Hacking Getting in Wii U scene...

SwaGoat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So,

I just wanna say that I don't own a Wii U yet,and it's not even sure if I ever will,so it' highly depends on the answers you give me on my questions.

I have a Wii,and know quite much the basics of Wii hacking,so for first question,
are there any terms,stuff or overall ANYTHING,I should know that is added on Wii U?

1. (this is before every other question,but should be taken in consideration as well,I mean kind of)
    Does it worth it if I sell my Wii to get a Wii U?I mean the console with some accesories too,but you know,just the console,not any games installed in it,excpt some VCs
  2. Is there any use for my HDD (which was WBFS and now is FAT)? Can I load Wii U games the same way I added them before ? (WiiBackupManager,or something like that)
  3. Is vWii the exact same process to get homebrew etc?Does it have any notable difference?
  4. Can I play Wii U isos?If yes,then is there any way I can play online?(I mean like,on games like Super Mario Maker,Super Smash Bros and so on)
  5. Are there ''wads'' (or whatever they're called on Wii U) for DS,GBA and overall the recently added VC? Are there any injections?
  6. Is there any notable difference using the vWii Homebrew for,let's say N64 Emulators?
  7. Is there a helpful guide to help me set up Wii U Homebrew or I should just look for guides individually?

Thanks in advance,and if you think there's something I should know,even beyond these questions,please note it.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. You won't get very much $$$ if you sell your wii, it's 10 years old.
2. Your HDD could be used to play wii backups in vwii OR wiiu backups in wiiu mode, but it won't use a backup manager - you will install them to your homemenu.
3. vwii is very similar to wii but only game exploits work. Lego batman etc.
4. You can play wiiu backups. You can use loadiine which does not support online play, or you can use the new brazillian method which allows online play.
5. There are no wad like things yet, but you can play vc via loadiine.
6. vwii homebrew has no better compatibility with emulators than wii
7. This is a good place to start http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/ although it's a little outdated.

Also I'm learning Greek γεια σου

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SwaGoat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
1. You won't get very much $$$ if you sell your wii, it's 10 years old.
2. Your HDD could be used to play wii backups in vwii OR wiiu backups in wiiu mode, but it won't use a backup manager - you will install them to your homemenu.
3. vwii is very similar to wii but only game exploits work. Lego batman etc.
4. You can play wiiu backups. You can use loadiine which does not support online play, or you can use the new brazillian method which allows online play.
5. There are no wad like things yet, but you can play vc via loadiine.
6. vwii homebrew has no better compatibility with emulators than wii
7. This is a good place to start http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/ although it's a little outdated.

Also I'm learning Greek γεια σου

Thanks very much sir :)
So,for the 2. answer,does that mean that the games will be actually installed in the ''inside'' memory? If yes will I easily have a problem of few space,or is the space good enough for 10-13 games?
Also,is ''the new brazillian method'' you mentioned something that can be like easily done?

I'm really sorry for this since it's like you're talking to a wall,since I don't have ACTUAL experience on a Wii U.Though,every little bit of advice you offered was really of much assistance to me :)

Best of luck in learning Greek too.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow this guide for the Brazilian method http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-usb-loading-install-wiiu-games-to-usb-or-internal-memory.445514/

It is very easy in my opinion.

For this method, you can install games directly to your wiiu's nand, but you can also choose to install to an external hdd. You won't be able to install more than ~6 games depending on the size per game (which varies a lot).

And don't sweat it. You obviously know a lot about the wii - so I'm confident you will learn a lot about the wiiu.

ZzzWayne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still deciding on getting a wii u as well. Should we be acting fast since nintendo could release a new update at any moment?

Also, does this brazillian method have better compatibility than loadiine?

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been 9 months since 5.5.1 went live; it's anyone's guess what Nintendo might be planning.

Loadiine has great compatibility, but some games run slowly. SM3DW is a total pain on loadiine. However loadiine is the only way to play eshop exclusive titles and non-legit dlc.

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend keeping your Wii if you already have it modded....as it has been stated, you can play vWii games OR Wii U games with the same hard drive....personally, I prefer to keep homebrew/backups on their designated console (i.e. I have a DS and 3DS, even though the 3DS can play DS backups, I would rather play them on DS and keep the 3DS for 3DS content....my PS3 has CFW, it can play PS1 and PS2 backups too...but I prefer to play PS3 only on it)

SwaGoat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I would recommend keeping your Wii if you already have it modded....as it has been stated, you can play vWii games OR Wii U games with the same hard drive....personally, I prefer to keep homebrew/backups on their designated console (i.e. I have a DS and 3DS, even though the 3DS can play DS backups, I would rather play them on DS and keep the 3DS for 3DS content....my PS3 has CFW, it can play PS1 and PS2 backups too...but I prefer to play PS3 only on it)

As far as I could understand,you said that I should keep the modded wii for reasons of ''originality'' right? Well I don't really mind keeping it,but the problem is that I can't raise money easier than that.I know it won't sell for lots,but it's a sufficient amount I guess.Thanks for telling me your opinion,though.

It's been 9 months since 5.5.1 went live; it's anyone's guess what Nintendo might be planning.

Loadiine has great compatibility, but some games run slowly. SM3DW is a total pain on loadiine. However loadiine is the only way to play eshop exclusive titles and non-legit dlc.

That's something that tottaly slipped my mind.Are there any version related problems?I mean like,on 3DS,you can't do almost anything on version 11.0 and above,is there something similar to this on the Wii U?
Also,are there lots of games running slow,or having compability problems in general?Is there any way to play these games for free? Just asking 'cause the SM3DW was on my to-play list :P

I'm still deciding on getting a wii u as well. Should we be acting fast since nintendo could release a new update at any moment?

Also, does this brazillian method have better compatibility than loadiine?

Good luck on finding your way to Wii U Hacking

Aneesh India

Trophies
XP
Country
India
i am just in the same boat. i have managed myself to hack couple of Wii's, ps vita and ps3's downgrades.

Stepping into the Wii-U scene just now and i remember hacking a wii-u 1 year back to play wii games on it.

My question to you guys is :- is it wise to wait for a cfw/actual IOSU hack or i can continue following the brazilian method of installation.
My interests are Wii- u game backups only ;) as we have a decent library of games to try and yes i might pick one wii-u for chirstmas

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Wii U is not the same as 3DS, the latest firmware version (5.5.1 as of this post) has been fully exploited, and it's the recommended one to update to.

If you want free DLC, you should wait for a CFW with sign patches.

Aneesh India

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Wii U is not the same as 3DS, the latest firmware version (5.5.1 as of this post) has been fully exploited, and it's the recommended one to update to.

If you want free DLC, you should wait for a CFW with sign patches.

thanks.

no i dont think i need any DLC's and i dont need online games too. I just want it to play backup games off an external usb harddrive that i can dedicate only for wii- u games :)

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I could understand,you said that I should keep the modded wii for reasons of ''originality'' right? Well I don't really mind keeping it,but the problem is that I can't raise money easier than that.I know it won't sell for lots,but it's a sufficient amount I guess.Thanks for telling me your opinion,though.

That's something that tottaly slipped my mind.Are there any version related problems?I mean like,on 3DS,you can't do almost anything on version 11.0 and above,is there something similar to this on the Wii U?
Also,are there lots of games running slow,or having compability problems in general?Is there any way to play these games for free? Just asking 'cause the SM3DW was on my to-play list :P

Good luck on finding your way to Wii U Hacking
As @AboodXD said, everything runs on the latest fw. You don't need to worry about what fw your system comes with because you can just update it, and all current homebrew will run.

As for games. Some titles don't run well on loadiine, but the Brazilian method has perfect compatibility. You can't play eShop only titles with the Brazilian method, but those titles are more simplistic and tend to run well on loadiine anyway. So for SM3DW, just install it with the Brazilian method and it will work perfectly.

At this point most games can be run very well with either loadiine or the Brazilian method. Slow or unplayable games are no longer an issue.

SwaGoat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Oh,so you can use both methods.I thought it was a choice or something,thanks at any case.I also would like to ask something else,1.How do I get internet and all running on the Wii U? Is it like the Wii? (That's an awful question since I can't explain it so it can be good enough,but the problem is that I don't have wifi access in the room I'm going to set up the wii u.It's ranging between bad and not so bad,so I don't know if this'll work out,I use internet cables mostly,anyways) 2.The VCs,and the ''wad-like'' games,what format and size are they? They're just like every other wii u game or is there something different on them?

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh,so you can use both methods.I thought it was a choice or something,thanks at any case.I also would like to ask something else,1.How do I get internet and all running on the Wii U? Is it like the Wii? (That's an awful question since I can't explain it so it can be good enough,but the problem is that I don't have wifi access in the room I'm going to set up the wii u.It's ranging between bad and not so bad,so I don't know if this'll work out,I use internet cables mostly,anyways) 2.The VCs,and the ''wad-like'' games,what format and size are they? They're just like every other wii u game or is there something different on them?
1. Internet connection is like with the Wii. You're going to have to buy an Ethernet adaptor if you want a wired connection.
2. VC is just like every other game. The format is called [loadiine ready] and it's a folder with all the game resources in it. Depending on the game you could be looking at a few MB to a few GB.

Last edited by x65943,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-