OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
all AI generated packs are gonna produce blurry results for text and certain parts of an image below a certain threshold of size, but the majority of the textures look amazing (at least with 4xHDCube) also I would take an AI upscaled remaster with mostly good results over a non-remastered pixelated image any day, the few blurry images take the immersion out less often than the low res images of every image all the time. I also just want an HD version to exist, period; regardless of "quality" since a lot of the games I upscale most likely won't get a proper remaster for a decade or maybe never considering how few people are doing them (right now you are the only one). We can make proper remasters in due time but that will take FAR longer than these AI upscalers for now. You see it as disrespectful but I see it as a necessary evil for most of the textures to not be pixelated for 2K or higher rendering and to have multiple games done within a year. Also, there still is no easy solution for remaking FMV's even if they dumped proper MP4's, the amount of time necessary to re-do pre-rendered cutscenes would be insane.
Oh, yeah, but I do agree with you, I even posted the hub for people to add a bounty to games so they get upscaled, that's how much I want more packs. Seems like I have phrased it very wrong lol, sounded right in my native language. What I think is that giving a high tier to all packs that use the same program doesn't sound optimal, when curating the results is more important. Panda_Venom said kinda the same thing in other thread, not all results are the same, even with the same program is used. And about the disrecpectful part, I meant to say from the artist's point of view, what I meant to say is that labeling with a high tier games upscaled in an afternoon only because they used certain program would make the artists of the industry see it as disrespectful, or maybe I used the wrong word and 'caring' would be more appropiate, if folks respect or care about the artist works or just do it for internet fame or money I don't care at all. But for example, as a fan of Masahiro Ito's work, I wouldn't want him to see a 'high tier' Silent Hill 2 HD pack made in a day that looks good at first sight but has problems on closer inspection, because that would show Masahiro how little people care about his work, and that's not true. Also, labeling by quality or tiers seems a little harsh on those who are starting or just do it because it's fun, maybe we can label packs by a low-medium-high level of revisal or fidelity... English is not my first language so I'm not good at that.

That 4xHDCube is starting to peak my interest, I'm gonna give it a try lol.

Distilled_Spirit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Whatever medium you are using, there is no guarantee the outcome will be at high level remastered image. You have to use different models in order to suits your preferences. For me, there is no one day pack remastered unless the dumping is not comes from me. Majority of the modders here, rely on there own dumping of images because they will know where's the part that produces a junk images, image that turns black when upscaled and missing image when upscaled also. So, when you used the word "disrespectful", in your previous comment, I though your the first one should know the struggles of a modder in making HD pack whether it is low, meduim or high remastered. If you are dissapointed with the results, you should give credits instead of critizicing his work for good as first sight but has problem on closer inspection and still if you are not satisfied, then make your own pack and do not rely on other modders to do pack for your game. I respect all the modders here whether you are a beginner or master, it is still a learning process all in all.

SadOrigami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Whatever medium you are using, there is no guarantee the outcome will be at high level remastered image. You have to use different models in order to suits your preferences. For me, there is no one day pack remastered unless the dumping is not comes from me. Majority of the modders here, rely on there own dumping of images because they will know where's the part that produces a junk images, image that turns black when upscaled and missing image when upscaled also. So, when you used the word "disrespectful", in your previous comment, I though your the first one should know the struggles of a modder in making HD pack whether it is low, meduim or high remastered. If you are dissapointed with the results, you should give credits instead of critizicing his work for good as first sight but has problem on closer inspection and still if you are not satisfied, then make your own pack and do not rely on other modders to do pack for your game. I respect all the modders here whether you are a beginner or master, it is still a learning process all in all.
Oh, so we do agree after all. That's why I've made this hub, not only we'll get help from the people who use our packs, but they'll also are gonna learn about our struggles if they want to help us with the upscaling process. Yeah, disrepectful was not the correct word, I was referring to the artists behind the games viewpoint and how they would feel about the work done here regarding the care for their original work. I personally don't use HD packs, I just try them to see if I can learn something new, and as for the Silent Hill example it was just a saying, a random example, you know, for the amount of symbolism and detail the game has wich is very important to that specific series, I haven't tested any SH pack yet. Yeah, it is a learning process, but not everyone has a fast computer or time and I know how that feels like (third world country here adn I only work on this on sundays), that's why I don't like the idea of a quality tier system, that's why I haven't labeled any HD pack on the list above, everyone's equal there.

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
hifi4everyone.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so we do agree after all. That's why I've made this hub, not only we'll get help from the people who use our packs, but they'll also are gonna learn about our struggles if they want to help us with the upscaling process. Yeah, disrepectful was not the correct word, I was referring to the artists behind the games viewpoint and how they would feel about the work done here regarding the care for their original work. I personally don't use HD packs, I just try them to see if I can learn something new, and as for the Silent Hill example it was just a saying, a random example, you know, for the amount of symbolism and detail the game has wich is very important to that specific series, I haven't tested any SH pack yet. Yeah, it is a learning process, but not everyone has a fast computer or time and I know how that feels like (third world country here adn I only work on this on sundays), that's why I don't like the idea of a quality tier system, that's why I haven't labeled any HD pack on the list above, everyone's equal there.
A tiered system is harsh but I feel it is necessary to 1. discourage repeat upscales for clout and 2. Give people the option to make a "better" upscale. Obviously, completely remaking the textures can also go badly if they deviate too far from the original intent and can be too different from it's source material but it's a matter of perspective. The reason I tier them from silver to gold is one just uses one upscaler and is done in a day, while the gold tier actually takes time to make multiple versions of textures and picking the best one which will lower the bad/blurry textures even more, but still doesn't solve the small text problem, for that you would want to completely remake the textures, that's why that's referred to as a platinum tier, as that would theoretically have no blurry textures. For people who would be offended by ranking upscales into tiers, I think shouldn't be making packs in the first place. People who are doing it for fun won't care about this and will probably disregard not only me but other people's knowledge on this subject, we can't force them to care as much as us, so no point in worrying about them. I believe we should strive for the best quality upscales but I am just filling the gap in this void of upscales (remember there are over 4000 PS2 games out there and we've only upscaled less than 100 in a year). Don't get hung up over low quality upscales, just focus on making your own upscales as good as possible and be an inspiration for others to do the same. Also we're not getting paid to do this, we're all just doing this for fun, after all that is what games are all about.
Post automatically merged:

I actually started a thread where I upscale other peoples dumps and I can pretty accurately tell which ones are HUD and Environments or characters. I make Silver Tier upscales for them just so an upscale of their favorite obscure games "exists". Of course, there are gonna be blurry textures but you can think of these upscales as placeholders for when someone else wants to make a "proper" upscale of the game, which will take a very long time to get to.

Last edited by SomberShroud,
  • Love
Reactions: SadOrigami

Distilled_Spirit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
For me, you cannot categorized of what you are using for upscaling games because there are certain results that other models will do superior from what you are using now. I myself are using waifu2x, Cupscales, 4xHDCube, Topaz, etc., but still, there are images need photoshop, paints, illustrator and others. So my work is a combination to those upscalers and programs and if the results will not satisfy your gaming experience, then sorry. I do not upscaled game for others. I upscaled it for myself and coz its fun.

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
For me, you cannot categorized of what you are using for upscaling games because there are certain results that other models will do superior from what you are using now. I myself are using waifu2x, Cupscales, 4xHDCube, Topaz, etc., but still, there are images need photoshop, paints, illustrator and others. So my work is a combination to those upscalers and programs and if the results will not satisfy your gaming experience, then sorry. I do not upscaled game for others. I upscaled it for myself and coz its fun.
you just categorized the difference between a silver and a gold tier in your comment. It's pretty easy to understand. Silver = 4xHDCube only, Gold = Best Upscaler for each texture. Platinum = Re-made (no-AI). Each tier has a noticeable step up in quality, therefore warranting a "Tier" of it's own. I think you're worrying too much about the semantics of "silver" or "gold" tier too much. It's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, everything is inferior to platinum.

Impheris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi...
So if i fully understand, i should be able to find some dumped textures here but all i can see is the textures already upscaled, am i wrong or something? (sorry if i don't understand)
for example, where i can find here the dumped textures for God Of War?

SadOrigami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi...
So if i fully understand, i should be able to find some dumped textures here but all i can see is the textures already upscaled, am i wrong or something? (sorry if i don't understand)
for example, where i can find here the dumped textures for God Of War?
You understand well. But the dumps, as well as saves and upscales have to be provided by people here in the comments or by private message so the list can be completed over time. The list only contains what people are willing to share and some stuff of my own, but I can't just start dumping game textures everyday, some games are 40+ hours long.

oh, this is hot. I'll gladly provide permission to share all of my packs.
That's the spirit! ^_^

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
lol, cool

yes but if you have hd upscaled textures, then you have dumped textures
unfortunately most people here aren't thinking of backing up their dumps, as I have tried contacting people who have upscaled and only 1 replied saying they deleted it immediately after.

SomberTwilight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately most people here aren't thinking of backing up their dumps, as I have tried contacting people who have upscaled and only 1 replied saying they deleted it immediately after.
Also, to make sure things are organized. I erase a dump directly after it finishes upscaling. Fatal Frame 3 would clutter my dumps with black empty images if a ghost was on screen when I was dumping.

SadOrigami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
lol, cool

yes but if you have hd upscaled textures, then you have dumped textures
Look, I start the game, dump, then I have new 800 textures, I delete 792 and proceed to upscale, edit and test before I repeat the process again and again. So the dumped textures folder is not completed until the very last textures. But this is because I take very special care with every texture to the point that if you were to show me a 16x16 blurry texture I would say 'of course, that's the door knob of the lighthouse in act 6'. Everybody have their way of doing it. But now not only we as modders have a way to adjust to new methods in order to contribute here, but the people who download our packs can also contribute, and it's easier than ever. And since most of the PS2 game textures are only like 20mb you can just upload a .zip to Google Drive.

CCKrizalid

Angry Russian dude?
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Good idea. If you're going to use my (and not only mine, but also others, although I cannot give permission for others, but for myself) packs as archive data to make it easier to distribute them, then I'm not against it at all. Although, I hope that you will leave a link to my channel on YouTube.

SadOrigami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Good idea. If you're going to use my (and not only mine, but also others, although I cannot give permission for others, but for myself) packs as archive data to make it easier to distribute them, then I'm not against it at all. Although, I hope that you will leave a link to my channel on YouTube.
Hey, thanks! But I don't usually like the YouTube videos of upscales because they are normally very low resolution and with extremely low bitrate, so you can't really see anything. YouTube's compressed 1080p looks worse than native 480p lol. I was thinking about making a very long post full of tutorials, including how to upload crisp quality videos, but it's holidays season, I'm gonna rest for now.

Reactions: CCKrizalid

Vermili0nFury

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
C
Hey, thanks! But I don't usually like the YouTube videos of upscales because they are normally very low resolution and with extremely low bitrate, so you can't really see anything. YouTube's compressed 1080p looks worse than native 480p lol. I was thinking about making a very long post full of tutorials, including how to upload crisp quality videos, but it's holidays season, I'm gonna rest for now.
I love your SotC pack and the attention to detail! I hope you could make something similar for God of War 1 sometime

SadOrigami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
C

I love your SotC pack and the attention to detail! I hope you could make something similar for God of War 1 sometime
I did a challenge with that game and remastered it in one day, but I'm gonna come back to it and do a cool remaster like this one once I finish Sotc and ICO :lol:

• Love
Reactions: jusuchin85

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Also, to make sure things are organized. I erase a dump directly after it finishes upscaling. Fatal Frame 3 would clutter my dumps with black empty images if a ghost was on screen when I was dumping.
There is an easy solution to this, Excerpt taken from my Tutorial:
Once you've dumped the game, open the dumps folder and delete any bad dumps that might've appeared, usually there is a pattern to bad dumps like one image appears repeatedly but has the same suffix "-00006800". You can type in the search bar ~*6800.png and it will highlight every image with that suffix and you can check if they're similarly bad dumps and delete them (sometimes you'll need to go deeper than the last hyphen like ~*d90-00006800.png for a specific pattern of bad textures as good textures will be grouped in with the bad ones as well for the last hyphen).
Also Would like to let everyone know to blacklist this user: 1vierock Reason: Mass-producing half-complete packs and charging $10 for basic ESRGAN upscales (not even 3xHDCube? C'mon)

SomberTwilight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an easy solution to this, Excerpt taken from my Tutorial:

Also Would like to let everyone know to blacklist this user: 1vierock Reason: Mass-producing half-complete packs and charging $10 for basic ESRGAN upscales (not even 3xHDCube? C'mon)
Baby, I dump my games level by level lmao. Once i've made my edits making those gorgeous outsourced textures I delete that shit and move on. Saving my dump files genuinely will not happen anytime soon unless the game is piss small.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: