Gaming God eater 2 English Translation possible?.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I would like to add that subj probably wont be translated by Namco. They had hopes for the first game, but sales was VERY poor.

icantfeelmyarms

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to add that subj probably wont be translated by Namco. They had hopes for the first game, but sales was VERY poor.

IIRC God Eater has always been pretty niche in the west, mostly with a cult following... Monster Hunter has seemed to be the "go to" for fans of "hunter-esque" titles in the west, so I wouldn't be surprised if GE2 didn't get a Vita port here (since PSP has long been dead now).

However, it still MAY be possible for a Vita port in English. Some pretty niche titles have already come out for Vita in the west, so I wouldn't say it isn't possible, but I wouldn't say it's likely either.

Regardless, those who are playing it on PSP are shit out of luck unless they play it in Japanese or an English patch does come out (which is looking a lot more likely than the Vita port coming in English). I'm 20 hours into GE2 already, and I love it. So here's hoping for an English patch so that others can enjoy it too.

JuliusEra

majestix1988
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it would be great focusing on equipment/aragamis/skills[and support skills]/blood arts and mission briefing/mission discussion on game
meanwhile the Stories/Character Episodes are mostly 2nd priority targets....

partial patch released could be great on equipment/aragami/skills/mission briefing (or beta testing purposes)

meanwhile the story patch will be full patch release

PhilipMR

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, I hacked the game. It does uses some data encoding algorithms to avoid romhacking (compression, encryption and checksum). I even find it cute when programmers do this, and yet the algorithm itself is extra-obvious once you look at the ASM code of the game xD. Anyway, this is how the Latin font looks like (yeah, they wanted to protect the game but there is a full Latin font on it already... GENIUS!)

~Sky

You realize that compression and checksum aren't implemented to avoid romhacking right? They have actual purposes...

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
You realize that compression and checksum aren't implemented to avoid romhacking right? They have actual purposes...

Yes they are indeed.
He mentioned compression, encryption and checksum.

Compression is used to save space. It also obfuscates the data.
Encryption is used to obfuscate the data.
Checksum is used to verify whether the data was changed at all, or is missing... yet the file systems in recent systems simply make this unneeded (an iso/rom of a DS/PSP game won't load if the data is corrupt). Unless...

Using a custom (not well known) compression, and the very fact they bothered encrypting at all: hide the game data from anyone looking into
a) ripping it and reusing it elsewhere in other games
b) changing it
b is more likely because they applied it to a non-reusable part: the text.
Text uncompressed would never exceed more than 2~3 MB (generally it's around 600~700kb in the average 40h jRPG). So size isn't an issue, hence, compression isn't needed for the purpose of saving space (but rather other purposes: hiding it)

Checksum: only reason it's here at all...
Preventing any tampering with the data to increase/decrease/alter the text.
Including the romhacking part where, you know, change the text.

So yes, it is intentional.
It's even included in many QA lists for some major developers.

Also, Chinese (and to a lesser degree, Korean) people fan-translate all sort of JP games pretty fast, from visual novels to RPGs to platformers (their FF Type-0 translation was finished in three months, and they actually have done a proof-of-concept one for Layton 5 3DS by altering from the RAM).
Namco lately is publishing PSP and Vita games in Chinese. *Hint* *Hint*

PhilipMR

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes they are indeed.
He mentioned compression, encryption and checksum.

Compression is used to save space. It also obfuscates the data.
Encryption is used to obfuscate the data.
Checksum is used to verify whether the data was changed at all, or is missing... yet the file systems in recent systems simply make this unneeded (an iso/rom of a DS/PSP game won't load if the data is corrupt). Unless...

Using a custom (not well known) compression, and the very fact they bothered encrypting at all: hide the game data from anyone looking into
a) ripping it and reusing it elsewhere in other games
b) changing it
b is more likely because they applied it to a non-reusable part: the text.
Text uncompressed would never exceed more than 2~3 MB (generally it's around 600~700kb in the average 40h jRPG). So size isn't an issue, hence, compression isn't needed for the purpose of saving space (but rather other purposes: hiding it)

Checksum: only reason it's here at all...
Preventing any tampering with the data to increase/decrease/alter the text.
Including the romhacking part where, you know, change the text.

So yes, it is intentional.
It's even included in many QA lists for some major developers.

Also, Chinese (and to a lesser degree, Korean) people fan-translate all sort of JP games pretty fast, from visual novels to RPGs to platformers (their FF Type-0 translation was finished in three months, and they actually have done a proof-of-concept one for Layton 5 3DS by altering from the RAM).
Namco lately is publishing PSP and Vita games in Chinese. *Hint* *Hint*

Right, except I didn't see any mention of the text files specifically being compressed nor anything about a custom not well known compression (which I find hard to believe anyways since pretty much every compression used in games is just a combination of already existing compression algorithms) and often files like this are packed meaning compression does make sense. Oh and the checksum is actually used for debugging.
But whatever...

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Right, except I didn't see any mention of the text files specifically being compressed nor anything about a custom not well known compression (which I find hard to believe anyways since pretty much every compression used in games is just a combination of already existing compression algorithms) and often files like this are packed meaning compression does make sense. Oh and the checksum is actually used for debugging.

But whatever...

So, I hacked the game. It does uses some data encoding algorithms to avoid romhacking (compression, encryption and checksum). I even find it cute when programmers do this, and yet the algorithm itself is extra-obvious once you look at the ASM code of the game xD.

*a screenshot where the only thing modified is the text, snip*

On a side note, when debugging, developers make access to their files and/or levels extremely easy so that they play the game right where the problem is and edit the files responsible for the bugs quickly.
I don't see a sensible reason for them to put landmines everywhere set to explode whenever a file is modified in a small way.
Checksums check if "the file is complete and intact". Why enable it in the debugging phase of all things when they ARE modifying said files? It's like doing a crashtest of a car when humans are still inside.

Checksums were used to prevent piracy since the SNES/Genesis days to prevent hackers from tampering with the rom to remove protections and various region locking features or modifying it in any capacity. Also used by the GTA devs to prevent people from enabling the Hot Coffee scene (they are tampering with the binary too, they just chose to alter the events that rather than alter the text for translation). They still serve the exact same purpose today.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Checksums were used to prevent piracy since the SNES/Genesis days to prevent hackers from tampering with the rom to remove protections and various region locking features or modifying it in any capacity. Also used by the GTA devs to prevent people from enabling the Hot Coffee scene (they are tampering with the binary too, they just chose to alter the events that rather than alter the text for translation). They still serve the exact same purpose today.

A checksum or hash sum is a small-size datum computed from an arbitrary block of digital data for the purpose of detecting errors which may have been introduced during its transmission or storage.

Taken from here

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Seeing how alive are some translation projects makes me think about other games with incredible multiplayer experience like Frontier Gate Boost+. :rolleyes:

suhendro

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
This one, Fate Extra CCC and Lord of Apocalypse, are some of the games I could consider hacking after finishing the Type-0 project. Can't promise anything though, only fan demand (and time, of course) will tell...

~Sky

hi sky if possible can i request Genso Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki english translation patch? i am huge fan of suikoden
tq in advance

Swing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Sky could you possibly send me the japanese text you pulled out? I can go through and translate it as I play the game.

Inv4l1d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Wait! Sky! I hope you read this...
If you gonna continue the translation (and i hope you do) just leave the russian text just as it is.
It's because there's a Russian character.
So, when you came in her room you can check in her terminal (Pc, or whatever) a russian text, so the player character say something like "i can't read this at the moment", at least in GEB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: popeye with spinach solos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Spinach alone didn't give him those arm muscles
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    true, but he's always the underdog until, at the lowest point of the battle, he eats some conveniently located spinach, then he fucks shit up
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also as of today i've been on nofap for 3 months
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    so uh, yay me for breaking an addiction that many suffer from like that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe the spinach was just a metaphor. Maybe it was really meth or crack.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spinach gave him a tumor
  • BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie:
    Plasturion is working on uncensoring imagine makeup artist!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then we will recensor it...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't want to see that shit
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Since when are bunnies pink? :ninja:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The ones you are hallucinating, or...?
    +2
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    Why is someone spamming call girls in the user submitted news