Geohot Talks About Graf_Chokolo

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Nujui, Feb 27, 2011.

Feb 27, 2011

Geohot Talks About Graf_Chokolo by Nujui at 4:09 PM (5,380 Views / 0 Likes) 76 replies

1. Nujui
    OP

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Geohot has something to say about graf_chokolo, who's house was raided some days ago.

As many of you already know, 2 days ago his house was raided by the German police. Talk about a guy who clearly had no involvement at all with piracy, cheating, or the things Sony claims to care about. Do you want to know what he has that enrages the suits at Sony so much? Talent.

Some people call me immature, and you know what, they are probably right. Some call me stubborn, and they are right too. But this pales grossly in comparison to Sony, who is so butthurt over the PS3 being hacked they they are blinded by rage and incompetence.

A question, how many people do you think knew or cared on January 10 about all this? Maybe a couple hundred thousand? Under a percent of your market share. And these are geeks, who frankly aren’t going to change their content purchasing habits based on the news. These are the kind of people who really are hacking their PS3 just for the sake of doing it, just cause it’s cool. The kind of people who are telling you the truth when they say they really did just hack their PS3 to run Linux. Or they are diehard pirates who never would have bought the games anyway, you know the type.

Now fast forward to February 25. Consistently, the top Sony related news article is about the PS3 being hacked. And the causal gamer comes along and sees, oh cool, the PS3 has been hacked, now I don’t have to buy games. With a few google searches, they come across stuff that I or graf_chokolo had nothing at all to do with. They install it and hit the torrent sites. Hell, I was on a political news show last night, you think those people ever would have heard about this?

Just imagine what the third party devs are thinking. The PS3 is hacked forever and Sony can’t do anything but fire away at scapegoats. Great confidence boost.

This grand show against people who aren’t even pirates has to be one of the worst corporate moves in recent history, perhaps even as dumb as the rootkit fiasco. Your competition fixes the problem technically and moves on. They want it to stay quiet. And as far as sending a message to “evil” hackers goes, it really isn’t working. Just read the writings of graf_chokolo.

And I quote “SONY wants about 750.000 euros from me if i don’t cooperate They don’t know me at all I don’t care about it and they might double it The higher is the sum the higher gets my motivation They don’t understand what makes me tick. Money and even my life doesn’t mean to me very much without knowledge. I have a scientific mind and the knowledge is food to my brain.”

They’ll never understand people like us. They are scared, as they rightfully should be. We built your PS3. We built this world. We are not mindless consumers. It is us with the brains and curiosity, not you with the guns, jails, suits, titles, and dollars. And the truth is, if all of you disappeared tomorrow, the world would continue on fine. Good luck surviving without people like graf_chokolo.
    [/p]

[​IMG]Source 1

[​IMG]Source 2

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Psh... obvious sony-hater drama queen attention whore is obvious.

M I DOIN' IT RITE GUISE?

3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Pfft attention whore!

oh...right...

Anyway, I don't consider this news...GeoHot is making a comment. Is everyone just hanging on his every word now?

4. SmokeFox

Member SmokeFox Jesus Christ is the Lord

Brazil
    I am a polite guy, but this Geohot thing is getting really annoying.

5. twiztidsinz

United States
    Don't listen to it?
    Oh wait, I forgot... he tied you to a chair and is forcing you to watch and read everything about him.

6. SmokeFox

Brazil
    I'm too tired to reply to you. Oh right, youre so funny, yeay. [​IMG]

7. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    He's right. It's getting out of hand.

Nintendo and Microsoft just brought out new hardware and didn't go lawsuit crazy. They kept it quiet, and look, they're still selling consoles and people still love them.

Sony took the route of just seeing red and sue everything that breaths. And look, even people who don't support Geohot are thinking it's a bit ridiculous. Sony has brought on so much attention and hate upon themselves, that no matter what happens, they're going to end up burned in the end.

8. Nujui
    OP

United States
    I just posted it cause I saw on other news sites. I just thought it was interesting.

9. SmokeFox

Brazil
    NO, i support you little pinky guy, its good, i am not complaining what you posted it, the post is great, but i am talking about this Geohot stuff, the fight, the curses, the law, its everything losting control.

10. twiztidsinz

United States
    If reading about it bothers you, then STOP READING.
    You're not the only one on GBAtemp who wants to read news.

11. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    Why not centralize these news in one place? I've saw that posted somewhere on another topic...

12. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Oh, Geohot spoke. Must we worship the very words he talks about? What a goddamn attention whore.

Geohot: "I got a Coke."

Everyone else: ORGASM

13. Nujui
    OP

United States
    Which topic exactly?

14. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Here's an idea, stop spamming, and stop posting the same crap "attention whore" in every thread about him. Stop going to threads about him then. Others like being updated and support him. You on the other hand just post the same thing, it's considered spam. So don't bother coming into these threads anymore.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Since you didn't read the responses to the first post I'll point it out for you. That's not what happened.

16. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    One, who typed that for him? His lawyers that generous people are donating to him?!
    Two, A baby whines...where's his milk (attention)?
    Three, If Graf_Chokolo wanted to invest knowledge on his brain. Why not invest it on something that's not illegal to begin with?! Criminal Minds, M I RIT?

17. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Maybe himself?

Canon you trying to get attention, so Canon = baby?

Hacking isn't illegal tho.

18. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    If i was sony, the last thing i really would have wanted is my crap to get hacked and then subject to piracy (and yeah thats pretty much the only thing a PS3 can do right now with CFW)

- so basically the premise in which Geohot is working on i.e. Sony upset for being hacked, basically works against him

This guy needs to stop being such a god damn attention seeking creepy looking THING, and go home.

If it wasn't in this sense, then trust me sony wouldn't have gone this far - so basically it is illegal in this context

19. twiztidsinz

United States
    I think Sony is more going for precedent in this case.
    Meaning they're arguing FOR this to be illegal, and if they are found to be "right" then it would be illegal from here on out.

20. Eckin

Member Eckin GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    If you want to talk about My Little Pony and create a new thread every time something is announced like merchandise or a new season, go ahead. I may not like MLP like you do, but I respect your space and if you wanna talk about it, go nuts! As long as you keep it in your threads you ain't hurting no one.

Now if I wanna read about the Sony vs The World case, I should shut the fuck up and keep it to myself and whichever irc channel me and my buddies wanna hang out?

FFS. Ignore the threads you don't like.
    ___

On topic:
    It's interesting to see these entries by GeoHot because they are basically a "tl;dr" about these themes he blogs about. A lot of people seems to think "well that's what graf_chokolo deservers, that evil pirate cheating hacker!" and it was never about that for him. Yeah he is crazy, but this isn't about being quirky or being an attention whore. This is about how absurd Sony's actions are, and our rights as consumers.