Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

Midnight Tboy

Trophies
XP
Country
curious.....has anyone tried writing an NDS rom to the memory card and running through the gateway card in the same way they do a 3ds rom? Wonder if they will work.....if so, it may also help if any newer games crop up that need access to a later firmware than the current 4.5 that most people using it will be running, by the same firmware version spooking method they're using at the moment for the 3ds games like Mario Luigi Dream Team

sonic2756

Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol im so conflicted right now. The guy wants $70 for a red 3DS(regular one) with no pen, but it comes with a charger, a pokemon game and kindgom hearts dream drop distance. He also said mario game(s) are on the sd card. I'm not even sure i'm even getting Gateway. Would any of you buy this? If i do i might just end up selling it on ebay for prof.

Depends on how much you want to sell it for.

curious.....has anyone tried writing an NDS rom to the memory card and running through the gateway card in the same way they do a 3ds rom? Wonder if they will work.....if so, it may also help if any newer games crop up that need access to a later firmware than the current 4.5 that most people using it will be running, by the same firmware version spooking method they're using at the moment for the 3ds games like Mario Luigi Dream Team

Doesn't work. Just tried.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on how much you want to sell it for.

Im seeing used 3ds's selling for 100-120 by themselves. Also this is on 4.4 which is now in high demand so i could probably get 150 if i knew they were buying it for gateway. Also it comes with games. This deal is so damn good i don't know why im hesitating lol.

sonic2756

Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
Im seeing used 3ds's selling for 100-120 by themselves. Also this is on 4.4 which is now in high demand so i could probably get 150 if i knew they were buying it for gateway. Also it comes with games. This deal is so damn good i don't know why im hesitating lol.

If I were you I'd buy it. For 70$ you can't beat that. Even if you don't get a GW you could still resell for a profit.

umdking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Do you have a gui-version or a tutorial for this tool?
Just use this tool(rom_tool) of the 2.1version,in command line
parameters are:
-t trim
-r restore
for example: rom_tool -t sml.3ds // this will trim the sml.3ds file
the whole progress looks lossless,because I checked the original and trimmed-restored roms,found that they have the same SHA1.
So,I wonder,does the trimming break the signature of the rom?Why do the trimmed roms still work fine?How exactly does the console check the signature of a rom?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use this tool(rom_tool) of the 2.1version,in command line
parameters are:
-t trim
-r restore
for example: rom_tool -t sml.3ds // this will trim the sml.3ds file
the whole progress looks lossless,because I checked the original and trimmed-restored roms,found that they have the same SHA1.
So,I wonder,does the trimming break the signature of the rom?Why do the trimmed roms still work fine?How exactly does the console check the signature of a rom?
IIRC, the trimming doesn't affect the header, so it doesn't behave as "unencrypted." Because of that, it should still work.

If you want to find out more about it, go to the 3ds rom tool's page. http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-rom-tool-rom_tool.349314/

Reactions: umdking

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right? :P I'm actually surprised this happened so fast. TERRY'S WONDERLAND HERE I COME!

BortzANATOR I think you may be interested in this. :3

IT DOES WHAT

MUAHAHAHAHA. /tease

45slt.jpg

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Devin said that. I gave him a special version of rom_tool which has additional "less-likely to work" ROM trimming methods. Which trimming method he's referring to remains to be seen. The public version of rom_tool trims ROMs in using a method which is entirely reversible.

You either remembered that wrong, or neimod doesn't know what he's talking about. Public versions of rom_tool *never* touch encrypted or signed data.

I actually haven't tried the custom tool you made, and I was using the public version. Something just screwed up on my end, but trimming works. I'm curious to see if your custom tool works now.

Reactions: xyzmanas

xyzmanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Devin Is the public version working fine for you now? Or you haven't tested yet.

EDIT: Didn't see your post, glad that its working now, any insight on the custom version?

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I understand it as making the system think it's on firmware xy while being on another one (for example 5.1, but in reality it's on 4.5).

Or that the game needs 5.1 but making the system think it only needs 4.5? Not that it matters, as long as it works! :)

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Or that the game needs 5.1 but making the system think it only needs 4.5? Not that it matters, as long as it works! :)

The ROM is composed of 2 things, the game and a 3DS update, in most cases. The ROM has a minimum firmware, this is likely what the highest SDK build was at the time it was compiled (for a time the minimum was equal to 3DS firmware update that came bundled due to the system not being completely hackable in 3DS mode). The 3DS update doesn't have to even be the same version as the minimum firmware required.

Because Nintendo is now aware of the gateway flashcart, newer games will likely come bundled with a 3DS firmware update of 5 or higher even if the game was still has a minimum firmware requirement of 4.5 or lower.

---

Minimum firmware can be found in the ROM if you use a tool like 3DSExplorer or use a tool like 3DS ROM Tool.

Reactions: Schaapje82

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just as hard to find the exploit in firmware 5.1 than it is in 6 firmwares?
Well, they blocked the exploit as of 5.1, so someone needs to find a new exploit. It's entirely possible that there's an exploit that exists in 5.1 but not 6.x, but it's also entirely possible that there's an exploit that exists in 6.x but not 5.1. We won't know until someone actually finds one.

But, unless you have dumped your NAND beforehand, you can't downgrade to lower firmwares, so if you're trying to decide between staying on 5.1 or going to 6.x, stay with 5.1. You can always update later if need be.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, they blocked the exploit as of 5.1, so someone needs to find a new exploit. It's entirely possible that there's an exploit that exists in 5.1 but not 6.x, but it's also entirely possible that there's an exploit that exists in 6.x but not 5.1. We won't know until someone actually finds one.

But, unless you have dumped your NAND beforehand, you can't downgrade to lower firmwares, so if you're trying to decide between staying on 5.1 or going to 6.x, stay with 5.1. You can always update later if need be.

Yep, I'm SOL. Bollocks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since