Hacking Gateway vs Sky3DS vs OSKA (for a N3DS owner)

MaximusVX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting enough money to purchase a flashcart very soon, so since that's happening, now I'm really confused as to what product I should get.

My N3DS is on 9.5.0-22 (It came on 9.0.0 but I wanted to get some games from the eShop :wacko:)

The Sky3DS seems to NEVER have any compatibility issues with any firmware on O3DS or N3DS, but the Gateway seems to have a ton of features compared to the Sky3DS: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Flashcart_Comparison

OSKA afaik seems to be a completely new CFW that you don't have to get a flashcart to install, and I'd hate to buy one of the two products mentioned above and then have OSKA do everything they can, just $80 cheaper.

Any advice?

NEW QUESTION: You can load Gateway mode on Sky3DS?? Does anyone do that and are there any downfalls towards doing that VS just having a Gateway? I feel like this would be the best option instead of countless pressing of the blue button to get to a certain game.

MaximusVX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on 9.5 you can only use sky3ds. Gw and oska support up to 9.2

Gateway just released a new update that allows users to use it on 9.5 N3DS, but you need Legend of Zelda OoT. I'm assuming that "soon", it'll just support the N3DS and not need OoT, because that's a damn expensive game.

EDIT: Ah, I see it supports N3DS, but just for 9.2. Damn. Guess Sky3DS is my only option.

Stremon

Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Gateway just released a new update that allows users to use it on 9.5 N3DS, but you need Legend of Zelda OoT. I'm assuming that "soon", it'll just support the N3DS and not need OoT, because that's a damn expensive game.
no. still up to 9.2 only even with Oot

Reactions: Margen67

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the truth (and you're not alone):

You should have waited to update firmware. Right now you can use the Sky3DS to install the Gateway. 9.0 would have let you use the Gateway's Tools form the Ultra Pack WITHOUT the Gateway carts to backup your sysNAND and rip your ROMs provided you din't update beyond that point.

Otherwise, you're going to need a Zelda-OOT game which is going for roughly the same price as a Sky3DS right now. And that only works if you had 9.2 (again).

Best advice is to get a Sky3DS and kiss Gateway goodbye... Or see if you or your friends happen to have a 3DS on 9.2 or lower. Then you can use theirs with the tools, but the N3DSXL and the old 3DSXL are currently locked out of using Gateway or Ninjahax per 9.5. Which means no ROM dumping or Firmware backup. Only the Sky3DS...

I feel your pain. Same firmware as you.

The good news is you can still inject pokemon from PKHeX using the browser exploit. The moment you go 9.5.0-33U, game over man... :cry:

C'est la vie...

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the truth (and you're not alone):

You should have waited to update firmware. Right now you can use the Sky3DS to install the Gateway. 9.0 would have let you use the Gateway's Tools form the Ultra Pack WITHOUT the Gateway carts to backup your sysNAND and rip your ROMs provided you din't update beyond that point.

Otherwise, you're going to need a Zelda-OOT game which is going for roughly the same price as a Sky3DS right now. And that only works if you had 9.2 (again).

Best advice is to get a Sky3DS and kiss Gateway goodbye... Or see if you or your friends happen to have a 3DS on 9.2 or lower. Then you can use theirs with the tools, but the N3DSXL and the old 3DSXL are currently locked out of using Gateway or Ninjahax per 9.5. Which means no ROM dumping or Firmware backup. Only the Sky3DS...

I feel your pain. Same firmware as you.

The good news is you can still inject pokemon from PKHeX using the browser exploit. The moment you go 9.5.0-33U, game over man... :cry:

C'est la vie...

IIRC, pokemon injecting is only on old 3DS's/2ds since the new 3DS uses SKATER instead of SPIDER. So only Sky3DS

Leslie White

Trophies
XP
Country
France
IIRC, pokemon injecting is only on old 3DS's/2ds since the new 3DS uses SKATER instead of SPIDER. So only Sky3DS

You can still "inject" Pokémons with the New3DS ... with the Gateway. Edit your save file with PkHex, save it into your microSD card and inject the save with savedatafiler on emunand

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EDIT: Ah, I see it supports N3DS, but just for 9.2. Damn. Guess Sky3DS is my only option.

omfg.....

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Yeah, best thing to do is to never update the consoles,

90% of updates Nintendo put out are just trying to find out what exploits people are using that make their console better and stop them ¬_¬

Like the 3ds isnt even region free Nintendo, but whatever Nintendo can waste their time trying to stop people making their console better :D

MaximusVX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one of those doesnt exist yet, whats your point?

What do you mean what's my point, did you not even read the initial post? I asked would it be better to wait for OSKA or just get a Sky3DS now, since everyone has high hopes for OSKA. If you want to find out the point of something, you should probably read the thread first.

omfg.....

We've already moved on from that subject, you should probably find a better post to troll.

pdensco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
GATEWAY ENDS HERE BCZ sKy 3DS is taking his place and in my opnion sky 3ds is best one yet

sky 3ds is best one yet

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ouch. So MaximusVX is SOL.

Welp, so am I.

Back to having fun with Sky3DS... Oh, and don't but anything biger than a 32GB SD card for the Sky3DS. Only allowed to put 31 games on it even though they advertise "unlimited". ::Pout::

MaximusVX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I'm not that informed, but what's OSKA?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-open-source-kernel-access-on-3ds.383534/page-2#post-5387760

Ouch. So MaximusVX is SOL.

Welp, so am I.

Back to having fun with Sky3DS... Oh, and don't but anything biger than a 32GB SD card for the Sky3DS. Only allowed to put 31 games on it even though they advertise "unlimited". ::Pout::

Shit, well, at least I have a 32GB lying around here, I was piling up my 64GB one with games for the past week lol...

It's still unlimited though regardless right? No after 100 games you have to buy another one BS? and, can I just throw the roms on there and that's it? I'd really hate to have a 32GB SD card formatted in a way exclusively for Sky3DS.

Reactions: Lycan911

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night