Project Is it possible to translate PSP XMB menu?

PositiveOcelot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
As the title describes, I would like to know if it is possible to translate PSP XMB menu to another language. To be more specific I would like to translate it to Greek language. If so, then how can I do that?

Have a great day everyone! :D

reha

Long Live the Machine
Trophies
Website
reha.zc.al
XP
Country
Turkey
As the title describes, I would like to know if it is possible to translate PSP XMB menu to another language. To be more specific I would like to translate it to Greek language. If so, then how can I do that?

Have a great day everyone! :D
Hey there,
Well you actually have two options, making a .ctf theme with the custom topmenu_plugin.rco (this file is located at the flash0 partition of your PSP, and it contains text data for the English and other languages that are officially included in the PSP. See this post to see what other .rco's have in them), use ZeroVSH Patcher to spoof your console's original topmenu_plugin.rco with the custom one without writing to flash0, or just simply replace the custom topmenu_plugin.rco with the original one in flash0. I wouldn't really recommend the third option as there is a chance to brick your PSP if there's something wrong with your custom topmenu_plugin.rco.

But there's a problem since AFAIK Greek language has non-latin characters. You need to make a custom font for that, honestly I don't really know if it's possible. You might achieve that by replacing the latin characters with the Greek ones.

Reactions: PositiveOcelot

PositiveOcelot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks for the reply and detailed explanation.
I also was thinking about the Greek characters not being Latin.
I think I’ll go with the .ctf theme option but I have no idea about how to replace Latin characters with Greek characters.
I still didn’t checked your links so maybe I’ll find the answer there.
I would really like to experiment with it, let’s see, hope I don’t brick my PSP. 🤣

Reactions: reha

reha

Long Live the Machine
Trophies
Website
reha.zc.al
XP
Country
Turkey
Thanks for the reply and detailed explanation.
I also was thinking about the Greek characters not being Latin.
I think I’ll go with the .ctf theme option but I have no idea about how to replace Latin characters with Greek characters.
I still didn’t checked your links so maybe I’ll find the answer there.
I would really like to experiment with it, let’s see, hope I don’t brick my PSP. 🤣
You actually need to install CTF Tool to basically do anything about .ctf themes. It also has support to open up .rco files, convert .ttf fonts to .pgf (PSP's font format) and more. See this PPSSPP thread about converting .ttf fonts to .pgf on CTF Tool. Then you need to replace Greek character fonts with other special characters (such as ç, ö, æ etc. since they're not used on English) using FontForge.

Reactions: PositiveOcelot

PositiveOcelot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You actually need to install CTF Tool to basically do anything about .ctf themes. It also has support to open up .rco files, convert .ttf fonts to .pgf (PSP's font format) and more. See this PPSSPP thread about converting .ttf fonts to .pgf on CTF Tool. Then you need to replace Greek character fonts with other special characters (such as ç, ö, æ etc. since they're not used on English) using FontForge.
I see, sounds like a lot of work involved but I am willing to do it.

Reactions: reha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol