HateBreed

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok so i was thinking.. instead of trying to create a gba emulator for ds.. why dont ppl try converting the gba game to a ds game..like program it to play on a certain screen.. like creating a program that can convert the gba file (input) and make it a nds.file (output).. wouldn't that make more sense and take less effort?

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
NO! God, why do you noobs never ever use THE SEARCH BUTTON! With the technology we have at the moment, it's simply NOT POSSIBLE!!!
Seems to me you did not read the first post.

Anyways, to the OP:
The way GBA games work is very different than GBA (as in their structure). I don't really know what it would take to make such a program. But its probably not worth it (too much time when there are other solutions already).

Burnedmagix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't you think every possible idea was given a thought?
Something as simple as converting the two files would've been already talked over.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Its really not. They use pretty different coding structures to my knowledge. The DS does have the hardware to run GBA games but only via slot-2 as via slot-1 all the other features are available as the card is running in DS mode, a completely different structure (as far as processor structure and ram are concerned) to the GBA mode.

This idea has been hit upon by many n00bs in the past and its basically identical to the N64 porting thing. What you are asking for is a complete port of games to the DS hardware which needs to be tailored to each game.

HateBreed

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well think of it like this.. because on my acekard i was bored so i put a gba game and it didnt show up.. so i renamed the file pokemon ruby.nds and it showed up.. but it wouldnt play.. so idk...

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
HappyDSI said:
well think of it like this.. because on my acekard i was bored so i put a gba game and it didnt show up.. so i renamed the file pokemon ruby.nds and it showed up.. but it wouldnt play.. so idk...

You could take Crysis.exe and rename it Crysis.nds. It would show up on your flashcart, but the DS wouldn't be able to play it.

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HappyDSI said:
I am not a noob!!! It could be possible.. if a gbc or gb game can be converted to play on java then this too is possible...

Yes you are. And the file structures are different, so It's not possible.

But I hate it when people say it's not possible. Has anyone actually tried to convert a .GBA game to a .NDS game?

HateBreed

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
HappyDSI said:

You could take Crysis.exe and rename it Crysis.nds. It would show up on your flashcart, but the DS wouldn't be able to play it.

I guess.. but idk it seems that it would be easier.. wat is the point of making an emulator andhaving to retest it and retest it and retest it.. so idk i guess.. how do you close this lol

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
You don't, the mods do when they realise the noobish-ness of the thread.

What you are proposing is possible for 1 or 2 games if someone had the time to bother but not to convert every single GBA game ever. We have slot-2 devices to run our GBA games

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SCVgeo said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
NO! God, why do you noobs never ever use THE SEARCH BUTTON! With the technology we have at the moment, it's simply NOT POSSIBLE!!!
Seems to me you did not read the first post.

Anyways, to the OP:
The way GBA games work is very different than GBA (as in their structure). I don't really know what it would take to make such a program. But its probably not worth it (too much time when there are other solutions already).
I DID read it, actually, so it seems YOU didn't read MY post.

Also, since when are you in the CCC?

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
If you download SNES roms, and change the file extension to .txt, then open it with notepad and type the words "Open=OnDS" as the first line, then save and rename the extension to .nds, it will automatically work without any emulators.
/s

This thread is full of fail.

HateBreed

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well wat im talking about is making a file converter.. like just the program so ppl can download it and convert the rom themselves... and nothing is impossible.. psp3000 unhackable? impossible? NOOO!!!! never say its imposible

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Dude, read my post again.
It isn't impossible but completely impractical. You are asking for a complete engine rewrite to work on DS hardware which is just not possible to put into a program unless its tailored to 1 specific GBA game.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HappyDSI said:
well wat im talking about is making a file converter.. like just the program so ppl can download it and convert the rom themselves... and nothing is impossible.. psp3000 unhackable? impossible? NOOO!!!! never say its imposible
The fact of the matter is that IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. The Slot-1 function of the DSi is just not powerful enough to run GBA games. We would need to hack DSi mode to even think about GBA games.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
HappyDSI said:
Hackability is another thing totally (e.g.: GameCube ISO Loader for Wii, difficult, but POSSIBLE, even if there are some serious limits in doing it).
You're not asking to run GBA games on a GBA, but to run them on a DS, which is something TOTALLY different.

You don't just get and MAGICALLY convert things from a format to another. Otherwise why emulators would even exist?
Oh silly programmers, to think that they wasted entire days of their life emulating something when they could've just converted them!
yaypsp.gif

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
HappyDSI said:

[lol]You might be able to run WoW, but who in their right mind would want to do that? XD[/lol]
But seriously, how is it that people CAN'T read anymore?
I guess we should lock this and keep the mystery going :\

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You repeating the same thing isn't going to suddenly make it happen, or make people think it's possible. Either do it yourself, or don't try to tell us what "should be easier".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk