Hacking Gateway 3DS Team Response to Clones and 2.0 update

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That probably will never happen just like the ps3 cfw has to be on 3.55 for 3ds 4.5

You might want to read their new FAQ again. Just a word to the wise.

Maybe that surprise is higher firmware support, that'd be great for them to sell some more GW3DS and show how those clones sucks..

I think we have enough evidence to show that the clones suck already :P

So here's the thing. Clones are known to be inferior products with little to no support. An update could get released, that will eventually leave these carts in the dust. In this case, the clones are rehashing Gateway 3DS down to the 1.0 firmware, which includes all of the limitations of said firmware. Clones are built with the cheapest manufacturing materials on hand to reduce cost and maximize profits.

The Gateway 3DS was built with a high quality plastic that can similarly mimic a Nintendo 3DS retail cartridge. Clones will most likely use an inferior version of this plastic, and if you've been to the website of these clones, you'd quickly notice that some of the material on these sites has been directly copied off of the Gateway team. This shows zero originality.

All in all, clones will always exist. It was just a matter of time. However, if you order a clone, don't come to us bitching "X" weeks later that your item is broken. The ends are going to justify the means here, but the higher grade product will be the one that survives. If you want to go buy a clone, that's fine, it's your money, we're not going to stop you. It's just that given the R4 line of carts is a perfect reason why you shouldn't even be supporting these carts in the first place. ;)

This. If people buy clones, get scammed or get a product that fails after a month of use and/or never gets updated, it's their own damn fault for supporting a crappy product.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Let's not forget that the R4i Gold team have always supported their products

Yellow Wood Goblin supports their products. Lets not forget that. Where would they be without the Wood kernel? Sure they release 3DS bootloader updates rather quickly, but that isn't the most magnificent accomplishment.

but it's still hard for me to understand why do some people on GBATemp don't want any clones?

when clones flood the market only problems exist. poor support. inferior hardware. confused consumers. etc. an entire lot of acekard/dstt/r4/whatever clones do nothing but dupe consumers into spending their money on junk. if it wasn't for retrogamefan, they would have been useless junk. you asked for a clone of the ds2? would you not want a team to step up and design a new flash kit with new features? why would you desire a copy of an existing cart that could possibly be manufactured with inferior parts? why would you ever want a "clone"?

-another world

Reactions: Vengenceonu

razielleonhart

RazzyDee
Trophies
XP
Country
well i just ordered my Gateway the other day and hours later the clones start popping up like 10 bucks is really going to break the bank for the real one. i am just happy for any kind of news for the gateway at this point.

luigi90210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but gateway probably has DRM on their FW updates ,IF they do then you will have to wait a long time if they ever even become availale for the clone, just like ps3 TB dongle and its clones

oh i would not expect gateway's firmware to work on a clone, im just saying gateway is stupidly overpriced for what it is and it probably only cost them $10-20 in total to make everything(including hardware since their cards are also made in china, using chinese components) and they are selling it out for $80

in the end im really just waiting for CFW since that will be free technically speaking

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh i would not expect gateway's firmware to work on a clone, im just saying gateway is stupidly overpriced for what it is and it probably only cost them $10-20 in total to make everything(including hardware since their cards are also made in china, using chinese components) and they are selling it out for $80

in the end im really just waiting for CFW since that will be free technically speaking

Psst, double posting is frowned upon here. ;) Multi-quote!

Reactions: luigi90210

luigi90210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yellow Wood Goblin supports their products. Lets not forget that. Where would they be without the Wood kernel? Sure they release 3DS bootloader updates rather quickly, but that isn't the most magnificent accomplishment.

when clones flood the market only problems exist. poor support. inferior hardware. confused consumers. etc. an entire lot of acekard/dstt/r4/whatever clones do nothing but dupe consumers into spending their money on junk. if it wasn't for retrogamefan, they would have been useless junk. you asked for a clone of the ds2? would you not want a team to step up and design a new flash kit with new features? why would you desire a copy of an existing cart that could possibly be manufactured with inferior parts? why would you ever want a "clone"?

-another world

how is it inferior hardware if they are using the same chinese hardware?

im not gonna go on about support because some companies just want to make a quick buck but lets stick to the hardware side of things

how is a clone any different than the original if they are using the same hardware? name? price?this is the kind of mentality that needs to die, its one that plagues the car community very much so, how is a replica exhaust any different than the name brand $2000 exhaust if its the same design and the same materials with the same kind of welds?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

im not gonna go on about support because some companies just want to make a quick buck but lets stick to the hardware side of things

how is a clone any different than the original if they are using the same hardware? name? price?this is the kind of mentality that needs to die, its one that plagues the car community very much so, how is a replica exhaust any different than the name brand $2000 exhaust if its the same design and the same materials with the same kind of welds?

Because these clones are stuck on version 1.0 and are not likely to be supported or updated. They use cheaper plastic, cheap PCBs, etc. The GW is priced that way it is due to a monopoly.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lower quality plastics, circuitry, etc. Their functionality can be very different and the hardware often changes. Like, to update one R4 brand you need to physically cut a wire in order for it to function, something your average joe wouldn't want to do. And the $2000 exhaust will most likely last longer and be better. Ever use afterbrand electronics? They're shoddy as FUCK for a reason. They often don't fit well, the plastic breaks easily, etc.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First i want to see some legitimate reviews of those clones by a trusted GBATEMP member who already owns a Gateway.
We don't know how the clones are going to get supported by their own teams. If the clones are exactly the same as the gateway and they are cheaper i'll probably get my hands on a clone. Of course Team Gateway put a lot of effort into their card but nintendo did the same to their games..
Team gateway knew that flashcards are a real tricky business just by the normal ds flashcard clones..

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First i want to see some legitimate reviews of those clones by a trusted GBATEMP member who already owns a Gateway.
We don't know how the clones are going to get supported by their own teams. If the clones are exactly the same as the gateway and they are cheaper i'll probably get my hands on a clone. Of course Team Gateway put a lot of effort into their card but nintendo did the same to their games..
Team gateway knew that flashcards are a real tricky business just by the normal ds flashcard clones..

I'll try to grab a clone or two when I get the chance. Just to prove to you guys that these things are gonna blow chunks.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
not all clones are 1:1 run off the same designs. most include different chips not designed for the software. some have included inferior plastic shells that cause contact issues. we have seen some that had bad msd slots that caused serious ds issues. we can't speculate on what the gateway clone will be made out of, the team officially saying the card will brick eventually due to hardware differences is just slander at this point. but if it isn't a 1:1 clone then you never know what problems it could cause or develop over time.

-another world

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to also note that someone attempted to run the firmware they have for download using a GW3DS. Which failed to launched. I'm guessing that the GW3DS team changed something in the code post 1.0 when the launcher.dat file was decrypted but I also see the 3DSLink doesn't boast about being region free. Which is a major feature that they'd be promoting if they had it. Also on a side note they updated their website saying that firmware 2.0 is going to be out in about a week.

luigi90210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lower quality plastics, circuitry, etc. Their functionality can be very different and the hardware often changes. Like, to update one R4 brand you need to physically cut a wire in order for it to function, something your average joe wouldn't want to do. And the $2000 exhaust will most likely last longer and be better. Ever use afterbrand electronics? They're shoddy as FUCK for a reason. They often don't fit well, the plastic breaks easily, etc.

well speaking on the exhaust thing, T304 SS pipes are T304 SS pipes, funny thing is, the knock off exhausts out perform the $2000 exhaust(look up HKS Hi Power for the 350z vs knock off) and it lasts just as long

you have to read through the BS though since there are a lot of people who just knock the replica exhausts for being replicas without them even owning it before

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the clones are rehashing Gateway 3DS down to the 1.0 firmware, which includes all of the limitations of said firmware.

I don't think the Gateway team is really accurate here. I'm assuming that because of that statement 1.0 was the only launcher.dat that was decrypted. So they're just assuming they didn't add any features, etc. The first version is the most important because what they added later doesn't seem too complicated for the clone teams to incorporate themselves (obviously GW 2.0 is a completely different story.)

From 3ds-flashcard.com they claim it supports Pokemon X/Y, which means they'd have to add some features. I have no idea if this is actually true or them just trying to make a quick sale, but we'll see when someone decides to risk it and purchase it.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well speaking on the exhaust thing, T304 SS pipes are T304 SS pipes, funny thing is, the knock off exhausts out perform the $2000 exhaust(look up HKS Hi Power for the 350z vs knock off) and it lasts just as long

Eh, I'm not concerned about the specifics of this particular exhaust, but on a broader scope, inferior and after market products that are not 1:1 clones are bound to have problems.

I don't think the Gateway team is really accurate here. I'm assuming that because of that statement 1.0 was the only launcher.dat that was decrypted. So they're just assuming they didn't add any features, etc. The first version is the most important because what they added later doesn't seem too complicated for the clone teams to incorporate themselves (obviously GW 2.0 is a completely different story.)

From 3ds-flashcard.com they claim it supports Pokemon X/Y, which means they'd have to add some features. I have no idea if this is actually true or them just trying to make a quick sale, but we'll see when someone decides to risk it and purchase it.

Even Gateway says they haven't gotten X and Y up to speed yet, so it looks like advertising at this point. :/

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not all clones are 1:1 run off the same designs. most include different chips not designed for the software. some have included inferior plastic shells that cause contact issues. we have seen some that had bad msd slots that caused serious ds issues. we can't speculate on what the gateway clone will be made out of, the team officially saying the card will brick eventually due to hardware differences is just slander at this point. but if it isn't a 1:1 clone then you never know what problems it could cause or develop over time.

-another world

Why are people not realizing this again? If their console bricks they've no right to bitch about it not working. In fact, the forum should opt out to not support people who end up bricking their consoles from shoddy clones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying