Homebrew gbaemu4ds: GBA emulator for DS(i) (DSi Entry)

Is the graphic better if you use the sc Version and the upper screen on a 3DS

• I can't do that (have no 3DS) (have not tested that)

Votes: 110 40.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 48 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 89 32.6%

• Total voters

LukeRolt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One last problem. How do you save the game correctly?
This is for Pokemon Sapphire.
If it works, save in-game first, then press L+R+A+B, then go down to "save save" and press A. Then give it a moment, then you can resume.
It doesn't load the rom when I try to use the .gba.sav file.
Here is what I do:
  1. Open code_container_new_irq.nds
  2. Choose (Pokemon) Sapphire.gba
  3. Then I open savefile and choose Sapphire.gba.sav
  4. Then I play gbafile (start emu).
  5. I choose SaveTypeAutomatic.(I don't know what I'm meant to choose?)
  6. fps11 60/11
  7. Videosyncline 159
  8. I get blank screen.
Can anyone help me?

loco365

Trophies
XP
If it works, save in-game first, then press L+R+A+B, then go down to "save save" and press A. Then give it a moment, then you can resume.
Here is what I do:
  6. fps11 60/11
  7. Videosyncline 159
  8. I get blank screen.
Can anyone help me?
Choose the option on the bottom. Not Automatic.

piemastr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ichichfly you are one great developer. its amazing to see how far you have come since the first post.
so i tried pokemon sapphire and it works, but when i encounter a wild pokemon in the grass, it blacks out.
Im using the(E) version, as some ppl have advised to do. Just wanted to ask if anyone tested past the beginning
to confirm if other ppl have the same problem.

Kaoid

Kai
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here is what I do:
  6. fps11 60/11
  7. Videosyncline 159
  8. I get blank screen.
Can anyone help me?

make sure you select yuor savefile instead of the rom first. then select the savefile option and select the rom then click start gbaemu. savefile auto will work fine. its the way you loaded the rom; you ended up booting the savefile instead of the rom. 1. click the .gba.sav instead. then click select savefile and click the rom. the load the emu and click auto

Mike19

Trophies
XP
Country
Could ichichfly or whoever is updating the compatibility list please add this game to the list:

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Battle Assault (U)
Rev38 newirq
Description: Works at almost full speed with a few character graphic errors but otherwise fully playable.

T-Tudor

Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
@Zelda Minish Cap this is because of the new irq hooks that fix some games press the X button at the place where it normally crashes and it should work.
It crashes instantly. I can't make it work.

Could ichichfly or whoever is updating the compatibility list please add this game to the list:

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Battle Assault (U)
Rev38 newirq
Description: Works at almost full speed with a few character graphic errors but otherwise fully playable.
Posted.

Compatibility List Updated.

Here's what I found. If in game with crashed sprites you put the Fps 60/1, it will fix the sprites(for most games). Anyway it wont fix all games but totally make the the sprites work better. For example if on Metal Slug if you put 60/11 fps, you'll see that sprites aren't displayed correctly, but if you put 60/1 then the sprites will come more clear but still crashed.
I think that such games need more fps.

@ichichfly can add more frames; and it would be better if you change it so you can select number of frames per one second.

Changing to 60/1 fps will also make some games lag, slower or freeze with white/black screens between cut-scenes.

***Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen U versions work with oldirq but have some crashed sprites and there is problem with saving. You can't save, neither load a save from VBA.

ENJOY.

Mike19

Trophies
XP
Country
T-Tudor, is it ok if I can post some games for you to add to the compatibility list? I just want to help because it seems like you have a lot of work on your hands. I will be sure to give you the exact details for games with problems. Also, don't worry about if I post games that are already on the list because I will check before testing anyway.

GuyLuigi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This emulator is fantastic!

I would like to help although I do not know about homebrew programming, I can always put my experiences since I have the GBA fullset

*Super Mario Advance (E): Works perfectly as Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Bros., minor graphical issues
*Sonic Advance 2 (E): Crash after enter your name
*Pokémon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire (E): Works perfectly, minor graphical issues
*Pokémon Rubí (S): Works perfectly, minor graphical issues
*Wario Ware. Inc.: Minigame Mania (E): White screen
*Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (E): Works perfectly up to the first door on the fourth level, where the game crashes, minor graphical issues

If you focus the screen, place a border, emulates the sound and the saves, this emulator will be perfect =D

Mike19

Trophies
XP
Country
This emulator is fantastic!

I would like to help although I do not know about homebrew programming, I can always put my experiences since I have the GBA fullset

*Super Mario Advance (E): Works perfectly as Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Bros., minor graphical issues
*Sonic Advance 2 (E): Crash after enter your name
*Pokémon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire (E): Works perfectly, minor graphical issues
*Pokémon Rubí (S): Works perfectly, minor graphical issues
*Wario Ware. Inc.: Minigame Mania (E): White screen
*Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (E): Works perfectly up to the first door on the fourth level, where the game crashes, minor graphical issues

If you focus the screen, place a border, emulates the sound and the saves, this emulator will be perfect =D
Try not to get your hopes up too high because although ichichfly is an awesome programmer, the DS probably can't handle sound and game emulation at the same time without breaking compatibility or frame rate. Saves and screen focus/border will defiantly be implemented later but right now it is all about getting the compatibility list to go green!

loco365

Trophies
XP
The only thing I really want is to get rid of the extra garbage graphics on the screen and stretch out the GBA screen so we only see what you would normally see on a Gameboy Advance.

angelXwind

-angelXwind sinks back into her hiding hole-
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
angelxwind.net
XP
Country
United States
If anyone actually cares, this emulator is able to run on the EZ-Flash Vi (5i), and the Action Replay DSi. There are random garbage graphics thrown around in my own self-dumped copy of Pokemon Ruby (U), but I suspect that's due to the way the emulator outputs GBA graphics, without the border. (which is nice)

Also, a note for anyone trying to run Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire, make sure you load a savefile into the emulator. Otherwise, it'll just hang on a white screen.

I'll update the compatibility list with some games I've tried soon.

Edit: It seems that the compatibility list removed the column for the flashcard used...

Edit 2: Should a Flashcard Compatibility table be added to the wiki page?

loco365

Trophies
XP
If anyone actually cares, this emulator is able to run on the EZ-Flash Vi (5i), and the Action Replay DSi. There are random garbage graphics thrown around in my own self-dumped copy of Pokemon Ruby (U), but I suspect that's due to the way the emulator outputs GBA graphics, without the border. (which is nice)

Also, a note for anyone trying to run Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire, make sure you load a savefile into the emulator. Otherwise, it'll just hang on a white screen.

I'll update the compatibility list with some games I've tried soon.

Edit: It seems that the compatibility list removed the column for the flashcard used...

Edit 2: Should a Flashcard Compatibility table be added to the wiki page?
It was there, but flashcards don't affect compatibility so it was removed.

angelXwind

-angelXwind sinks back into her hiding hole-
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
angelxwind.net
XP
Country
United States

I see. Also, getting mixed results with Pokemon Ruby (U). This is one I dumped using Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool, but it displays "The save file is corrupt, etc." before the Continue, New Game, and Option screen. Yet it loads the savegame perfectly? Saving is another story, I heard that it has issues with saving, and I can see that. At times, the L R A B menu doesn't even come up...

And seeing as flashcards no longer affect compatibility, perhaps the "R4i-Gold" messages should be omitted out of the emulator? :V

loco365

Trophies
XP

I see. Also, getting mixed results with Pokemon Ruby (U). This is one I dumped using Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool, but it displays "The save file is corrupt, etc." before the Continue, New Game, and Option screen. Yet it loads the savegame perfectly? Saving is another story, I heard that it has issues with saving, and I can see that. At times, the L R A B menu doesn't even come up...

And seeing as flashcards no longer affect compatibility, perhaps the "R4i-Gold" messages should be omitted out of the emulator? :V
I've had no success in saving yet, but I am trying to perfect it. And yeah, you may need to try a few times to get the menu up. And totally, we should remove that "R4i-Gold" message.

T-Tudor

Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
T-Tudor, is it ok if I can post some games for you to add to the compatibility list? I just want to help because it seems like you have a lot of work on your hands. I will be sure to give you the exact details for games with problems. Also, don't worry about if I post games that are already on the list because I will check before testing anyway.
Sure. You want to add results here or to compatibility list?
The only thing I really want is to get rid of the extra garbage graphics on the screen and stretch out the GBA screen so we only see what you would normally see on a Gameboy Advance.
At least it would be better if screen will be covered with this:
gallery_225478_1353_534.png

Reactions: 1 person

Mike19

Trophies
XP
Country
Updated compatibility list.

Games added:
Advance Wars 1 and 2
Alien Hominid
Astro Boy: Omega Factor

More to come later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!