Hacking [GUIDE] Upgrading 8.1.0-0J to 9.2.0-20J

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people that know how this soap server update method, can it be tested like this: create a 9.0U emunand on a 9.0U N3DS > run NTR 3.0 on emunand for soap response > update emunand in system settings > reboot > emunand should be running and updated (any update between 9.1U and 9.5 U).

If this works, then 8.1J to 9.1J shouldn't be any problem.

Last edited by cultopi,

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
For people that know how this soap server update method, can it be tested like this: create a 9.0U emunand on a 9.0U N3DS > run NTR 3.0 on emunand for soap response > update emunand in system settings > reboot > emunand should be running and updated (any update between 9.1U and 9.5 U).

If this works, then 8.1J to 9.1J shouldn't be any problem.
That wouldn't highlight any possible bricking issues though. I you have CN that should be fine, since you can get straight into NTR with that. For those of us without it the only option is probably to use GW to use the NTR boot .cia, and I'm not sure if that would brick or not (for the same reason sysupdater bricks in GW)

Perhaps oothax can be used to boot the ntr .bin, but I don't know anything about it.

Edit: Looks like I'd need to make my own oot save with yellow8's tool (all the existing saves are for ninjhax), but I don't have and cannot find ctrclient-yls8 to build it with

Last edited by Tokiopop,

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I should be releasing it soon, I successfully updated 8.1 emu to 9.1. I am looking for a private server to host that isn't my work server

Once on 9.1 there is no difference between 9.1 and 9.2. All available entry points available on 9.2 are the same on 9.1

Reactions: Gruntzer and cearp

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why bother with 9.1 when Tokiopop apparently has the 9.2.0-20J files?
Even if 9.2 has the smallest bugfix/enhancement versus 9.1, it's always worth it.

Reactions: cearp

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Why bother with 9.1 when Tokiopop apparently has the 9.2.0-20J files?
Even if 9.2 has the smallest bugfix/enhancement versus 9.1, it's always worth it.
He's right, there aren't really any significant differences. I'll upload the files to 'that site' when when I'm home regardless :)

I should be releasing it soon, I successfully updated 8.1 emu to 9.1. I am looking for a private server to host that isn't my work server

Once on 9.1 there is no difference between 9.1 and 9.2. All available entry points available on 9.2 are the same on 9.1

Guessing you're using the original method with CN and NTR CFW? Do you know if it's same to perform the method via bootNTR.cia (for GW users), or are we going to have to find a copy of CN?

Ronhero

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
He's right, there aren't really any significant differences. I'll upload the files to 'that site' when when I'm home regardless :)

Guessing you're using the original method with CN and NTR CFW? Do you know if it's same to perform the method via bootNTR.cia (for GW users), or are we going to have to find a copy of CN?

You NEED a physical copy of CN, no way around that. If we could use GW mode we just update with a cia

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
You NEED a physical copy of CN, no way around that. If we could use GW mode we just update with a cia
I know if GW didn't brick we could just use sysupdater. What I'm asking is if we boot NTR from GW with ntrboot.cia (the alternative to booting it via CN), would that work?

Ronhero

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I know if GW didn't brick we could just use sysupdater. What I'm asking is if we boot NTR from GW with ntrboot.cia (the alternative to booting it via CN), would that work?

If your intent is to update emunand yes but otherwise you still are plagued with the firm launch and in the same boat as you were with sysupdater

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your intent is to update emunand yes but otherwise you still are plagued with the firm launch and in the same boat as you were with sysupdater
We want to update sysnand of course, what we'd need is a way to boot ntr from OoT, or hell, sysupdater from OoT directly xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, pronouns are grandma/wife +1