GBAtemp Picture Upload Service

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Cyan, Nov 6, 2010.

Nov 6, 2010

GBAtemp Picture Upload Service by Cyan at 10:49 AM (802 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Hi,

What do you think about a sub-folder management for the Pix module ?
    It could help sorting pictures by themes or categories.

I have few personal pictures (avatar, photo, etc.), some others for different tutorials I created, and others for user submitted news (for the front page of gbatemp).
    I think having folders would be better to manage our pictures space.

It could be real sub-folder on the server : (not a good idea, I don't like it. I leave this choice only as reference).
    - http:// pix.gbatemp.net////image_file.ext

or just a virtual sub-folder :
    - http:// pix.gbatemp.net//image_file.ext
    Like actual storage, but in the database let the user set a category for this picture, and show the category as sub-folders icon/tree on the pix.gbatemp.net page. (It could be easy to do in ajax on the left panel).
    The later choice would be easier to implement I think, as users can set categories without changing the URL of their already uploaded files, preventing 404 errors on website with current URL.

The database could use a single text entry to determine all folders and sub-folders, splitting them at a given character (gbatemp, gbatemp|news, personal|photo|2010, etc.) and showing them one by one as a tree.

Insert at the top of the thumbnails column :
    Root [12]
    |- GBAtemp [0]
    |[​IMG]|- News [5]
    |[​IMG]|- Tutorial [20]
    |- Personal [4]
    [​IMG]|- Photo [0]
    [​IMG][​IMG]|- 2010[5]

Options could be :
    - Create a new folder
    - Rename this folder
    - Delete this folder (and delete associated pictures)
    - Delete this folder (and move associated pictures to...)
    - Delete only empty folders ? (easier to manage)
    - Move selected picture to folder...
    - Upload to this folder: [drop down menu]

Moving a picture to another folder would be available on the picture information page only? it will be long to move a lot of picture.
    Anther possibility would be mass command (a page which list current folder's image with checkboxes and an action drop down menu : delete/move)

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    In addition to this could the thumbnails section be paginated- I have over 200 images in there now and seen as they all appear whenever I go to that section it can hammer my connection a bit.

In the meantime I can always abuse my ad blocking stuff but that is not ideal as I do occasionally need said thumbnails.

3. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the suggestion but we won't be making any significant changes to the picture upload service any time soon. Sorry!