Google announces paid Youtube subscription service: Youtube Red

youtube-red.jpg
YouTube is to launch a subscription service offering original, exclusive videos - including feature-length films starring high-profile vloggers.

Initially only available in the US, YouTube Red will cost $9.99 (£6.50) a month and have no adverts.

PewDiePie, Rooster Tooth and Lilly Singh are among the well-known names involved.

Other news relating to the service
  • It's also bundled with Google Play music all access. So you get a video/music combo.
  • Offline video playback
  • US only for now
  • They're offering a free month's trial
  • Looks like an extension/replacement for Youtube music key

:arrow:Source
[prebreak][/prebreak]
Personally reading about the original content sounds underwhelming imo. Reality tv is brain-dead, having youtubers doesn't make it brain-dead.

I can't see many people taking up on this apart from those really ingrained in the Google ecosystem. Particularly as youtube was built upon free user created content. The bundling with music all access makes it quite sweet. Personally I know I won't take this up, I'm happy with my Spotify/Netflix (and possible Crunchyroll) subscriptions. Youtube Red doesn't cut it for me as Play Music as a tendency to mess up audio on my phone.

Oh lulz Youtube Red sounds like Redtube lulz!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have to wonder if this is some kind of "oh shit patreon has captured a market we could have had". Anyway I make it a point to not pay for any services on the internet beyond usenet and web hosting/domain registration so I am out.

Clearly forever since most of his fans are tasteless idiots.
No matter how old I get the kids stay the same age?

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really "impressive", YouTube.

First of all, you highlight that you can watch "ad-free" videos (shocker!!) as a feature to your paid subscription service. Yeah, and Ad-Block can do the same thing for free, just so you know.

Second, exclusive video content... which will probably be screen captured/saved and re-uploaded by other users in short time for anyone that cares to watch them.

Third, you stole the name from one of Taylor Swift's albums which is really demonstrative of how much creative "time and effort" you guys put into this.

So, you know, basically, this new subscription service is essentially Google Play Music at its bare bones. Brilliant.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I would like to pay to not have ads and support content creators that I watch regularly. Exclusive content on YouTube Red from channels like PewDiePie (not implying I watch him) is a big noooooope.

There are feature length films and other paid content on YouTube, but those are on a per-video/per-channel basis. I think the video ones are a one-time payment.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uBlock and Flash Got have those both covered, Google.

I wonder if they'll try and stop Adblock and other ad blocking programs to try and get people to sign up for Youtube Red.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think there should be a cheaper option that does not have the google play music all access for those who don't care, use Spotify or other music services.
10$ a month is too much imo and I would rather have adless YouTube and support the creators at the same time. As it stands now I'm really uninterested.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
So $10 gets you this and Google Music.

I already pay $10 for Google Music, does that mean I get this youtube bs too then? Not that I even want it.
If you have it you are obligated to become an explorer and expose the content ;).

Honestly I expected this move by Google way sooner. It's a bit late.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: With other peoples couches