"SNK VS Capcom: Match of the Millenium" for the Neo Geo Pocket Color gets a fan port for Commodore 64 / Commodore 128.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color by SNK was quite the obscure system back when it came out in 1999, after the release of the original monochrome Neo Geo Pocket in 1998. Part of why the console wasn't that well-known was mostly due to the huge success that both the Game Boy and the Game Boy Color had during the same time span.

While it was relatively unknown, the system saw quite a few good releases, like Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Adventure, Metal Slug 1st & 2nd Missions, and a handful of "SNK VS. Capcom" titles, and one of these latter titles was significant enough to catch the attention of a couple of talented people. Software developers Jon Eggelton (JonEgg) and Gianluca Alberico (RetroGL) have been working on bringing one of the most beloved titles from the system, "SNK VS. Capcom: Match of the Millenium", into other systems, and with the help of their own developed RetroFighter game engine, they have accomplished a port of the original NGPC title into the Commodore 64 (C64) / Commodore 128 (C128).

Not only have they ported the game, but they are also adding new things into the fan port, like 3 new fighters, 2 new bonus rounds, tournament mode, new graphic effects and special moves, one and two buttons configurations, new intermission screens, and much more. The fan port got its first fan release on September 27th, 2023, and it can be downloaded and played in C64/C128 systems (or their corresponding emulators).

SNK VS. Capcom C64/C128 Release said:
Finally a first release of SNK vs CAPCOM for C64/C128 is available for download!

New features has been implemented and corrections has been made to many aspects of the gameplay:
  1. Flying parries
  2. New/modified special and super moves
  3. Special and super combo chaining
  4. Special pre-fight animations
  5. Secret ending in hard difficulty level
As for the other published videos and releases, I don't have copyright on any of the content (fighters, background identity, etc.) since they are reserved to the respective owners (CAPCOM and SNK).

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the patronizing response. It must feel good to be such a snotty know-it-all and get the thrill of feeling above a random internet stranger over such a shallow exchange. There's nothing wrong with being ignorant btw, I'm always eager to learn and there are ways to answer to "ignorant opinions" in a nice and engaging way. All you have accomplished is giving me the impression that this "huge 80's micros hobbyist scene" seems to be populated by douches.
Yet you were the one with the 'are more than 10 people in the whole wide world gonna play this' original comment (and not just whole world ...whole WIDE world haha) - pot calling kettle with the 'patronizing response' methinks ;)

Looks great anyway! The original was, like has been said, a really under rated game.. looking forward to dicking around on a version with a bit more screen real estate!

Reactions: duwen

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just tried it and it's pretty amazing, they did a great job. I did rage a little bit at first, but it's because I didn't download the manual so didn't realise you have to use Joystick #2 for player 1 for some reason.

My only negative is not even about the port, it's the fact my Xbox controller doesn't feel anywhere near as nice as the clicky NGPC thumbstick.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yet you were the one with the 'are more than 10 people in the whole wide world gonna play this' original comment (and not just whole world ...whole WIDE world haha) - pot calling kettle with the 'patronizing response' methinks ;)
My first comment was supposed to be a light-hearted joke. Geez relax it's not that serious no need to be that intense

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I owned a NGPC back in the day, it's was really a cool handheld with great games.
That mini joystick is the best best dpad I ever used on a handheld.
This port looks very good, I will try this later on my C64 ;)

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried it and it's pretty amazing, they did a great job. I did rage a little bit at first, but it's because I didn't download the manual so didn't realise you have to use Joystick #2 for player 1 for some reason.

My only negative is not even about the port, it's the fact my Xbox controller doesn't feel anywhere near as nice as the clicky NGPC thumbstick.
its a crappy port imo if they have to use joystick 2 for player one. thanks for the headsup i was going to play this but that info alone tells me the developer who ported has more work to do before its a good port and not just a beta port.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
its a crappy port imo if they have to use joystick 2 for player one. thanks for the headsup i was going to play this but that info alone tells me the developer who ported has more work to do before its a good port and not just a beta port.
Just to clarify, I meant in the emulator you have to map your usb controller to joystick2 instead of joystick1. Not very intuitive, but also not a big deal.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
joystick 2 for player one
That's the leading de facto standard for most commodore software (Amiga too), and it probably comes from the fact "control port 2" has a lower memory address than the other, so it's the first one :D - as well as the one that doesn't support pens/guns so it's "less wasted" with a plain joystick

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's the leading de facto standard for most commodore software (Amiga too), and it probably comes from the fact "control port 2" has a lower memory address than the other, so it's the first one :D - as well as the one that doesn't support pens/guns so it's "less wasted" with a plain joystick
On Amiga I always thought it was because the mouse occupied the first port.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Amiga I always thought it was because the mouse occupied the first port.
I am humble enough to admit when im a dumbass. This now makes sense to me why on my shield i thought the emulator was broken and wouldnt work. lol. i thought amiga was broken lol just wasnt using contoller 2 lol.

its nice to be a dumbass like this sometimes. i now got tons i can go play that will make me so happy now.

Reactions: subcon959

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
Hello we are trying to port snk vs capcom match of the millenium onto the ds the ngpc versionwho can help use
https://discord.gg/zXNrxzHQ
Join it if u wanna help
Post automatically merged:

I have alot of question about this port how mnay frames you did for input buffer

Last edited by yoooblls,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto