Gateway vs Sky3DS vs OSKA (for a N3DS owner)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MaximusVX, Mar 16, 2015.

1. MaximusVX
    OP

MaximusVX Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    I'm getting enough money to purchase a flashcart very soon, so since that's happening, now I'm really confused as to what product I should get.

My N3DS is on 9.5.0-22 (It came on 9.0.0 but I wanted to get some games from the eShop :wacko:)

The Sky3DS seems to NEVER have any compatibility issues with any firmware on O3DS or N3DS, but the Gateway seems to have a ton of features compared to the Sky3DS: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Flashcart_Comparison

OSKA afaik seems to be a completely new CFW that you don't have to get a flashcart to install, and I'd hate to buy one of the two products mentioned above and then have OSKA do everything they can, just $80 cheaper.

Any advice?

NEW QUESTION: You can load Gateway mode on Sky3DS?? Does anyone do that and are there any downfalls towards doing that VS just having a Gateway? I feel like this would be the best option instead of countless pressing of the blue button to get to a certain game.

2. omegart

omegart GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    on 9.5 you can only use sky3ds. Gw and oska support up to 9.2

Margen67 likes this.
  3. MaximusVX
    OP

MaximusVX Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    Gateway just released a new update that allows users to use it on 9.5 N3DS, but you need Legend of Zelda OoT. I'm assuming that "soon", it'll just support the N3DS and not need OoT, because that's a damn expensive game.

EDIT: Ah, I see it supports N3DS, but just for 9.2. Damn. Guess Sky3DS is my only option.

4. rehan100

rehan100 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2015

Last edited by rehan100, Aug 25, 2016
    Margen67 likes this.
  5. Stremon

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    no. still up to 9.2 only even with Oot

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Here's the truth (and you're not alone):

You should have waited to update firmware. Right now you can use the Sky3DS to install the Gateway. 9.0 would have let you use the Gateway's Tools form the Ultra Pack WITHOUT the Gateway carts to backup your sysNAND and rip your ROMs provided you din't update beyond that point.

Otherwise, you're going to need a Zelda-OOT game which is going for roughly the same price as a Sky3DS right now. And that only works if you had 9.2 (again).

Best advice is to get a Sky3DS and kiss Gateway goodbye... Or see if you or your friends happen to have a 3DS on 9.2 or lower. Then you can use theirs with the tools, but the N3DSXL and the old 3DSXL are currently locked out of using Gateway or Ninjahax per 9.5. Which means no ROM dumping or Firmware backup. Only the Sky3DS...

I feel your pain. Same firmware as you.

The good news is you can still inject pokemon from PKHeX using the browser exploit. The moment you go 9.5.0-33U, game over man... :cry:

C'est la vie...

Margen67 likes this.
  7. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    IIRC, pokemon injecting is only on old 3DS's/2ds since the new 3DS uses SKATER instead of SPIDER. So only Sky3DS

8. Leslie White

Leslie White GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2015
    France
    Paris

You can still "inject" Pokémons with the New3DS ... with the Gateway. Edit your save file with PkHex, save it into your microSD card and inject the save with savedatafiler on emunand

Online, Margen67 and omegart like this.
  9. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Save injection was really only intended for the majority of folks who didn't own a Gateway and most likely had a post 9.3 fw 3DS anyway. If you have a exploitable sysnand version, there is much better ways of editing your save. ;)

ravihpa and Margen67 like this.
  10. narutonic

narutonic GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2015
    France
    What about Oska ? Any great news ?

Margen67 likes this.
  11. MaximusVX
    OP

MaximusVX Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    It seems the remaining question is just OSKA or Sky3DS?

12. Kylecito

Kylecito eats warnings for breakfast

May 6, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    one of those doesnt exist yet, whats your point?

13. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

omfg.....

Margen67 likes this.
  14. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    sky or return ur new3ds for a 9.2

Zidapi likes this.
  15. Miles54321

Miles54321 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2010
    Gateway Headquarters with SonyUSA
    Yeah, best thing to do is to never update the consoles,

90% of updates Nintendo put out are just trying to find out what exploits people are using that make their console better and stop them ¬_¬

Like the 3ds isnt even region free Nintendo, but whatever Nintendo can waste their time trying to stop people making their console better :D

Margen67 likes this.
  16. MaximusVX
    OP

MaximusVX Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    United States

What do you mean what's my point, did you not even read the initial post? I asked would it be better to wait for OSKA or just get a Sky3DS now, since everyone has high hopes for OSKA. If you want to find out the point of something, you should probably read the thread first.

We've already moved on from that subject, you should probably find a better post to troll.

17. pdensco
    This message by pdensco has been removed from public view by Vulpes Abnocto, Mar 16, 2015, Reason: double post.
    Mar 16, 2015
  18. pdensco

pdensco Banned

Banned
    Nov 9, 2014
    Pakistan
    GATEWAY ENDS HERE BCZ sKy 3DS is taking his place and in my opnion sky 3ds is best one yet

sky 3ds is best one yet

19. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    Looks like I'm not that informed, but what's OSKA?

20. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Ouch. So MaximusVX is SOL.

Welp, so am I.

Back to having fun with Sky3DS... Oh, and don't but anything biger than a 32GB SD card for the Sky3DS. Only allowed to put 31 games on it even though they advertise "unlimited". ::Pout::

21. MaximusVX
    OP

MaximusVX Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-open-source-kernel-access-on-3ds.383534/page-2#post-5387760

Shit, well, at least I have a 32GB lying around here, I was piling up my 64GB one with games for the past week lol...

It's still unlimited though regardless right? No after 100 games you have to buy another one BS? and, can I just throw the roms on there and that's it? I'd really hate to have a 32GB SD card formatted in a way exclusively for Sky3DS.

Lycanroc likes this.