Hacking [GUIDE] Upgrading 8.1.0-0J to 9.2.0-20J

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
First thing first, using sysupdater from gateway sysNAND mode will brick your console, secondly the tickets won't be properly signed if you install the browser CIA from gateway mode and won't launch (same reason sysupdater will brick from GW mode) hope that answers your question
if you were to install a cia in gateway mode... why wold the tickets not be properly signed?
are you saying we cannot install 'legit' cias using gw mode...? (news to me...) it's fine in gw mode. it is not the same reason that sysupdater 'bricks' in gw mode.

about 'bricking' when you install the 9.0 cias - i don't think you understand.
sure, if the nativefirm changes and is updated, yes gw does not let sysupdater update nativefirm - so you will not have the right nativefirm = brick.
BUT, we already updated partially, we 'cart updated' (= without browser remember) when we used download play from the mario game.

so, there is no nativefirm to install because that was already handled and updated fine. so, we simply need to install the 9.0 browser now (and maybe the other things that a real full upgraded covers).
sysupdater would do this but even fbi/devmenu etc, we just need to install the rest of the mising system titles that were not included in the cart update.

(although, i didn't think eshop games had the updates bundled with them... i thought that was only a card thing. eshop games can require a fw but i didn't think they could transfer via download play because there is no need to bundle the update files with the eshop game, because if you can access the eshop then you must be at the latest current fw. -- but i might be wrong!)

Last edited by cearp,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you were to install a cia in gateway mode... why wold the tickets not be properly signed?
are you saying we cannot install 'legit' cias using gw mode...? (news to me...) it's fine in gw mode. it is not the same reason that sysupdater 'bricks' in gw mode.

about 'bricking' when you install the 9.0 cias - i don't think you understand.
sure, if the nativefirm changes and is updated, yes gw does not let sysupdater update nativefirm - so you will not have the right nativefirm = brick.
BUT, we already updated partially, we 'cart updated' (= without browser remember) when we used download play from the mario game.

so, there is no nativefirm to install because that was already handled and updated fine. so, we simply need to install the 9.0 browser now (and maybe the other things that a real full upgraded covers).
sysupdater would do this but even fbi/devmenu etc, we just need to install the rest of the mising system titles that were not included in the cart update.

(although, i didn't think eshop games had the updates bundled with them... i thought that was only a card thing. eshop games can require a fw but i didn't think they could transfer via download play because there is no need to bundle the update files with the eshop game, because if you can access the eshop then you must be at the latest current fw. -- but i might be wrong!)

Not sure wtf I was thinking lol, so basically just install the browser CIA in FBI instead of with sysupdater to make things simpler but his method will work fine

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure wtf I was thinking lol, so basically just install the browser CIA in FBI instead of with sysupdater to make things simpler but his method will work fine
I mentioned in the other thread about this, but once you've updated without the browser to 9.0 via the Mario game could we not just use pasta cfw, RXtools, or something else that sysupdater doesn't brick with to fully update to 9.2?

I'm assuming with 9.0 and the browser installed as a .cia that we could actually use existing ROPs to boot these custom firmwares, not sure if it will work in practice. I might try tonight, does it matter if my second console is a European non-new 3DS for the 9.0 update trick?

Last edited by Tokiopop,

pegasus21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
So I've got to the point where the 3DS is trying to download the firmware update files but I realised that it's trying to download the unpacked version of the files but the firmware I have are packed in cia.

Is there a way to extract the cdn cia files?

Edit: Managed to do something about the cia files and after a few more tries updating, I have a 9.1.0-20J instead because I couldn't find 9.2.0's 0004003000008202 and 000400DB00017202. Good enough I guess. Thanks!

Last edited by pegasus21,
Reactions: TheShadowRunner

nickerous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my Cia installable system does not have to be a Japanese system? I can do this with an American O3ds with dr. Mario installed as a cia? Then download play with my 8.1j n3ds?

Nuzzgok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've got to the point where the 3DS is trying to download the firmware update files but I realised that it's trying to download the unpacked version of the files but the firmware I have are packed in cia.

Is there a way to extract the cdn cia files?

Edit: Managed to do something about the cia files and after a few more tries updating, I have a 9.1.0-20J instead because I couldn't find 9.2.0's 0004003000008202 and 000400DB00017202. Good enough I guess. Thanks!

Can I ask how you did this please?

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
3DSware doesn't bundle any firmware update.
So Dr.Mario DL play transferring 9.0 is NG.
So do DL play available VCs.

We are trying to modify certain game like Luigi Mansion 2's update pack from 4.5 to 9.2.
But directly modifying update.cfa causes the game (even it successfully burned in Sky3DS) unrecognizable.

pegasus21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Basically followed the method that the OP detailed. You will also need to have the 9.0.0 - 9.2.0 firmware files either in the cdn or cia format as you need to host them yourself.

Then you need to change the URLs in GetSystemUpdate to point to your firmware files on your http server and you might need to change the Version as well as FsSize of some TitleIds to suit your firmware files. In my case those were 0004003000008202 and 000400DB00017202 as I didn't have the 9.2.0 version of those titles.

If your firmware files are in cia, you do need to unpack them using the UnpackCdnCia script which is on a site that cannot be mentioned here apparently but is mentioned earlier in regards as to location to get firmware files.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Basically followed the method that the OP detailed. You will also need to have the 9.0.0 - 9.2.0 firmware files either in the cdn or cia format as you need to host them yourself.

Then you need to change the URLs in GetSystemUpdate to point to your firmware files on your http server and you might need to change the Version as well as FsSize of some TitleIds to suit your firmware files. In my case those were 0004003000008202 and 000400DB00017202 as I didn't have the 9.2.0 version of those titles.

If your firmware files are in cia, you do need to unpack them using the UnpackCdnCia script which is on a site that cannot be mentioned here apparently but is mentioned earlier in regards as to location to get firmware files.
you can use ctrtool i think to unpack cias too :)

i thought i asked if this would be possible (self hosting the content files) and was told no?... so good you got it working
@Ronhero - didn't you say this couldn't be done, it's a shame about that since you/people have been spending weeks/months trying to find another way
good that you didn't give up.

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: Ronhero

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
you can use ctrtool i think to unpack cias too :)

i thought i asked if this would be possible (self hosting the content files) and was told no?... so good you got it working
@Ronhero - didn't you say this couldn't be done, it's a shame about that since you/people have been spending weeks/months trying to find another way
good that you didn't give up.

I said that we couldn't get it to work and when we reached out to other devs the only one who could help was yellow8 and he gave us a HUGE diatribe about how piracy was wrong. I since scrapped the idea and went looking for other methods.

This method was always my number one hope that someone would make it work since it is the safest

Reactions: cearp

pegasus21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I tried using ctrtool to unpack but the unpacked files are different in size when compared to the non-cia files downloaded from cdn so I don't advise you use that method.

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so everyone knows...... soap servers are encrypted and the 3ds will deny any updates if it's not from the official Nintendo server. I mean Nintendo isn't dumb guys.. Or this would have been fixed and anyone would have already hosted every file for the replacement CDN server.... aka just redirected the 3dsnus program to download from a server made by the public.

pegasus21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just so everyone knows...... soap servers are encrypted and the 3ds will deny any updates if it's not from the official Nintendo server. I mean Nintendo isn't dumb guys.. Or this would have been fixed and anyone would have already hosted every file for the replacement CDN server.... aka just redirected the 3dsnus program to download from a server made by the public.

The original SOAP server is on https yes but you can change that in the GetAccountStatus URL to http on your own server instead. That's what the original method is all about.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
why rehost a cdn server? just share the content without having the cdn set up... lol

but yeah, the method works

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why rehost a cdn server? just share the content without having the cdn set up... lol

if the cdn server was rehosted, it'd be just as simple and they'd all be in one place so you wouldn't have to manually download them? Plus I'm sure the soap servers are encrypted. (Just know a "little" about networking and servers since I am in college about to graduate for network engineering but no big deal or insight....)

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
if the cdn server was rehosted, it'd be just as simple and they'd all be in one place so you wouldn't have to manually download them? Plus I'm sure the soap servers are encrypted. (Just know a "little" about networking and servers since I am in college about to graduate for network engineering but no big deal or insight....)

I am also a network engineer as you already know and I think that this still has a chance. After looking it over as mentioned there is a work around by changing account status on your personal server. I am going to to test in the next few hours and hope to prove one way or the other

Last edited by Ronhero,
Reactions: kingestyou

pegasus21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Nintendo took down the 9.0.0-9.2.0 firmware files so to update to those versions, you will have to host your own copy on your own server.

Nintendo's soap servers are encrypted but the method outlined in the beginning of the thread changes the server that the 3ds is looking for soap to non https server. ie your own server

Reactions: Ronhero

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.