Golden Sun 3 (DS) announced

eSquire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't consider myself as hardcore a GS fan as many of you, but this interests me more than anything else from this year's E3, alongside L4D2.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm happy. I liked 1 and I LOVED 2.
As long as the djinn system is the same (and the colorful vibe is maintained) I don't mind if they use only new characters or whatever.
Well, it's still too early for speculation/dissapointment/megahype, but I will be buying this in 2010, definitely!
yaynds.gif

Glacius0 said:
Firstly, let me say I was disappointed with the first Golden Sun. The graphics were nice, the gameplay was OK, but the story didn't grab me much. I am also baffled that there are so many Golden Sun fans because I don't think the game delivered. I never played the sequel.

Personally I compare it to old SNES classics like Chrono Trigger and I just can't say it comes close to that kind of quality. I'm curious if there's people that finished both CT and GS and prefer GS. Let me know why!

As for GSDS, well, it looks like they put their effort into translating the existing GS game into 3d. This feels to me like a lack of creativity (summons doing the exact same thing, jumping over "one tile" sized gaps etc), but maybe the devs also thought that the game needed no improving (which I personally disagree with). Thoughts please^^

Your GS "experience" depends on when you played it, and how far you got. The start of the game is an incredibly long, and (if done for the second/third time), incredibly annoying wordathon. This is usually one point of the games that critics dislike; the abundance of talking in story segments.
Once you get past that and play up untill the Sol Sanctum (baby's first dungeon, so to speak) you're introduced to the core gameplay mechanics; fighting, jumping over 1 tile gaps, and block-pushing puzzles. This is more or less the heart of GS1, and it's incredibly cookie-cutter rpg fare, almost painful in it's genericness.
Then, when you leave Vale, and get your first Djinn, things start getting awesome.
The djinns up the stats of the party member they're equipped to, and they up the elemental resistance+power of their color. They can also be used in battle for an effect (as an attack/heal/defense etc) and subsequently either re-equipped or used to summon a... Summon.
The number of djinns (and what color they are) you have equipped to a character changes his class, and what available "magic" he has.

Finding all the djinns (gotta catch em all XD) and figuring out how to distribute them amongst your party, along with using them in battle, was the great fun and joy of the golden sun games (at least, it was for me).
Having djinns also allowed you to use Psynergies like frost and growth on the map to cause obstacles like puddles and plants to change, allowing you to progress. For it's time, this was pretty damn original (don't know if anything like it has been done since).

The sequel blasted 1 out of the water since gameplay and story were SO much better. Being able to transfer your party + djinns from GS1 into the second game was also a great asset. If you've never played 2, you missed the best game of the (soon to be) trilogy.

QUOTE said:
Personally I compare it to old SNES classics like Chrono Trigger and I just can't say it comes close to that kind of quality. I'm curious if there's people that finished both CT and GS and prefer GS. Let me know why!

This is a kind of provocative statement, since I'd like to head off into a rant to enumerate why I dislike CT, but you're civil in your inquiry, so I'll be the same in my response. I'm not a fan of comparing games with eachother, or claiming that one is better; simply enjoy all games for their merits. BUT! The thing GS and CT have in common is that they are both laden with nostalgia.
Both were very memorable games on their system. Just as CT was one of the best SNES rpg's, so too was GS one of the greatest GBA games. (personally, I'd say THE greatest) Thus, if you grew up playing one of these games, naturally it would stick in your memory as something monumental.
The rest is merely personal preference. Some people like this, others like that. No point in dwelling on it, unless one wants to start a flamewar. (PRO-SKUB!)

Also, as for GS not "coming close to SNES classic quality"... What part exactly fails to live up?

As for GSDS, well, it looks like they put their effort into translating the existing GS game into 3d. This feels to me like a lack of creativity (summons doing the exact same thing, jumping over "one tile" sized gaps etc), but maybe the devs also thought that the game needed no improving (which I personally disagree with).
Well, it's an early teaser, so it's subject to change (maybe) but I liked it. When the 3d landscape camera started I thought OH NO but upon seeing those 1 tile gaps my faith was restored
smileipb2.png
It DOES feel like they translated the previous games into 3D. This is the sort of move that will please the fans. No sense in finally coming with a 3rd part of a loved franchise and radically altering both gameplay and graphical design for no particular reason other than CHANGE IS GOOD.
The summons doing the exact same thing (only now in pretty 3d) was pretty nostalgic to me, since I saw them do their shit all the time in primitive 2d.

I'm not sure the games need improving at all. Story was awesome. Gameplay was rock solid. Puzzles were cool. Graphics were great for the time, and have been improved now. Difficulty could be upped in New Game+. There really was (to me) nothing to improve, and it's good to see the devs recognized that. Now just to hope the new characters don't look like dweebs
rolleyes.gif

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Firstly, let me say I was disappointed with the first Golden Sun. The graphics were nice, the gameplay was OK, but the story didn't grab me much. I am also baffled that there are so many Golden Sun fans because I don't think the game delivered. I never played the sequel.

As for GSDS, well, it looks like they put their effort into translating the existing GS game into 3d. This feels to me like a lack of creativity (summons doing the exact same thing, jumping over "one tile" sized gaps etc), but maybe the devs also thought that the game needed no improving (which I personally disagree with). Thoughts please^^
I have my own thoughts about this.
Firstly, let me say I was disappointed with the first Golden Sun.
Well that's too bad if it has. It brought a new experience on the GBA, and it had a really long gameplay time, if you were to collect all djinns and the secret weapons.
If you didn't like the first one, then the sequel or this won't be as good to you, because it's going to be the same golden sun and will give you a similar experience.

That's why you never compare a game with a game in a different genre.
Chrono trigger was a legendary RPG, while Golden sun is a game where you explore new places, get new stuff, try some of the minigames, collect rare items, solve puzzles, and fight tough bosses.
Even though both are RPGs, they are from a different generation, a different system, and a different gameplay.

As for GSDS, well, it looks like they put their effort into translating the existing GS game into 3d.
That's where my hopes were lost.
Many DS games try to "force" the game to use all of the DS's features (Go look at LoZ PH)
That ruins the game.. However:
summons doing the exact same thing, jumping over "one tile" sized gaps etc
this brought my hopes back up.
Summons don't do exactly the same thing. (Well, if you put it in a way, it does, but the new animations make it look more real)
Jumping over one tile sized gaps are part of the puzzle adventure of GS. Without jumping on tiles, it's no longer a golden sun.
Lol, what would GS be without the jumping? Remember, in the previous GS, you had to use your psynergy to freeze puddles and move platforms so you create your own path to jump around to the next level? It's all part of the game.
That's kinda like saying the next CT, if there ever is one, should not have the active time battle system, due to lack of creativity.
But if there isn't it won't be a CT anymore. You get what I mean?

But maybe the devs also thought that the game needed no improving
Just look at the trailer. You can see that almost everything was redone. And i believe more features were added, too. And you don't call that improving?

Lol. "devs thinking that the game needs no improving" and "lack of creativity" is pokemon, not GS.[/b]

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
geminisama said:
Glacius0 said:

I've played both numerous times, and I actually prefer GS over CT. CT is a great game, don't get me wrong, but I don't even consider it the best of it's console. I even prefer some Genesis rpgs over it. About CT, the cast and story were memorable, but it was hilariously easy, and the world was quite small. After the first play through, it was soo easy, I couldn't push myself to get more than a few endings. Now GS and GS:TLA both had a great cast, and story (imo), the world was vast, something I love in rpgs. The difficulty and puzzles weren't a cakewalk like CT, and there was so much shit to do. And after beating it 100%, I was still able to replay it over and over. So there you go, I've played over 100 rpgs, including the 2(3) in question multiple times, and that's why I enjoy GS over CT.
tongue.gif

I see it exactly the same. Plus the fight system in GS is jsut freaking awesome.
You get different psyenergy according to what Djins you are coupled with and coupled Djins also boost your stats, however you have to uncouple them to unleash big summons, thereby weakening you and not letting you use some psyenergy for a period of time.
That makes for really interesting battle because you always have to weigh if you uncouple Djins or not and if you do which ones.

In addition you also have items that give you psyenergy, cursed weapons that can be nutralized with a priest ring and so on. Chrono triggers battle system is a joke in comparison.
(though I really like Chrono Trigger, too. Just to be clear, it's just not as good as GS)

Posts merged

QUOTE(IchigoK2031 @ Jun 3 2009, 05:56 AM)
EDIT: If that poster/picture is correct, did anyone notice that the characters look similar to Isaac, Garet, and Mia, with of course some differences or is it just me...just wanted to point that out...I no its not a sequel...
Well they are the descendants of the old heroes, according to the Nintendo press release

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wabsta said:
So, I wasn't the only one who screamed out loud when this was anounced at the e3
tongue.gif

And even had to cry a little.
tongue.gif
I actually hyperventilated when I saw it the first time. That's something that never happened to me in my whole life. o.O

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Mia married at all since she was a priestess of sorts. The game had a few wtf moments with Lumeria and it's time slowdown equal to long life and both Babi and Lupin living far beyond normal human age you still have to love Lupin kicking the door despite being over 150 years old.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hop2089 said:
I don't think Mia married at all since she was a priestess of sorts. The game had a few wtf moments with Lumeria and it's time slowdown equal to long life and both Babi and Lupin living far beyond normal human age you still have to love Lupin kicking the door despite being over 150 years old.
Good point. And now that the Golden Sun shines again it shouldn't be a problem to brew new Elixir that let's you live for hundrets of years.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hop2089 said:

Wasn't Mia just the lighthouse keeper? And isn't that job a bit moot since the lighthouses got lit?
Anyhoo. The girl could also be Piers' descendant
unsure.gif

I wonder if they're going to introduce more characters (like 5 more XD) since we are short one Jupiter adept. Playable Proxians would be cool too.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
@ everyone that responded to me being disappointed with GS.

Great responses guys. I've read it with pleasure, and it clears thing up a bit for me. And to clear things up on my side; I've finished GS1 and got almost all weapons and djini. It was my 3rd game for GBA and I bought it right when it came out. I had very high expectations. I do not think it's a bad game; in my opinion it's a good game but definitely not great. I realize now that I value story in RPGs very highly and most of you value gameplay more. Chrono Trigger was indeed in a way too easy, however it didn't bother me. Thinking back, GS1 did have some nice puzzles, I just didn't care for them much. Throughout I was just hoping the story would pick up but it didn't. Constantly waiting for that and ending up being disappointed probably worsened the experience for me.

Lastly, I'm curious if there's some people here that like Lufia 2. It had some good puzzles too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of people that love both games.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Glacius0 said:
@ everyone that responded to me being disappointed with GS.

Great responses guys. I've read it with pleasure, and it clears thing up a bit for me. And to clear things up on my side; I've finished GS1 and got almost all weapons and djini. It was my 3rd game for GBA and I bought it right when it came out. I had very high expectations. I do not think it's a bad game; in my opinion it's a good game but definitely not great. I realize now that I value story in RPGs very highly and most of you value gameplay more. Chrono Trigger was indeed in a way too easy, however it didn't bother me. Thinking back, GS1 did have some nice puzzles, I just didn't care for them much. Throughout I was just hoping the story would pick up but it didn't. Constantly waiting for that and ending up being disappointed probably worsened the experience for me.

Lastly, I'm curious if there's some people here that like Lufia 2. It had some good puzzles too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of people that love both games.

Lufia who?

Anyway, you really need to play Golden Sun 2 to get the whole picture. You've only actually played half the story, so the "ending" you saw wasn't even the real ending. Heck, it was nothing more than a build up for the rest of the story. The story is incredible, when you finally finish Golden Sun 2 you'll notice that. The lore is rich and deep, there's more than enough backstory for any fan of stories and the actual main plot really works. There are twists in it that I've never seen in RPGs before.

To be honest, the way you're going on about Golden Sun's lame story, it's like you've read half a book and considered where you got up to as the end of the whole book - missing out on all the great stuff that comes from hindsight and twists.

Gwozdz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you ask me the game should continue where it left off with putting you in-control of Alex for a main character, Where you start the game off deep from within the earth in an hellish environment. there you would fight your way out, finding new and exotic companions and magics, to reach the surface in search for revenge.

But the eight-balls prediction for this scenario &quote Out look not so good &quote.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto