Hacking GATEWAY ULTRA 3.0.4 PUBLIC BETA

ucta

custom title=0
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
As im new to 3ds. i guess i have plenty games to cover while waiting for a emunand update from GW ;P

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8 months. The 7.0.0 update that enabled the new encryption was released in december 2013, Gateway's update to fix it (2.3) was released in august 2014.

From what I was told though, GW did fix the issue before a game even required that FW. Is that true? Do games really take that long to come with the latest FW?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I was told though, GW did fix the issue before a game even required that FW. Is that true? Do games really take that long to come with the latest FW?
You've been told incorrectly. At the time Gateway fixed it, there were several games (and a bunch of eShop apps) that used the encryption, the most notable one being Tomodachi Life. Also, it's not about coming with the latest FW, it actually needs to be built with the latest SDK, which takes even longer. It DOES take a really long time for games to come with the latest update though.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm disappointed that nintendo couldn't have done something smarter so gw could be blocked forever :/
Well, that would be hard, as gw has kernel access and can theoretically patch anything ;)

But i am more surprised they didn't block sky3ds. Or they just dont care or they dont know how

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
A little noobish question (please forgive me): I have gateway 3.0.1 installed, how do I update to 3.0.4? simply replace the launcher.dat? or do I need to reinstall after replacing?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A little noobish question (please forgive me): I have gateway 3.0.1 installed, how do I update to 3.0.4? simply replace the launcher.dat? or do I need to reinstall after replacing?
yeah, updating the gateway version is just replacing the launcher.dat.

Reactions: Varia

storm75x

Remember that thing I don't remember? Yeah, that!
Trophies
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲͡ ̲__
Website
www.fort42.com
XP
Country
Dont even bother to reply, just report ;)
Dont even bother to report, just ignore ;)

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken... emu 9.5 and above won't allow GW to play roms right (due to the new key).
Will I still be able to do system update THEN format the emunand?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Regionthree can get around cart updates, so no matter what Majora's Mask comes with on the cart, you can get around it on 9.2 with regionthree.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming if...
Majora's Mask comes with 9.5 requirement :rofl2:

Nintendo could always make a game require a future firmware (but it built using an older SDK) that is not out when the cart is released then require an online update to said firmware as long as it is out by the time the game comes out.
they could also release "reviewer" copies that do not require 9.5 so places like IGN that review game could do so.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendo could always make a game require a future firmware (but it built using an older SDK) that is not out when the cart is released then require an online update to said firmware as long as it is out by the time the game comes out.
they could also release "reviewer" copies that do not require 9.5 so places like IGN that review game could do so.
No they can't, as that would require you to have an internet connection in order to play the game you bought (to install the mandatory update). People would lose their shit if that happened. Not to mention if it's built with an older SDK, it can just be spoofed. You'd only be inconveniencing legit users, which is the worst kind of drm. And if something happened with 9.5 (a critical bug found during testing or whatever) and they were unable to release it in time, no one would be able to play the game. It's a bad idea all around.

StarPlatinum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No they can't, as that would require you to have an internet connection in order to play the game you bought (to install the mandatory update).

Exactly. Never happened before and will not happen in the future as they would need to advertise the required connection on every game box, big letters.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
At least this means they are planning on releasing N3DS support without dealing with the new emunand so N3DS owners can at least play games on the damn thing. Imagine if they decided to hold off N3DS support until they figured out 9.5 emunand.

Hopefully they can wrap up N3DS support and then move onto 9.5 emunand.

Well, it doesn't mean you won't have emunand anyway, just that you'll be "stuck" at the same version than your sysnand, so 9.0 or 9.2.

If .cia files are the same for both systems and works for both, people can just get .cia updates ripped from the old 3DS and install them on the New3DS.

storm75x : Majora's cart was already produced before the 9.5 actually existed, even 9.4/9.3 so it would be rather weird to see it with 9.5 firmware on it, even N3DS have a low probability to get 9.5 as a base firmware (worst that could happen would be 9.4).

ucta : Not even sure of that. Remember when people thought Pokemon OR/AS would have 9.x on it? Finally, it have 7.x even being released after Smash Bros which have 8.1 xD

ucta

custom title=0
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Guys need help from you ;( I never had a 3ds, so should i keep my preordered n3ds and prey for properly working GW on it. Or just buy an old 3ds or xl with fw less than 9.2 and dont give a shet ?( Decisions decisions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...