retro/emulator controller options?

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So my plan is to use my wii as an "everything box" for my CRT, including wii and gamecube games plus emulation. The wii and gamecube part I've got covered controller-wise, but for emulated games I'm wondering what my best option is in terms of controllers. If all else fails, I'll just get a standard classic controller, but ideally I'd like to be able to use something like this (that transparent purple makes my wallet start sweating) (also, for that particular controller, would this do anything? it's the same connector but it doesn't say anything about wii compatibility on the site.), or even just an xbox controller. Could I do this in any way?

Ideally whatever I use would be recognized as a classic controller, so in a pinch I could use it as one in a wii game or something, but a gamecube controller would work too since all the emulators I use are compatible.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you are to use emulators you should first consider if the ones you want to use actually support those third party controllers you want to use.

A quick search told me that the 8bitDo SN30 Pro is not compatible. The adapter you mention can sort of make it work, but from what I've read, it adds latency (as you'de be using two points of connection) so it probably could lead to a not great experience, other experiences are that it can connect, plus there's still other issues such as buttons like the triggers not responding; or directions getting stuck but that's just what I take from looking around briefly.

Personally I've been using a Wii Classic Controller Pro for emulation, using rechargeable batteries and I've always been very happy it. I might use the GC controller for a slow paced game, if I wanted to not waste batteries, but really, with just the WCCP I get by nicely. I always find amusing how light the thing is but how solid it feels.

Besides, it will also work for Wii software and GC (through Nintendont).

A Pro one is recommended over the original Classic Controller, mostly because the triggers are more comfortable for games that don't use analog triggers (and honestly, only GC games and very, very few Wii ones would use those). Also, while not important for emulation of older systems, but the analog sticks of the original model are pretty close, and if you were to play something that used both sticks, they could bump into each other.

I have no idea if an xbox controller could be compatible, or maybe there's other controllers that might work well out there, though. Maybe someone else chimes in with more info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto