GBAtemp game of the week #55

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Jun 7, 2012.

Jun 7, 2012

GBAtemp game of the week #55 by FAST6191 at 6:20 PM (2,945 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom

Although E3 is going on GBAtemp's book game club is rocking a new edition featuring a game worth knowing about.

The quick summary is the GBA, DS, Wii and systems the DS can emulate have a load of really interesting titles among their commercial released, leaked code, homebrew code and ROM hacks both in the top ? lists (not that we pay these lists much attention) and outside them.
    To this end each edition we pick a title or a handful of related ones to showcase which those that wish can play and discuss or discuss if they have otherwise played them. Occasionally there will be an additional/specific criteria which will be stated and other times we might pose a run/challenge.

#55 Summon Night - Swordcraft Story 2 (GBA)

First although it is a sequel it assumes absolutely no knowledge of the previous title or the franchise as a whole.
    The reasonably popular Summon Night series spawned a couple of spinoff titles on the GBA but rather than following in the footsteps of the console titles they instead opted to use a battle system somewhat reminiscent of the tales series. Beyond that this was Atlus at doing what they had become known for and providing a top notch in this case rather humour laced localisation to a Japanese game that might have lacked for a true broad appeal.
    It does indulge in the trope of young villager turns out to be the chosen one but the crafting system of the title and surprisingly well executed combat engine (fighting games were often something of a running joke on the GBA) on top of the story meant many saw a rather mediocre October back in 2006 brightened up and it was among the slew of titles to give the GBA a fine send off.
    There is also a third title in the series but it was already quite late in the GBA lifetime and did not get localised.

First half hour (countless battle footage and lets play videos are available).

[/p]

[​IMG]

GBAtemp release thread[/p]

Was Atlus scraping the bottom of the barrel for something to localise or was it one of their better picks?[/p]

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

2. psxlover

Newcomer psxlover Newbie

Greece
    Where's the discusion thread? Anyway I played this a couple of years ago and I really like it.

3. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    This is the discussion thread.

4. iggloovortex

Member iggloovortex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sadly, i havent even finished swordcraft story 1, but i got very far, and can easily say its a great game. im sure i can safely recommend any game in the series

5. Pablitox

Member Pablitox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    damn how i liked this game

the third one was even better! too bad it was in japanese :/

there is someone in the GBA forum that is trying to translate, but sadly no news so far

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    never heard of this one :wtf:

7. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    This and the first one are amazing. I loved playing them and I'm quite sad that the third one never got localized..

8. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The game's absolutely amazing - one of the best titles the GBA has to offer.

9. Dingoo-fan 32

Member Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I played Summon Night: Twin Age for NDS, but i will try this GBA version too

10. Pablitox

Member Pablitox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    try it, you will not regret it

11. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    It's nothing like Twin Age. In fact, I think it's way, way better. They're serious about the Swordcraft Story part - it's one of the first games that actually approached the subject of crafting in a pleasant and fun way.

2 people like this.
  12. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I loved these series... The fighting system was pretty great, and god... Those familiars.

13. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Loved these so damn much. Some of my favorite GBA games (Outside of Fire Emblem, Boktai, and the Super Robot games). Still sad 3 never got released or translated, and none of the newer Summon Night games seemed to be as fun to me. (Didnt really like Twin Age or the 2nd one for DS)

14. Icealote

Member Icealote My Winter...

Australia
    I prefer the first one since I've finished it. This one proves to be a much bigger challenge. Some mechanics that they changed in this one I didn't like, like how you had to always repair your weapon since the durability was real crap and most of the time you had to rush back home to repair for free when it proved difficult to grind for stuff. Too many tedious things they added.

15. jarejare3

Member jarejare3 PROFILE CHANGE!

Malaysia
    This game is awesome! It was like one of the best games in GBA.

It was better than the first one and the third one was the peak, too bad it didn't get localize.

16. 1234turtles

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I love this game.

17. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    a really fanatsic game. so many mods to do and fun battle. a twist in the story and great dungeons. wonderful game.

18. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    I played both and they upped the durability of the weapons to counter that. If memory serves me, I never had to use whetting stones to repair my weapons, because I could either A. warp back easily B. just go on ahead because the durability is high enough. Although it does depend on playstyle... I used a drill as my main, a sword as a secondary and a spear as long range.

19. redfalcon

Member redfalcon GBATemp Member

Germany
    I remember getting raped by one of the first bosses (that blossom thing with vines) and couldn't figure out what to do. Does it continue being that hard? I loved the music but I don't really seem to understand the battle mechanics.

20. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Added to the 'to-play' list :O I've heard of it but never bothered with it, now my PSP is back in town I should fire it up to play this gem :yaypsp: