FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Although E3 is going on GBAtemp's book game club is rocking a new edition featuring a game worth knowing about.

The quick summary is the GBA, DS, Wii and systems the DS can emulate have a load of really interesting titles among their commercial released, leaked code, homebrew code and ROM hacks both in the top ? lists (not that we pay these lists much attention) and outside them.
To this end each edition we pick a title or a handful of related ones to showcase which those that wish can play and discuss or discuss if they have otherwise played them. Occasionally there will be an additional/specific criteria which will be stated and other times we might pose a run/challenge.

#55 Summon Night - Swordcraft Story 2 (GBA)

First although it is a sequel it assumes absolutely no knowledge of the previous title or the franchise as a whole.
The reasonably popular Summon Night series spawned a couple of spinoff titles on the GBA but rather than following in the footsteps of the console titles they instead opted to use a battle system somewhat reminiscent of the tales series. Beyond that this was Atlus at doing what they had become known for and providing a top notch in this case rather humour laced localisation to a Japanese game that might have lacked for a true broad appeal.
It does indulge in the trope of young villager turns out to be the chosen one but the crafting system of the title and surprisingly well executed combat engine (fighting games were often something of a running joke on the GBA) on top of the story meant many saw a rather mediocre October back in 2006 brightened up and it was among the slew of titles to give the GBA a fine send off.
There is also a third title in the series but it was already quite late in the GBA lifetime and did not get localised.

First half hour (countless battle footage and lets play videos are available).

[/p]

gallery_32303_214_15291.jpg

GBAtemp release thread[/p]

Was Atlus scraping the bottom of the barrel for something to localise or was it one of their better picks?[/p]

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sadly, i havent even finished swordcraft story 1, but i got very far, and can easily say its a great game. im sure i can safely recommend any game in the series

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
damn how i liked this game

the third one was even better! too bad it was in japanese :/

there is someone in the GBA forum that is trying to translate, but sadly no news so far

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This and the first one are amazing. I loved playing them and I'm quite sad that the third one never got localized..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I played Summon Night: Twin Age for NDS, but i will try this GBA version too
It's nothing like Twin Age. In fact, I think it's way, way better. They're serious about the Swordcraft Story part - it's one of the first games that actually approached the subject of crafting in a pleasant and fun way.

Reactions: 2 people

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loved these so damn much. Some of my favorite GBA games (Outside of Fire Emblem, Boktai, and the Super Robot games). Still sad 3 never got released or translated, and none of the newer Summon Night games seemed to be as fun to me. (Didnt really like Twin Age or the 2nd one for DS)

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I prefer the first one since I've finished it. This one proves to be a much bigger challenge. Some mechanics that they changed in this one I didn't like, like how you had to always repair your weapon since the durability was real crap and most of the time you had to rush back home to repair for free when it proved difficult to grind for stuff. Too many tedious things they added.

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
This game is awesome! It was like one of the best games in GBA.

It was better than the first one and the third one was the peak, too bad it didn't get localize.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I prefer the first one since I've finished it. This one proves to be a much bigger challenge. Some mechanics that they changed in this one I didn't like, like how you had to always repair your weapon since the durability was real crap and most of the time you had to rush back home to repair for free when it proved difficult to grind for stuff. Too many tedious things they added.

I played both and they upped the durability of the weapons to counter that. If memory serves me, I never had to use whetting stones to repair my weapons, because I could either A. warp back easily B. just go on ahead because the durability is high enough. Although it does depend on playstyle... I used a drill as my main, a sword as a secondary and a spear as long range.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I remember getting raped by one of the first bosses (that blossom thing with vines) and couldn't figure out what to do. Does it continue being that hard? I loved the music but I don't really seem to understand the battle mechanics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol