Hacking Gateway support for Firmware 9.0 – 9.2 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
And who told you that? It works just fine on old firmware.

Does it? Someone in here got a Sky3DS, and it didn't work for them on 4.x. Also, Gateway urged everyone on 5.x and above to update to 9.x, but if Sky3DS works on all firmwares, this could be just for game compatibility's sake.

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Stupid question : is it possible an exploit exists only in 9.X ? That means Ninty made a regression somewhere ? Or maybe a theme exploit ?

To get homewbrew (kernel mode, like rom loading) you need 2 exploits.
1 user-mode, 1 kernel-mode, finding a user-mode exploit is easy, finding a kernel-mode is difficult.

The user-mode exploit is the entry-point for executing the kernel-mode exploit, you need some way to execute code or nothing will happen.

Currently the only known user-mode exploits are retail-game exploits, like modified save games or for example qr-codes.

The reason why gateway says that people should stay on 4.5 is most likely because they don't have a "free" user-mode exploit and on 5.X - 9.X you need to buy a retail exploitable game (or eshop...) to activate the kernel-mode exploit, just like ssspwn (of course if you stay on 4.5 you don't need the retail game, just a NDS flashcard).

And the reason why they announced it now is likely because ssspwn should be released next week and it is a free user-mode exploit for them as entry point, so why not make a pirate solution from ssspwn, all what they need is a kernel mode exploit (they should have found one now...) and ssspwn.

The fw 9.X has nothing to do with this exploit, it just makes sure that you are on the latest fw to go to the eshop and buy the exploit game as fast as possible before it's removed and to make sure that their fw patcher works.

TheZoroark007

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To get homewbrew (kernel mode, like rom loading) you need 2 exploits.
1 user-mode, 1 kernel-mode, finding a user-mode exploit is easy, finding a kernel-mode is difficult.

The user-mode exploit is the entry-point for executing the kernel-mode exploit, you need some way to execute code or nothing will happen.

Currently the only known user-mode exploits are retail-game exploits, like modified save games or for example qr-codes.

The reason why gateway says that people should stay on 4.5 is most likely because they don't have a "free" user-mode exploit and on 5.X - 9.X you need to buy a retail exploitable game (or eshop...) to activate the kernel-mode exploit, just like ssspwn (of course if you stay on 4.5 you don't need the retail game, just a NDS flashcard).

And the reason why they announced it now is likely because ssspwn should be released next week and it is a free user-mode exploit for them as entry point, so why not make a pirate solution from ssspwn, all what they need is a kernel mode exploit (they should have found one now...) and ssspwn.

The fw 9.X has nothing to do with this exploit, it just makes sure that you are on the latest fw to go to the eshop and buy the exploit game as fast as possible before it's removed and to make sure that their fw patcher works.

But its not from 5.0-9.2 its just the 9.0.0-9.2.0 Firmware...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Nobody really knows if it's only 9.x, it's implied, but they didn't say it won't work on 5.x+, I'm actually fairly sure it's going to be a userland exploit like ssspwn and smealum said he had to port the exploit to each fw individually I'm guessing maybe GW just though nah we will just do 9.x why bother with all the rest

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Ok, thanks for explanations !

So they might have a (sure) 9.x that might work below.
It will be like for the PSVita : rush to buy the game on PSN store :)

Luckily, if the usermode exploit is available in a cartridge game, that's cool. Except for the price which is going to level up lol.

Or they might "steal" ssspwn to make it available through a new "blue" linker...

In any case : GW is saying to Nintendo "All your firmwares are belong to us" :D

Reactions: Margen67

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Brickway intentionally destroyed many customers 3DS and refused to take responsibility. Later they Came with a silly "Proof" Method and forced users to pay 100 bucks in order to get their device examined (=not necessarily fixed). They now clearly adapted and maybe modified someone elses work because they were too stupid to find a solution the last 2 years and all of a sudden everyone praises them?! Crazy World!

Brick me once, shame on you. But brick me twice...

That's why i always wait for generous beta testers like you before i do anything that has a potential to brick my hw, thank you very much, your hard work is appreciated :)

Reactions: OuahOuah

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why i always wait for generous beta testers like you before i do anything that has a potential to brick my hw, thank you very much, your hard work is appreciated :)
I Never tested Anything. All Games I own are Originals! Learn to read!

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Does it? Someone in here got a Sky3DS, and it didn't work for them on 4.x. Also, Gateway urged everyone on 5.x and above to update to 9.x, but if Sky3DS works on all firmwares, this could be just for game compatibility's sake.

In the end it worked for him.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is the screenshot email from the sky3ds official!
image.php
Must be 100% true then, I started to believe them right after I read the "We will find a solution for the 10 games limit sooner or later." part.
Jesus fucking Christ, imagine how much envy and sweat flows currently at the Sky3ds HQ right now...
The second Ive read that they said they will "find" a way to remove the 10 game limit is the second they pretty much confirmed that they intentionally implemented the 10 game limit.
Also, I posted a mail screenshot a couple of pages back which clearly states that no new hardware is introduced - just an update!
Even if any word from their mouth turns out to be true I would still buy a Gateway card because Sky3ds is shady as F!

Zeal

Trophies
XP
Country
I feel kind of sorry for the sky3ds team. You can tell that while they are really smart to manage to bypass latest firmware's security, they are terrible businessmen.

Can you imagine the sales of their flashcard if it was priced around $30-50 and didn't have the stupid 10 games limit? But of course they had to take the greed route. Now the gateway team will get all the credit for removing the stupid 10 games DRM and appear like the knights in white armor while all they did is steal sky3ds' code/method.

People are already forgetting the fact that the gateway team said they had no plans to support >4.5 and how "chinese mafia" was after them trying to copy their card. Yet now they go and do the same thing just a few days after a competitor emerged who finally offers higher firmware support.

Oh well, luckily for them (and us) sky3ds team was dumb as dirt putting a $120 price placeholder and the stupidest DRM possible. Way to shoo everyone off your product, kudos sky3ds!

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS vs. Brickway = Win Win for the customers! Unförmigster the upcoming 9.x supporting card is at least 4 years too late. I already own all the games I want and for the next 5 Blockbuster must have- games (till the EOL of the 3DS) I do not buy a flash card now!

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't feel particularly sorry for Sky3DS because they were taking everybody for chumps. They should have assumed that others will clone their work and made the best card possible instead of implementing arbitrary limits.

It's easy to criticise Gateway for 'copying' their work, but that's how the flashcard scene progresses - if other cards could not build on the progress of other cards, then everything would stagnate. Gateway's own card was of course cloned, so they responded by improving the feature set of their card to make it better than the competition. Sky3DS will have to respond similarly.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I feel kind of sorry for the sky3ds team. You can tell that while they are really smart to manage to bypass latest firmware's security, they are terrible businessmen.

Can you imagine the sales of their flashcard if it was priced around $30-50 and didn't have the stupid 10 games limit? But of course they had to take the greed route. Now the gateway team will get all the credit for removing the stupid 10 games DRM and appear like the knights in white armor while all they did is steal sky3ds' code/method.

People are already forgetting the fact that the gateway team said they had no plans to support >4.5 and how "chinese mafia" was after them trying to copy their card. Yet now they go and do the same thing just a few days after a competitor emerged who finally offers higher firmware support.

Oh well, luckily for them (and us) sky3ds team was dumb as dirt putting a $120 price placeholder and the stupidest DRM possible. Way to shoo everyone off your product, kudos sky3ds!

Proof?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Am I wrong for being disappointed?

I kind of wanted a homebrew scene that wasn't dependant on ONE SPECIFIC card from a company that thinks it's OK to brick people.

Yeah well, I kind of wanted a homebrew scene that wasn't dependant on the theft of other peoples hard work.
But then greedy companies started cloning Gateway's work. Sure it sucks that the users were punished, but it only took a couple of bricking to ruin MTCards reputation, then along came the new encryption and they were put out of the game permanently.
Oh, and then along came GovanifY who hacked, stole and leaked other peoples hard work.
This isn't the scene that many of us wanted. But it's the one we've got, and there's no denying that the 3DS scene has exploded over the past two weeks due to these thefts.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
If GW had copied of the "Sky3DS exploit", it would no require 9.x for >4.5 users. It would work on 5/6/7/8 firmware.

Someone in past messages told me Sky3DS made an emulation of a retail cartridge... and we know a GW can't make the same thing so...
Sky3DS might be credited for the emulation work, but nothing more. Maybe they uses something special to "fake sig" like real cartridge (don't know which protection is here to prevent a cartridge emulation).
But they surely not use a firmware kernel exploit...

Or maybe I'm wrong :P

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would like homebrew scene that actually offers homebrew ;) aside from few exception there's pretty much none homebrew.

I mean seriously, 3d screen, touch screen with a stylus, how the fuck can so much potential be wasted, the fact i can't watch 3d pr0n streamed by dlna is already pain enough but even yt is in 2d, not to mention all the cool stuff you could do with stylus, could be used with educational apps.

Reactions: weatMod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @K3Nv2