Homebrew GBARunner2

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice that you got it working! It's almost certain that I'm getting an IS-NITRO-EMULATOR now, so hopefully it is gonna help me a lot with fixing those bugs. With it I'll be able to debug gbarunner2 on real hardware, put code and data breakpoints and see the memory. Then I can compare stuff to values in no$gba running the gba games for example.
If you want to debug I would recommend trying "Game Boy Advance Test Suite". It runs many hardware tests and tells you the results, with expected results to compare to. I tried it with gbarunner 2 and it did pretty poorly.

***Game Boy Advance Test Suite Results for gbarunner2 Commit 596fca3 (2017/02/04)***

Memory tests--- Passed 843/1552
I/O read tests--- Passed 95/122
Timing tests--- Passed 29/1260 (Ouch)
Carry Tests--- Passed 93/93 (yay)

and video tests don't give you a pass/fail ratio like the others.

This test suite seems like a very practical way to debug gbarunner2, if not as fun as playing games and reading the memory :P

Last edited by Roboman,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you want to debug I would recommend trying "Game Boy Advance Test Suite". It runs many hardware tests and tells you the results, with expected results to compare to. I tried it with gbarunner 2 and it did pretty poorly.

***Game Boy Advance Test Suite Results for gbarunner2 Commit 596fca3 (2017/02/04)***

Memory tests--- Passed 843/1552
I/O read tests--- Passed 95/122
Timing tests--- Passed 29/1260 (Ouch)
Carry Tests--- Passed 93/93 (yay)

and video tests don't give you a pass/fail ratio like the others.

This test suite seems like a very practical way to debug gbarunner2, if not as fun as playing games and reading the memory :P
I already used that indeed. The timings will never be the same as the gba, since it's a different processor with a different clock speed (and I don't know if it uses timers, but if it does, it will miss a bit when it uses cascade mode atm). The i/o read and memory tests are very useful though.

@Dodain47 I don't know if you read it, but could you try the 512 read branch and see if it affects speed?

Last edited by Gericom,
Reactions: Roboman
D

Deleted User

I already used that indeed. The timings will never be the same as the gba, since it's a different processor with a different clock speed (and I don't know if it uses timers, but if it does, it will miss a bit when it uses cascade mode atm). The i/o read and memory tests are very useful though.

@Dodain47 I don't know if you read it, but could you try the 512 read branch and see if it affects speed?
I have tested it with a Couple of Games.

The Speed is more or less the same. Castlevania Circle of the Moon, Donkey Kong Country and Dragonball Advance Adventure have a little less Slowdown.

Donkey Kong Country 2 has a bit more Noise.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have tested it with a Couple of Games.

The Speed is more or less the same. Castlevania Circle of the Moon, Donkey Kong Country and Dragonball Advance Adventure have a little less Slowdown.

Donkey Kong Country 2 has a bit more Noise.
Hmm, okay. Do you think I should merge this into master? I think the difference will be big for people using 32k clusters, but that has to be verified.

D

Deleted User

I would like to test it a bit more before merging with master.

Edit: I´m finished testing. You can merge the block read with the master version.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

What are the outcomes of your testing?
That the block read Version little Differences has to the current Master.

Like a bit more Noise. I couldn´t find much of a Difference.

Last edited by ,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Could you take a look at Yoshi´s Island? I´m curious why it is broken now.
I'll have a look at it when I have time. As for more complex bugfixing, I am pushing that forth to when I get my is-nitro, as that will make it much easier

D

Deleted User

I have tested these Games with the GBARunner2 File Explorer Version 2017/02/12:

Ace Lightning (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Action Man - Robot Atak (E): Almost Full Speed with a little Slowdown. No Audio. Much Noise. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Action Replay (E) (v3.3) (Unl): The Device freezes after the BIOS Intro. Unplayable.

Action Replay GBX (E) (Unl): The Device freezes after the BIOS Intro. Unplayable.

Action Replay GBX (E) (v3.1) (Unl): The Device freezes after the BIOS Intro. Unplayable.

Activision Anthology (U): The Game reboots after selecting a Game. Unplayable.

Adventure of Tokyo Disney Sea (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Aero the Acro-Bat - Rascal Rival Revenge (E): Sram patching required to boot the Game. Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Agassi Tennis Generation (E): The Game is very unstable and reboots before starting the Match. Unplayable.

Agent Hugo - Roborumble (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Aggressive Inline (E): I get an White Screen after the BIOS Intro. Unplayable.

Aigle de Guerre, L' (Fr): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Akagi (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Aleck Bordon Adventure - Tower & Shaft Advance (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio with a little Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Alex Rider - Stormbreaker (E): I get an AUNK 0000B500 Error on the Touchscreen after the BIOS Intro. I get an UNDF 02406E30 Error on the Touchscreen after Sram patching the Game. Unplayable.

Alienators - Evolution Continues (UE): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

All Grown Up! - Express Yourself (UE): Full Speed. Very Good Audio with a little Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

All-Star Baseball 2003 (U): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

All-Star Baseball 2004 (U): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Amazing Virtual Sea-Monkeys (U): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

American Bass Challenge (U): I get an Black Screen after the BIOS Intro. Unplayable.

American Dragon - Jake Long - Rise of the Huntsclan! (UE): The Game has much Slowdown. No Audio. Some Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

American Idol (U): I get an White Screen after the BIOS Intro. Unplayable.

An American Tail - Fievel's Gold Rush (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. There is some Noise on the Pause Screen. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Angel Collection - Mezase! Gakuen no Fashion Leader (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Angel Collection 2 - Pichimo ni Narou (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Angelique (J): Full Speed. The Audio has much Noise. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Animal Mania - Dokidoki Aishou Check (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Animal Snap - Rescue Them 2 by 2 (E): The Screen is almost completely black. It is very hard to see whats going on. Unplayable.

Animal Yokochou - Doki Doki Kyushutsu Daisakusen ! no Maki (J): The Screen turns black after the Titlescreen. Unplayable.

Animal Yokochou - Doki Doki Shinkyuu Shiken! no Kan (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Ant Bully (E): Full Speed. No Audio. Much Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Antz - Extreme Racing (E): The Mode 7 Floor is missing. Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

Ao-Zoura to Nakamatachi - Yume no Bouken (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Archer Maclean's 3D Pool (U): Full Speed. No Audio. Much Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Arctic Tale (U):
Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Army Men - Operation Green (UE): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Game Boy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Army Men - Turf Wars (U): Almost Full Speed with some Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise and stuttering. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Army Men Advance (UE): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Around the World in 80 Days (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Arthur and the Invisibles (U): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Arthur and the Minimoys (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Ashita no Joe - Makka ni Moeagare! (J): Full Speed. Very Good Audio with a little Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Atari Anniversary Advance (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Atlantis - The Lost Empire (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Atomic Betty (UE): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

ATV - Quad Power Racing (UE): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

ATV - Thunder Ridge Riders (E): The Game is Very Slow. No Audio. Much Noise. Many Gfx Glitches. Unplayable.

Avatar - The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth (U): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Avatar - The Legend of Aang (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Azumanga Daiou Advance (J): I get an White Screen after the BIOS Intro. You can hear the Music playing. Unplayable.

Attachments

• gbarunner2.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 354

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compatability for this emulator keeps getting better :) . But it's not all that useful for the typical user because save support isn't implemented yet.

How difficult would it be to add a crude save mechanism by dumping the sram to a file when a button is pressed? Then the next time you load the rom it checks for the save file and just loads the save into the emulated Sram.
Save support is one of the few things gbaemu4ds still does better than gbarunner2.

(And BTW why is there a 2 in the name?)

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Compatability for this emulator keeps getting better :) . But it's not all that useful for the typical user because save support isn't implemented yet.

How difficult would it be to add a crude save mechanism by dumping the sram to a file when a button is pressed? Then the next time you load the rom it checks for the save file and just loads the save into the emulated Sram.
Save support is one of the few things gbaemu4ds still does better than gbarunner2.

(And BTW why is there a 2 in the name?)
The hardest part of the saving is actually the dumping to a file. The creation of a new file actually. Maybe @T-Tudor could have a look at that. I would also like to implement the different save types at some point, since sram patching breaks some games appearently (such as SMB3).

The 2 comes from the fact that I attempted something like this before, but by prepatching the gba rom. That didn't work well. So this was the second attempt, so it's more of a working title.

Reactions: marc00077
D

Deleted User

Somehow the GBARunner File Explorer Version doesn´t work for me anymore.

I have an GBA Ordner with bios.bin and the GBARunner file explorer version for ds on the Root of my SD Card.

When starting the gbarunner I always get the LAST DLDI based on Message on the Touchscreen.

The Master and Blockread Version work perfectly.

Is it possible for the File Explorer Version to get broken after some testing?

I tested about 30 Games with it Yesterday.

I have put the Version I´m using below.

Attachments

• GBARunner2-file_explorer.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 169

T-Tudor

Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
Somehow the GBARunner File Explorer Version doesn´t work for me anymore.

I have an GBA Ordner with bios.bin and the GBARunner file explorer version for ds on the Root of my SD Card.

When starting the gbarunner I always get the LAST DLDI based on Message on the Touchscreen.

The Master and Blockread Version work perfectly.

Is it possible for the File Explorer Version to get broken after some testing?

I tested about 30 Games with it Yesterday.

I have put the Version I´m using below.

That's weird, can you try this one?

Attachments

• GBARunner2-file_explorer.zip
    22.7 KB · Views: 208

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over