Hacking Gold EDGE Skin Contest Entries

ajmmii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jagerstaffel said:
Maybe it's too late to recommend irfan, it's quite a rather old program so I kinda figured everyone would have used it. Ah, I remember back when it was first introduced, man it got rave reviews and highly rated...

Even now I still use that program. Great, lightweight stuff.

I love that program. Very thing I used for this. Allowed me to lighten the colors of the one image I used on the bottom screen, and its a good program for resizing your images as well. My entry used this and *gasp* msPaint, as well as a free program called PowerMenu I used to aid in combining the 2 images together on my top screen part.

http://irfanview.com/

Check it out if you wish.

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things like broken transparency shouldn't be a big problem. If I were a mod, I'd fix it myself, or ask the author to fix it before putting up a download link in the winners list.

Sousakuryoku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that it should be based on creativity, but also practicality and what works on a NDS. Sometimes simple is best, ya know? So that might be what they mean by how they work on a NDS, as in how it appears on the screen, ease to read, etc.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sousakuryoku said:
I think that it should be based on creativity, but also practicality and what works on a NDS. Sometimes simple is best, ya know? So that might be what they mean by how they work on a NDS, as in how it appears on the screen, ease to read, etc.

You know, when i designed my skin I had the DS Phat in mind, as there are still users who prefer the DS Phat. I noticed how some skins had a difficult to read text against the chosen backgrounds, if it was difficult to read on my screen I'm sure the even less-bright DS Phat would have an hard time too.

Not that I would know DS Phat compatibility is in the judging. It helps though to think that way.

tokoshix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with all the creativity talk but the "ease of use on the DS" factor should be important. Since the competition is to make a skin for use on the EDGE and it wouldn't make sense to put a certain skin in your card, if you can't really use it due to unreadable text and such.

Though, users without the ability to test their skins were at a disadvantage.

crysnamtodshire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tokoshix said:
I agree with all the creativity talk but the "ease of use on the DS" factor should be important. Since the competition is to make a skin for use on the EDGE and it wouldn't make sense to put a certain skin in your card, if you can't really use it due to unreadable text and such.

Though, users without the ability to test their skins were at a disadvantage.

Which is kind of ironic, considering the prize.
laugh.gif

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
I think they should look for everything, not only the design, but as well the combination of the colours and if they work with the font and all that stuff. But no one should be punished for Bugs that couldnt be seen. I have entered the Contest, because i dont have an Backup Unit for my DS, so testing it, is nearly impossible.

However, good work for the Start Posting, must be hell lot of work :thmubs up:

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
OK, one more time,

NO THERE ARE NO WINNERS AS OF NOW, AND WHEN WE FINNISH OUR STUFF, THERE WILL BE ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE FIRST PAGE!!

And for everyone that are "concern" about skins, you shouldn't be..There are many voters (all mods/global mods/supervisors and admins) so voting will be fair..
We are all objective on voting, and you just have to trust us, and give us time to do our job
wink.gif

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When are the non-winners going to be announced?
biggrin.gif

As I've mentioned before the staff are real people like us, people who have lives and their lives do not revolve entirely around and on this site. Please respect Toni_Plutonij's wishes and hair by not asking about the competition status. In fact we all should appreciate Toni giving at least some sort of update, I do not recall any other mod or higher up providing this much time on the Edge forums. Thanks for all that btw Toni.

Remember they are providing something. It's not like we all paid to hear the results. While most of us allocated time to participate in this competition, we did so knowing full well that there are 200+ entries and only 20 winners. If I had to decide all that by myself my brain would explode
wacko.gif

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Toni Plutonij said:
*Godot* said:
Wait, look great on the DS? I thought you said its's based on creativity. Could you perhaps fill us in on the definition of looks great? If it's not too much to ask of course...
Yes, the contest is based on creativity, but to be a winner skin, it actually has to work in NDS, don't you think?!
wink.gif

Besides that, some skins have broken transparency..dithering is all messed up..stuff like that.....We have to be careful about that too!!

Oooh, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That takes little to no effort at all. Because if that were the case, I'd close my eyes and point randomly or count 1 potato 2 potato 3 potato 4, etc....

Bubblegum bubblegum in a dish, how many skins do I wish?
laugh.gif

ShakeBunny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious. How does the voting work? Is it one vote per moderator, or does each mod pick their favorite 20 skins?

Thanks again for even allowing us lowly non-mods a chance to get these cards. If I were a mod I would opt to keep one myself. You guys rule.
smile.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Killermech said:
jagerstaffel said:
Please respect Toni_Plutonij's wishes and hair by not asking about the competition status.
The hair also gets a vote of its own for its awesomeness
lecture.gif

ohmy.gif
that's cool, I think EVERYONE should respect my hair!!

Thanks Killermech
wink.gif
you're the man!

QUOTE(penguindefender @ Nov 26 2008, 04:14 PM)
Just curious. How does the voting work? Is it one vote per moderator, or does each mod pick their favorite 20 skins?

Thanks again for even allowing us lowly non-mods a chance to get these cards. If I were a mod I would opt to keep one myself. You guys rule.
smile.gif
Well, scheme of voting goes like this..
All staffers have to test skins (or view them thoroughly) and then pick their top 30!!
When everyone finish their contribution, we'll sum up the votes, and top 20 will be winners..
If there will be some skins with the same number of votes, we will further more vote on them solely!!

Jran Sakarra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gundalf said:
I think they should look for everything, not only the design, but as well the combination of the colours and if they work with the font and all that stuff. But no one should be punished for Bugs that couldnt be seen. I have entered the Contest, because i dont have an Backup Unit for my DS, so testing it, is nearly impossible.

However, good work for the Start Posting, must be hell lot of work :thmubs up:
I had my design tested afew times by some friends before I even posted mine.
looks great on Both DS and DS Lite.
I even got a few PMs asking to make a R4 version of it and I did.
Its in the downloads.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News