Hacking Gateway support for Firmware 9.0 – 9.2 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only shitter is will Nintendo patch it before the EU release and US release for the new 3DS
Not something I'm too worried about.
  1. The devices are factory made in advance, odds are that they're already in production - even if Nintendo would patch and block Gateway, you'd just have to update to 9.x through a game.
  2. There's a significant chance that several firmware versions may pass untill they fix it to begin with, especially with Gateway holding off on their release for now.
    Nintendo will need time to figure out what it is they're using and then block it - so unless they happen upon it by chance (or if its the same as what SKY uses) they're also in the clear.
Either way, there's a distinct window of opportunity still.
Know what? :huh:
If SSSpwn/SKY get blocked at v9.3 or v10 and Gateway still functions then we "know" its not the same exploit they use.

D

Deleted-355425

Know what? :huh:

Your theory is good, however there is a flaw in it. How do we update the card without a kernel exploit?? Theres the difference between Sky3DS and GW, one emulates a retail game on a Hardware level and the other one at a software (kernel) level.

If it has anything to do with the same exploit entry point same goes for sky3ds.

Edit: got ninja'd from above

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Both seem to run games pretty much the same way, only Gateway has full control over the kernel, patching whatever is necessary for mounting and running the games. Also the red cartridge is controlled by the patched kernel via the rom selection menu.
Sky3DS has nothing but the ability to mount games and has a hardware switch for selecting the rom.

I agree, but how does GW get updated lets say on the N3DS without a kernel exploit? Get what I saying...

If it has anything to do with the same exploit entry point same goes for sky3ds.

Edit: got ninja'd from above

Got it!

jumpo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know if the Australian new 3ds definitely comes on 9.whatever? I've got one for christmas and don't know whether I have to open it to update before then incase it turns out it is on 8 or something and nintendo has put out a new update..

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know if the Australian new 3ds definitely comes on 9.whatever? I've got one for christmas and don't know whether I have to open it to update before then incase it turns out it is on 8 or something and nintendo has put out a new update..

Naw, It's 8.x. I'm in the au mulling this over too, wait or go 4.5...

DoctorZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Like others have said, it's likely not going to be an issue since you can always update via a retail game once one comes out that has the 9.2 FW on it. If you plan on keeping it and using it no reason not to just update it to 9.2.

jumpo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Ah thanks, guess I'll have to sneak update it then. I didn't realize 4.5 consoles were the same price as normal store consoles, would have got one a while ago if I had known. That white n3ds though ;)

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country

If I wait it out till gateway give out some real info, am I gonna miss the boat somehow, seeing as the 9.x firmware they're talking about is only available ota? I'd love a N3ds
Don't know...
I sent an email a couple of days ago and got a 'non canned' reply, they said 4.5 is better because it's more 'complete'

I'd like to think that means they're working hard on a parity of functionality between 4.5 and 9.x but it'll take a while.
ahhhhh, off to source a 4.5 tomorrow hopefully, if I fail then I get an N3ds and a sky3ds to tide me over...

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Like others have said, it's likely not going to be an issue since you can always update via a retail game once one comes out that has the 9.2 FW on it. If you plan on keeping it and using it no reason not to just update it to 9.2.

It's a pretty small margin for it to be shipped on a cart though isn't it?
I mean, what's even coming out or in fabrication right right now on this firmware revision?

DoctorZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maybe. I asked this on another forum and someone mentioned that most of the major updates are available via a retail game. I don't know if that is correct or not, but I've seen it posted a lot that even if Nintendo pushes 10.0, 9.2 should exist on a retail cart at some point. Of course if a game did come out it would put people's minds to rest that they could always update to 9.2 from a lower FW.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I mean, what's even coming out or in fabrication right right now on this firmware revision?
not really....i think every FW revision has been on carts, so i doubt they would skip 2/3 revisions....especially a major revision like 9.0, its usually a few weeks- a month or so before a game comes out with the current latest version onboard,

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
not really....i think every FW revision has been on carts, so i doubt they would skip 2/3 revisions

I guess, if they block any current slashcart on the next update there's no way they'll miss the chance to stick that on a cart.
BTW thanks for stopping me from running the diag back on the 2.0 beta gamesquest1. My soldering iron was busted and a reflash would've cost me for a new one :P Good job. :)

Reactions: gamesquest1

IvanMXDF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

smealum also, anyone know what firmware verison the AUS n3ds ships with ?

chr0m Mine was 9.0.0-20

@Wormetti aus n3ds ships with 9.0.0-20E

‏@MR_SP23 mine came with 9.0 as well

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I hope it's a kernel exploit...
Tgt1oW2.jpg
[\SPOILER]

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Fuck yeah, Someone said they shipped with 8.x, maybe they got a jp model??

Awesome, I'll pick one up in the future if this gateway update's any good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto