Is there a way to connect a GBA emulator with a physical wii to use the emulator like a real GBA?

ack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has something like this been done before? Using nintendont, we already have a way to use usb controllers in gamecube games via the wii's usb ports, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make the gba to gamecube connection be over usb, and then have a computer running a gba emulator at the other side (although I assume it would have to have usb C input since you're not supposed to make usb a male to male connectors)

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has something like this been done before? Using nintendont, we already have a way to use usb controllers in gamecube games via the wii's usb ports, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make the gba to gamecube connection be over usb, and then have a computer running a gba emulator at the other side (although I assume it would have to have usb C input since you're not supposed to make usb a male to male connectors)
Nintendont does support the GBA link cable.

ack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Further, would it be possible to, instead of using a computer, having a raspberry pi or something that's connected to an infrared port, and then have a 3ds running in gba mode, with the nonexistent link cable port redirected to the ir port, so you can effectively use the 3ds as a gba? Or is that port not accessible to the arm7?
Post automatically merged:

Do you know of any games that you would use the GBA functionality?
Wind waker, animal crossing, etc

Reactions: SylverReZ

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If using real wii, yep, you gonna need a real gba.

If you're using dolphin, then latest revisions has built in easy to get into gba link cable support, feat. mgba.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Short answer: No. Either emulate, or buy a GBA, GBP, or an accurate clone console.

Long, nerdy-ass answer: What you propose is a legitimately interesting engineering topic. Anyone who knows anything about computers can tell you that you could create a USB device that can link an emulator to a GameCube by using the correct protocols - but the problem is how much latency would there be.

Networking a GBA to a Gamecube requires tight timings, and connecting it to a Wii running in Wii Mode (Nintendont and Devolution) is even tighter, which causes many third-party cables to fail. (In Gamecube mode, it's basically the same - the tighter timing is caused by IOS, not hardware) It's not latency-friendly in the least, which is why Dolphin stalls like mad if your computer can't handle emulating the network perfectly. It's beyond my skill to develop such a prototype, and beyond my interest level to learn how (I already have 3 GBAs and a GBP, thanks kindly) but it is at least hypothetically possible, but doesn't yet exist.

Reactions: ack

ack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short answer: No. Either emulate, or buy a GBA, GBP, or an accurate clone console.

Long, nerdy-ass answer: What you propose is a legitimately interesting engineering topic. Anyone who knows anything about computers can tell you that you could create a USB device that can link an emulator to a GameCube by using the correct protocols - but the problem is how much latency would there be.

Networking a GBA to a Gamecube requires tight timings, and connecting it to a Wii running in Wii Mode (Nintendont and Devolution) is even tighter, which causes many third-party cables to fail. (In Gamecube mode, it's basically the same - the tighter timing is caused by IOS, not hardware) It's not latency-friendly in the least, which is why Dolphin stalls like mad if your computer can't handle emulating the network perfectly. It's beyond my skill to develop such a prototype, and beyond my interest level to learn how (I already have 3 GBAs and a GBP, thanks kindly) but it is at least hypothetically possible, but doesn't yet exist.
I suppose you would have to also make a custom USB driver for the PC, so compatibility would be rather low

Reactions: N7Kopper

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose you would have to also make a custom USB driver for the PC, so compatibility would be rather low
Not only would you need to make different drivers for different operating systems, but also different architectures. Kernel-level software like drivers can't be shimmed - it's not as (relatively) simple as running Worms Armageddon on Linux, The Sims 1 on modern Windows, or Gamecube games in Wii mode. The exponent is frankly absurd.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto