name in the PSP scene

So where is this decrypted launcher so we can look ourselves? A name on the internet wow, I should 100% trust what they say. If they tell me to jump off a bridge because it gives me custom firmware I'll do it.

So far we have people saying "yup, it's there" but not a shred of solid proof.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1