Hacking Gateway 3DS - First 3DS flash card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bean_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it just a "disguise" for a backup ROM? Correct me if I'm wrong, but to be considered a flashcard isn't it necessary to at least allow to multi-boot ROMs?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I've read through the entire thread and couldn't help but notice people repeatedly saying that there would be a menu-based loader for no reason other than GaryOPA said there would be, and GaryOPA is trustworthy. I can't help but feel these people are missing the point somewhat. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof," trustworthiness has nothing to do with it. If this really is mere weeks from release, and really is intended to have menu-based loader, then why didn't we see that video? You don't announce a product a few weeks before release by showing off a prototype that has fewer features. And if anything isn't finalised within a month of your promised ship date then you've got serious problems.

I'm not saying this is fake, but expecting anything more than 1 game per micro SD card and saves managed by external hardware is extremely wishful thinking based on current evidence*. And as soon as GaryOPA or the people making the cart show proof of a menu-based loader I will happily eat these words.

* That's evidence in the scientific sense, testimony doesn't count.
If you wish to think that way, then the entire card could be a really well done fake and be done with it ;)

And where did you get that? It's not on the official site.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad this will be available soon, I was SURE hackers would somehow get to pirating 3DS roms by the time Pokemon Gen 6 releases. I didn't expect it so soon though. :) I just wish we could scrub the update files out of the roms before playing them, to avoid any forced updates.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad this will be available soon, I was SURE hackers would somehow get to pirating 3DS roms by the time Pokemon Gen 6 releases. I didn't expect it so soon though. :) I just wish we could scrub the update files out of the roms before playing them, to avoid any forced updates.

when the card come out a 3DS FW update will come and most likely block the the card
and make it useless on new FWs that Pokemon and newer games might need

AgentChet

Trunks, The Man.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just a "disguise" for a backup ROM? Correct me if I'm wrong, but to be considered a flashcard isn't it necessary to at least allow to multi-boot ROMs?

Pretty much. It just "pretends" to be the real card, which is why multi rom is not supported. It boots straight to the rom that has been put on the card.
Multi-Rom card has yet to be shown on the web; even Crown3DS was single rom support. Which we all know that was a flop.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
when the card come out a 3DS FW update will come and most likely block the the card
and make it useless on new FWs that Pokemon and newer games might need
Lets just hope they can counter with an update fast, like the DSTWO team does... :)

(I really am sick of this cat-and-mouse game of new OFW on Wii/U, PS3, DS/3DS blocking shit, and offering no useful features in return.)

Better yet, why haven't Flash cart manufacturers figured out how to stealth/spoof their hardware ID's to mimic a legit cart ID, forever keeping Nintendo from blocking it in the future?

Reactions: Ziggy Zigzagoon

Bean_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pretty much. It just "pretends" to be the real card, which is why multi rom is not supported. It boots straight to the rom that has been put on the card.
Multi-Rom card has yet to be shown on the web; even Crown3DS was single rom support. Which we all know that was a flop.

Then, if it stay like this, it will not be worth it.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You misunderstood me. I said " those are 2 games I bought a 3DS for", and I said I bought all the 3DS games I had, being a collector I like owning my games with boxes and all. I said I'd like to use that card to play unreleased japanese games, and that even if it did play region locked stuff, the release of those 2 particular games I want would most likely need an update and render the thing useless.

I can read Japanese, but I don't want to get a Japanese 3DS, I'd have to import that and it would be expensive as fuck with taxes.

msaraiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You misunderstood me. I said " those are 2 games I bought a 3DS for", and I said I bought all the 3DS games I had, being a collector I like owning my games with boxes and all. I said I'd like to use that card to play unreleased japanese games, and that even if it did play region locked stuff, the release of those 2 particular games I want would most likely need an update and render the thing useless.

I can read Japanese, but I don't want to get a Japanese 3DS, I'd have to import that and it would be expensive as fuck with taxes.

It doesn't break region locking, so you can't play Japanese 3DS games with it, anyway.

Reactions: str8mjed

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And where did you get that? It's not on the official site.
Pretty sure it's from the same guy who posted here in the earlier pages. It's the exact same thing, except formatting is crappier with this one. Apparently it was copy-pasted in other places as well. Of course that person you quoted clearly didn't read the thread (unlike some other members whom I am impressed with but I digress).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pretty sure it's from the same guy who posted here in the earlier pages. It's the exact same thing, except formatting is crappier with this one. Apparently it was copy-pasted in other places as well. Of course that person you quoted clearly didn't read the thread (unlike some other members whom I am impressed with but I digress).
Damn, now those rumors are spreading like wildfire. I hope they don't get tracked back to GBAtemp :P

Reactions: gamefan5

str8mjed

FF Fan
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will only end up getting one of these cards for homebrew, and translated roms that you couldn't otherwise get in the States. I am so against piracy when a console like this is still in its infancy and selling games. I don't want the 3DS to end up sinking because of pirates. As expensive as games can be at times, I still intend to buy for my 3DS.

I'm only buying it just because I have a wrong 3DS region, and to ship games from AU/EU are very expensive. >.<

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
So I've read through the entire thread and couldn't help but notice people repeatedly saying that there would be a menu-based loader for no reason other than GaryOPA said there would be, and GaryOPA is trustworthy. I can't help but feel these people are missing the point somewhat. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof," trustworthiness has nothing to do with it. If this really is mere weeks from release, and really is intended to have menu-based loader, then why didn't we see that video? You don't announce a product a few weeks before release by showing off a prototype that has fewer features. And if anything isn't finalised within a month of your promised ship date then you've got serious problems.

I'm not saying this is fake, but expecting anything more than 1 game per micro SD card and saves managed by external hardware is extremely wishful thinking based on current evidence*. And as soon as GaryOPA or the people making the cart show proof of a menu-based loader I will happily eat these words.

* That's evidence in the scientific sense, testimony doesn't count.
The thing is that he said that the video was recorded before the loader was made.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Damn, now those rumors are spreading like wildfire. I hope they don't get tracked back to GBAtemp :P
AFAIK the Temp is the only one I know actively discussing it (partially because some people get over excited and ask the same question over and over again). And no one sourced the temp (phew!). :D

msaraiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AFAIK the Temp is the only one I know actively discussing it (partially because some people get over excited and ask the same question over and over again). And no one sourced the temp (phew!). :D

It's being discussed (and trashed, for obvious reasons) on #3dsdev. I just hope that people realize what a waste of time this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaiE6_-OTfE