Goomba Color 1-29-2008

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Urza, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Urza
    OP

Urza hi

Jul 18, 2007
    United States
    Goomba Color 1-29-2008
    Another small update
    [​IMG]

Two fixes. Download and changelog below.

[title:Changelog]* Fixed an IRQ issue that affected Final Fantasy Adventure
    * Fixed junk graphics when backgrounds are supposed to be disabled

[​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Source

2. dexmix

dexmix GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2007
    United States
    i love that this is till being worked on.

3. Seyiji

Seyiji Rawr :3

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    PA
    I've been out of the loop for a bit now does this work on slot 1 carts?

4. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Slot 1 cards? Not currently. But it might be possible to reprogram for DS mode if ambitious, the source code is offered.

5. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    Dwedit has stated that he's porting Goomba Color to the DS (he even posted a screenshot of his emulator running on a DS emulator), but who knows when he'll release it. He seems to be trying to get it to a "final" state on the GBA first.

6. test84

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    Does anyone would please compare it to Lameboy? What are advantages of using this one over Lameboy?

7. Destructobot

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    They each run some games that the other doesn't. GBC games usually run faster in Goomba in my experience, though many don't run at full speed in either emulator.

Lameboy has a fullscreen mode, Goomba doesn't. Goomba has SGB support, Lameboy doesn't.

Goomba requires you to pack the roms into the file with the emulator, Lameboy doesn't.

8. test84

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    test84 spams, Destructbot doesnt.

Thank you for your quick and precise reply.
    the only problems I encountered with Lameboy was Cannon Fodder and Tomb Raiders, does Goomba show their intros ok?

9. dexmix

dexmix GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2007
    United States
    one huge difference is that lameboy is not for gba.

can't run lameboy on my micro.

10. Destructobot

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    Likewise, Goomba is not a DS app, and it can't be run from a slot 1 cart.

11. camx

camx GBAtemp Fan

Nov 17, 2003
    United States
    colorado USA
    From what I've noticed, pocketNES and goomba have the best timing out of any emulator for NDS or PSP. however there are ancient bugs in goomba that have never been fixed (Awful sound in Kirby's Dream Land for example). Goomba is better for your gamesaves IMHO. Although savestates were removed in a version not too far back, saving your game in-game works well. Lameboy is clunky and if you forget to press X after you save you could be potentially surprised the next time you boot up. BUT it runs from your slot-1 card and doesnt require roms to be packaged in a single binary. My advice, get goomba if you have a slot2 card lying around and use that to play your GB games.

If that has been fixed I haven't heard about it so i apologize if I'm wrong. But i have been keeping up with updates. Been a while since i used em.

These sudden bursts of development are always promising. I really admire dwedit for picking Goomba up. Here's to hoping it will inspire any of the MIA coders like loopy or flubba to come back to long abandoned projects. I cant wait, but i'm not holding my breath, for the DS version.

If you're really hurting for some handheld GB/C action I cannot stress enough how great Masterboy for the PSP is. Thats how it should be done; it isnt "perfect" but you will never notice. Save states, pallets, GBA/GBC machine selection, screenshots, multiple video rendering options, plus near perfect sound and graphics, solid 60 fps. Oh and it also plays GG/SMS games too. That is if your able to get a PSP or not.

12. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Goomba doesn't even really emulate the sound at all. It merely passes all sound commands directly to the GBC sound chip that's contained in all GBA systems, including the DS in GBA mode. Dunno if your sound bugs can be fixed then, unless it's an error in the way the command is passed to the GBC sound chip.

I agree though, it's great to see development continue on this even though the GBA is slowing down in homebrew activity.