GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

What do you think about a sub-folder management for the Pix module ?
It could help sorting pictures by themes or categories.

I have few personal pictures (avatar, photo, etc.), some others for different tutorials I created, and others for user submitted news (for the front page of gbatemp).
I think having folders would be better to manage our pictures space.

It could be real sub-folder on the server : (not a good idea, I don't like it. I leave this choice only as reference).
- http:// pix.gbatemp.net////image_file.ext

or just a virtual sub-folder :
- http:// pix.gbatemp.net//image_file.ext
Like actual storage, but in the database let the user set a category for this picture, and show the category as sub-folders icon/tree on the pix.gbatemp.net page. (It could be easy to do in ajax on the left panel).
The later choice would be easier to implement I think, as users can set categories without changing the URL of their already uploaded files, preventing 404 errors on website with current URL.

The database could use a single text entry to determine all folders and sub-folders, splitting them at a given character (gbatemp, gbatemp|news, personal|photo|2010, etc.) and showing them one by one as a tree.

Insert at the top of the thumbnails column :
Root [12]
|- GBAtemp [0]
|
Tree_spacer.gif
|- News [5]
|
Tree_spacer.gif
|- Tutorial [20]
|- Personal [4]
Tree_spacer.gif
|- Photo [0]
Tree_spacer.gif
Tree_spacer.gif
|- 2010[5]

Options could be :
- Create a new folder
- Rename this folder
- Delete this folder (and delete associated pictures)
- Delete this folder (and move associated pictures to...)
- Delete only empty folders ? (easier to manage)
- Move selected picture to folder...
- Upload to this folder: [drop down menu]

Moving a picture to another folder would be available on the picture information page only? it will be long to move a lot of picture.
Anther possibility would be mass command (a page which list current folder's image with checkboxes and an action drop down menu : delete/move)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In addition to this could the thumbnails section be paginated- I have over 200 images in there now and seen as they all appear whenever I go to that section it can hammer my connection a bit.

In the meantime I can always abuse my ad blocking stuff but that is not ideal as I do occasionally need said thumbnails.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end