Hacking Gateway 3ds: A9LH, Downgrade, Release Planned on May 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They forgot to unbrick the 2.1 nand for n3ds....... that is known to brick and that it needs to be done. So negligence. It wasn't like there was an error in the code, they forgot a vital part. I understand what an alpha and beta is. Them forgetting this step has nothing to do with it being an alpha/beta as it should have been in the code from day 1.

Are y'all forgetting this is the same company that embedded brick code into their launcher to make sure no one pirated their piracy software?

xIce101x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't even properly follow someone elses guide to make a tool like this, you kind of show how incompetent you are.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yes, they literally forgot to add a way to unbrick 2.x for N3ds, resulting in a brick.
I feel bad for everyone who waited to install a9lh to use gateways method. This is going to cause more bricks than the original sysupdater did.

Reactions: pbanj

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they had a downgrade for 9.2 System Menu for Gateway. Although this Beta is a bust! still nothing interesting it's just overhyped update that only serves small purposes. It looks like homebrew still does the better job. If I had to change it I would have 9.2 Downgrading for those who want to use homebrew only without A9LH. I know it's a beta and it looks disappointing although I didn't try it yet and I'd rather wait for an official release.

solress

Not a dev
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I feel bad for everyone who waited to install a9lh to use gateways method. This is going to cause more bricks than the original sysupdater did.
It's about as bad as the original sysupdater, and they didn't even include a way for N3DS users to get it, this is just complete garbage.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait, what? Am I hearing that those idiots at gateway forgot to unbrick rednand on the n3ds k9lh install? Hahaha... Please tell me this is a joke.
it is not.

Reactions: xIce101x

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They forgot to unbrick the 2.1 nand for n3ds....... that is known to brick and that it needs to be done. So negligence. It wasn't like there was an error in the code, they forgot a vital part. I understand what an alpha and beta is. Them forgetting this step has nothing to do with it being an alpha/beta as it should have been in the code from day 1.
It isnt forgotted... It isnt litterally done... Look at the readme: it will write to sysNAND the bricked emuNAND...

Reactions: TuxSH

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a hypothesis about GW's A9LH implementation that would require one of the beta testers (preferably a hardmod user in case of complications) to verify.

Hypothesis: The only difference with GW's A9LH implementation is that it's coded to load Launcher.dat instead of arm9loaderhax.bin, otherwise the code should be relatively identical to that found in other A9LH forks. Occam's Razor would dictate that the easiest way* for them to add A9LH support would be to take an existing fork and change the name of the loaded file when booting.

How to test:

1. With non-GW A9LH fork installed, rename Launcher.dat to arm9loaderhax.bin and try to boot 3DS.

2. With GW A9LH fork installed, rename a known working arm9loaderhax.bin to Launcher.dat and try to boot 3DS.

*I know that simply releasing an arm9loaderhax.bin that loads Launcher.dat would be the truly easiest way, but we're talking about a company that engages in code obsfucation and brick code to protect themselves against cloning.

Last edited by zhdarkstar,

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, that seems like a HUGE oversight. I hope nobody gets their N3DS bricked because of this.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
What... And did they create a seperate k9lh fork instead of making a payload?
They made an implementation incompatible with any other payload.
Wait, if you already have A9LH installed, can't you just auto boot the GW menu like Luma3DS?
You have to install A9LH again??
Correct.

D

Deleted-355425

LOL people slate gateway in a gateway thread and bad mouth it and nothing gets moderated yet i said once that gateway is better and i get singled out for 'trolling' .....bullshit.

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I have a hypothesis about GW's A9LH implementation that would require one of the beta testers (preferably a hardmod user in case of complications) to verify.

Hypothesis: The only difference with GW's A9LH implementation is that it's coded to load Launcher.dat instead of arm9loaderhax.bin, otherwise the code should be relatively identical to that found in other A9LH forks. Occam's Razor would dictate that the easiest way for them to add A9LH support would be to take an existing fork and change the name of the loaded file when booting.

How to test:

1. With non-GW A9LH fork installed, rename Launcher.dat to arm9loaderhax.bin and try to boot 3DS.

2. With GW A9LH fork installed, rename a known working arm9loaderhax.bin to Launcher.dat and try to boot 3DS.

Is renaming Launcher.dat to arm9loaderhax.bin actually works?

solress

Not a dev
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
LOL people slate gateway in a gateway thread and bad mouth it and nothing gets moderated yet i said once that gateway is better and i get singled out for 'trolling' .....bullshit.
What they have shown today just shows that they aren't even aware of how to properly downgrade and get A9LH there's nothing to say for that.

Reactions: pbanj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D