Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It baffles me so many people have this opinion. Yes, it can't do homebrew, but is does beat the 3ds's security which could be useful to homebrew researchers if they choose to study the card's tricks.

The homebrew and piracy scenes aren't mutually exclusive -- they can and often do build knowledge off of each other.
But Snailface, pirates are stupid poor dirty people, so that means I need to do as much as I can to distance myself from them. I mean they're the third cousins of people who hack in Pokemon games (which means all of them because blanket statements), and we all know they're LittleHitlers!

D

Deleted User

The Gateway is just a make-your-own-bootleg kit. I'm personally not very interested in it, but I hope something better comes out because of it.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Considering the parallels of the first gba flashcarts and nds flashcarts mirrored here and the noobish entitlement complaints about the capacity per microSDHC. In a few years or maybe less we will likely be seeing microSDXC based flashcarts with loaders and hearing complaints from noobs that their 2TB microSDXC isn't enough and that swapping a the microSDXC is a pain.

It is the same crap complaints then as it is now, just in updated formats and in a different medium.
Hmm, who are you referring to? For me, I prefer having all of my games on a single cart for the convenience and I don't like wearing out my contacts, that's it.

Saionji

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Still way cheaper than buy retail games.
As well EU players now may have the chance to play US/JP dumps in near future.
No more region lock. It's might be really great cause many awesome jRPG's never leaving JP and US.

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
But Snailface, pirates are stupid poor dirty people, so that means I need to do as much as I can to distance myself from them. I mean they're the third cousins of people who hack in Pokemon games (which means all of them because blanket statements), and we all know they're LittleHitlers!

There was a noticeable decline in the quality of the DS library once piracy became easy and widespread because of flashcarts. I'd like the 3DS library to grow a little bit before publishers decide to write off the 3DS entirely once everyone can just download games from the internet for the free the moment they're released.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There was a noticeable decline in the quality of the DS library once piracy became easy and widespread because of flashcarts. I'd like the 3DS library to grow a little bit before publishers decide to write off the 3DS entirely once everyone can just download games from the internet for the free the moment they're released.
The very first dump was Electroplankton, while the last major hit, Pokemon Black2/White2, came out 4-5 years after the original-model R4.

Brown-tinted glasses? :P

OscarRamos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Not really. Tricking a system into thinking a close-copy of a legit cart is a legit cart isn't a "hack". For it to be a hack in my book, there must be some custom code running of some sort. Even just a small modification of existing code would probably qualify.

I guess your right on that point. I guess all we might need now is a hack for the wii u ;)

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The very first dump was Electroplankton, while the last major hit, Pokemon Black2/White2, came out 4-5 years after the original-model R4.

Brown-tinted glasses? :P
This. If Nintendo/Game Freak really gave a shit they wouldn't have continued to release one of their biggest selling franchises on the DS.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
I hope this post does not derail this discussion.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am no longer going to write a review of this card. Your resident reviewer, Devin, will handle the review. I will assist Devin in any way possible. I leave you in his capable hands.

-Another World

Reactions: 431unknown

P-CHYLD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with a lot of you guys, but some of you need to STOP! blaming piracy for lack of sales. The devs need to supply the demand of what people want and not what they think is best for us. All these big companies, tries to dictate what we should do and not do with what we have spent our hard earn money on. If shitendo was smart, they would allow retro gaming. I prefer double dragon, ninja gaiden, tmnt etc.... I would be willing to spend top dollar just to have what I desire. Its not going to happen. If I ever get the time, I will strive for a custom firmware and give you guys freedom. Me and most of my constituents have kids and really good jobs. Lack of time doesn't allow our dedication atm.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Indies are also selling a great deal now. Proving that odd/different/new/conceptual are selling again. I hope the trend sticks and the entire industry shifts. I, for one, am getting really sick of 1st party games and huge franchises.

i have to ask, and perhaps suggest, that if you are so into retro gaming why are you looking towards the 3ds? this is precisely what systems like the dingoo and gcw zero are designed for.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the virtual console is more a collection of nintendo's retro selection. we don't get a choice and its only sometimes the games people want. how do things like excite bike and twin bee make the cut but contra does not? perhaps its a marketing strategy or a hardware/emulation issue, but it makes more sense to me to flood the market with all kinds of retro games and ask next to nothing for them ($1-1.99). i would be more inclined to grab the 100+ games i enjoy all the time on emulation equipped hardware, if only they were available.

-another world

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To bring you upto speed on options for microSD swapping and carrying them, the links are self explanatory:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-first-3ds-flash-card.348671/page-56#post-4662748

wow 7 bucks for that thing, maybe someone could design a new back plate for the 3ds that has a micro sd holder built in, someone could even 3d print a protoype or something

but i can see a better solution presenting itself soon enough after this card is released anyways ,i say in about a month or 2 after this is released

once it gets out in the public you know the other teams like supercard will be reversing it and improving it,
how long after this gets gets released will we see a dual ds /3ds mode card with a ds mode manager for loading multiple games off of 1 card i wonder. as long as nintendo doesnt block ds mode cards and as long as you can fit the 2 in one ,then no reason someone cant build a dual mode card that lets you switch roms on the msd from ds mode instead of a pc , i assume you can just have the ds homebrew manager program that will repartition the msd and move the roms to the correctly sized second partition

also assuming that this is a 1;1 card and there is realy no possibility of homebrew or a manager on this card despite what the team is saying

Reactions: stephysanrio

goldensox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indies are also selling a great deal now. Proving that odd/different/new/conceptual are selling again. I hope the trend sticks and the entire industry shifts. I, for one, am getting really sick of 1st party games and huge franchises.

i have to ask, and perhaps suggest, that if you are so into retro gaming why are you looking towards the 3ds? this is precisely what systems like the dingoo and gcw zero are designed for.

-another world

My biggest hope is that, once the system is completely cracked and the emulators start rolling, they make 3d-enabled emulators. I don't know if it's possible (and neither could anyone at this point) but a way of displaying the parallax layers in 3D projection would turn all 2d games into 3D Classix. Imagine the glory of Super Castlevania IV.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
4GB games MG3, DK3, and RE rev wouldn't fit on a 4GB microSD. You would need a minimum 8GB card to fit all current games.

micro SD ~4,000,000,000 bytes (too small)
ROM 4,294,967,296 bytes

8GB are plentiful and cheap nowadays so that isn't a concern. However, I would advise people to get 16GB cards if they want future-proofing. (if Gateway isn't perm-blocked by then)
3DS roms can be trimmed/untrimmed without much effort.
At least roms 0001-0003 gave results good enought to fit
Code:
psyblade@exile:~/projects/git/3dstrim$ ./trim.py test/lgc-grsw.3ds
trimming test/lgc-grsw.3ds from 268,435,456 to 229,750,272 Bytes (85.5%)
psyblade@exile:~/projects/git/3dstrim$ ./trim.py test/lgc-mb3d.3ds
trimming test/lgc-mb3d.3ds from 268,435,456 to 232,271,360 Bytes (86.5%)
psyblade@exile:~/projects/git/3dstrim$ ./trim.py test/lgc-lsw3.3ds
trimming test/lgc-lsw3.3ds from 536,870,912 to 491,603,456 Bytes (91.5%)
I don't know if Gateway will support trimmed roms but since removed data were only 0xffs it should be doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay