GBAtemp Recommends! Racing Gears Advance

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Hadrian, Feb 5, 2009.

Feb 5, 2009
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] GBAtemp Recommends! Racing Gears Advance
    G.R. Issue #16 (GBA)

[​IMG]
    Its back! Sorry for the lateness. Welcome to the Sixteenth issue of GBAtemp Recommends! - a weekly magazine feature in which we share our favourite Game Boy Advance titles. The games we recommend may be top titles from the GBA library, a homebrew, or they may be sleeper hits that flew by the radar, but one thing's certain, they're all fantastic games that deserve your play time!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Racing Gears Advance
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In my opinion the best handheld racer on the GBA. Viewed from a top down view, this is a pretty standard arcade combat racing title where you get to drive real licensed cars, racing against eight other drivers and drive through many real world locations.

The handling of the vehicles is spot on, its just how it should be and you never feel like the car is out of control like most other top down racers out there. The only mistakes that can be made are purely from the player themselves.

Graphically its a absolute treat. Amazing 2D work making it look almost like a 3D title. Vibrant colours and some really great detail in the backgrounds. The sound is everything you want from a racer, lively, tuneful and some very nice brrrrums brrruuums vrrrrroooooms.

This title is one of those "keepers", its challenging and always good for a quick race every now and again. The AI of the other drivers is good too, giving you a bit of a challenge and the added combat keeps the game interesting. Get four friends round with a GBA each and a cable and have some great fun racing and shooting the crap out of their cars.

There was to be a sequel for the DS but that seems to be vapourware as well as Orbital Media's Pirate Battles. I hope they come back one day to bring us some more joy.

2. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Its back! Hmmm looks like a great game as well [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    It was a pretty decent game but I do feel that it's arrival was too late into the gba's cycle (too many alternative games out there). Had it have been released a year or so earlier it probably would have had more success.

4. Smef

Former Staff Smef The GbaTemp Hitchhiker

United States
    This reminds me of micro machines for the original GB. I'll have to check this one out.

5. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    It's really great game.....I had great times with it, and I'm having it on my M3 Perfect right now..

6. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    This is a great game. There was another good racer with 3D elements in it. Can't remember what it was though [​IMG]

7. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    ya i do remember me hooked on this game for a couple of days but if i am not mistaken, this is a short game
    Not bad none the less

8. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Karnaaj Racing? It had a horrendous cover but was a fun racer.

Any more thoughts? Seems like people only wanna discuss the RPG style games. [​IMG]

9. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    I love a good racer=) i just gave this a run and its pretty darn fun (even tho i couldn't place in the top 3 ...errr top 7).

...reminds me of T-Rally and OverTop for NeoGeo

edit: Hadrian, thanks for mentioning Karnaaj. I played it for an hour or so and its quite a good racer, too.

10. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    this is like, 100X better than Micro Machines DS.