NULL

Homebrew Commodore 64 port of Super Mario Bros. gets taken down by Nintendo

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Apr 23, 2019.

1. windwakr

windwakr GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Their exemption does not allow for distribution, only preservation on their end. Plenty of things uploaded to Archive.org have been taken down. If they were such a piracy safe haven as a lot of people like to assume, you'd see pirates uploading and sharing the latest movies and such through archive.org instead of other file hosts.

2. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    OK, this port is amazing. They had to have made a dark pact with a demon to make this on a Commodore 64.

3. cots

cots GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
  4. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    Mega Corporations are pathetic. At least the ones that act like this.

5. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    Well they didn't do it themselves, mask rights didn't exist then & all the patented stuff was removed.

Maybe Nintendo were upset that it was too slow on a stock c64 and you need either a c128 or some expensive turbo hardware to make it playable.

You can quickly warp to level 4-1 if you know what you're doing and it lags real bad.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Thank God Nintendo noticed this unauthorised port - think of all those modern day Commodore users copying tapes on their tape recorders illegally and indiscriminately! It must've significantly cut into the profit margin of the Switch, that's just unacceptable!

/s

VinsCool, zfreeman and Subtle Demise like this.
  7. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    The game was distributed as a disk and cartridge image, which most people will mount virtually & zeropaige didn't master a tape version.

Most modern commodore users don't even use virtual tapes let alone tapes. I sometimes use virtual tapes for ancient games because I like the loaders. It's been many years since any of my real tapes has been used.

Last edited by smf, Apr 23, 2019
  8. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bize Her Yer Trabzon
    zfreeman likes this.
  9. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Nintendo is to protective of their work and products. They always try making a new sequel before someone makes it for them :o

10. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Why couldn’t Nintendo just celebrate the devs dedication and skill..... before asking for removal.

11. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure been said many times ther entitled to act this way nothing wrong what ther doing-you may not like what ther doing but thers thousands of games out ther to play no one should be complaining

12. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    This is like a classic case of the Streisand Effect, like I've never even heard of this and now it's discovered by tons of people because Nintendo wants it taken down

13. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I'll add it to my archive.

14. JacobNeedsHelp

JacobNeedsHelp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2017
    United States
    Not kidding this just showed up on my news channel in the Tech Bytes portion of it.

15. QuazaRayy

QuazaRayy Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    England
    I may be a nintendo fanboy and all that and have developed a fan game (not disclosing because Nintendo will be on my case and destroy my works as well) but this is just horrible. why nintendo.

dosen't matter as i snagged the 171KB d64 image online from uploadfiles.io

16. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    This basically proves two things for me.
    • Nintendo lobbied like a fiend to get the bill to make game modding illegal in Japan
    • Nintendo thinks it can enforce such a law globally as a result
    Frankly, given the age of the target system(s) in question, anyone who eas able to keep a Commodore 64 running long enough to put this release on real hardware should be getting an effing medal, not being punished for having a new fan game after so long.

Also, this just reinforces the negative stereotype of Japanese culture being unable to stand the idea that anyone can fo a better job than them at something, much less a foreigner. Even if it took seven years, that it was done by one guy is nothing to scoff at. Yet Nintendo legal is having a damned unnecessary meltdown over a fan port of a 30+ year old game. Let that one sink in.

Another, is that this behavior just proves how ruined copyright law is. At the worst case, Super Mario Bros for the NES would have entered public domain by no later than 2015. Yet Nintendo of Japan still wants to act like it's some exotic piece of magic. At this point, a modern screenshot of the game takes up more physical space than the entire ROM file from the cartridge itself. And of course Nintendo isn't above downloading roms from other people to resell into official products either. We've seen that already with the NES and SNES classic systems.

Crap like this just acts as an incentive to pirate the crap out of their releases than to give them money for anything.

Garcimak likes this.
  17. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    So do we play this with the NES or SNES emulator?

18. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    You use a Commodore 64 emulator, or you write it to disk and run it on an actual Commodore 64 (or 128).

Zumoly likes this.
  19. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    None of my original hardware is in a good enough shape, I've been using https://ultimate64.com/Ultimate-64

Which is a step above running it in winvice I suppose. I doubt very many people are actually running this on original hardware.

20. AceX

AceX Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    f[​IMG]

NULL