Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by jonthedit, Sep 28, 2012.

Sep 28, 2012

Gaming Laptop by jonthedit at 12:12 AM (1,089 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. jonthedit
    OP

Member jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bermuda
    I'm looking for a gaming laptop. Preferrably affordable, yet in the higher class.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIENWARE-MX15-GAMING-LAPTOP-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/180978138716?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2a23233e5c
    Such as that.

I was wondering if that competes with an alienware m16/17x laptop.
    I'm mainly concerned about the GPU RAM And Processor.

If that isn't a good choice, mind helping me pick one out? I've tried building one on Alienware.com but I generally end up in the 1000$ range.

I'm trying to get in the 800- range... Yet have a great experience.

I don't want any anti-virus bundled shit or windows "ultimate" I'm perfectly fine with my normal copy I already have.

2. Attila13

Member Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    No offense, but under 1000$ you can't really get a gaming laptop.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Alienware is overpriced crap anyways.

Gaming on laptops isn't going to be cheap, however you can generally find some good laptops that can fit the bill.

Like this Lenovo.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lurker2

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    Well except the occasional sale for Alienware products but other wise it is overpriced.

Try a sager/clevo reseller like XoticPC, Pc Torque and Power Notebooks.

This one has a decent graphics card but not the best processor. Link

Rasas and I2aven's_Sag like this.
  5. Attila13

Member Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    Actually the CPU is decent and the GPU is fairly decent. :P

6. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    BS

Gaming laptops can be had starting at 500. Anything with a HD 5650m or above is acceptable

Get something with a GT640m or HD 7670/7690 which can be had at reasonable prices

7. Lurker2

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    It just seems like a high end class 2 GPU and the CPU might not be the best since he probably wants a high end one. I'll keep looking.

Rasas likes this.
  8. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    You have to remember heat plays a factor here and can really ruin the experience (or the laptop itself for that matter). Make sure you research how heat gets handled before you buy the laptop. Battery life can also be troublesome unless you have it hooked 24/7, in which case a PC might make more sense.

9. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Or take out the battery and have AC plugged in 24/7. Lenovo is a pretty good brand for gaming, but don't expect to run the games at 1920x1080 at 60fps. To give a good example of what I can run, I have Skyrim, Splinter Cell Conviction, Sonic Generations, Splinter Cell Double Agent installed among others, and they run perfectly fine. PCSX2, Dolphin and DeSmuME also run very well on my machine, but the LLE audio can't be used in Dolphin. Dell and Compaq should be avoided like the plague.

If the laptop is known to generate a lot of heat, try to get a decent laptop cooler.

10. ILuvGames

Member ILuvGames GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I made a similar suggestion to someone else in here, this time it's based on a fully customizable barebones MSI GE60 rather than the baseline stock GE60.

http://www.xoticpc.c...6ga-p-4707.html

It's comes with no OS as requested but is fully customizable. Being a barebones unit means you cannot save any more money buy lowering the spec.

The Lenovo that Suprgamr232 pointed to isn't bad but the 17" screen is IMO where the money has been spent. You can get better specs where it counts (CPU/GPU) if you go for a 15" screen.

11. riyaz

Member riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Netherlands
    well i got my i7 laptop with nvidea gforce 610m 2gb 750 gb HDD and 6 gb and a bd drive for 700 €

12. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I strongly disagree - if your laptop is just going to sit in one place in the house plugged 24/7, you might as well get a desktop for a fraction of the price that will provide much better cooling - the strong point of laptops is mobility. As for cooling, if the laptop is known to produce a lot of heat under stress, its performance will decline as the heat increases, regardless of what cooler you use. You should always aim at the best configuration with the best built quality and good cooling capabilities stock.

That said, I entirely agree with the fact that one should remove the battery once the laptop is plugged - it's pretty pointless to lose charge cycles when the laptop is connected for more than just charging, and not all laptops support "cutting out the battery when it reaches full charge" and leech power from it rather than from the charger slot, which is an obvious design flaw that lowers the lifetime of the battery significantly.

If you like to carry your computer around the house, a laptop is indeed for you. If it's stationary on one table in one particular room, just get a desktop. ;)

13. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    My friend just spent £1350 on a Samsung 700 series laptop. Core i7, GTX 675, 1.5TB HDD. Looks awesome, but when the 500 series is almost as good for only £800-900, I start to feel iffy.

Then again, he'll be travelling a lot (studying marine biology) in Whales, so lugging around his gaming PC (cost him £800) is too much.

14. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Oh, I could have of easily gotten a desktop, but there was one problem with that; I live in an apartment and as such, I pay for utilities. A desktop would use more electricity than a laptop (since I used to keep my PC at home on 24/7) therefore, it would cost me more per month. As for the laptop I have now, I keep mine plugged in most of the time without the battery, I do take it with me when I go to my parent's home each weekend, something I can't do with a desktop.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246491

Slightly slower CPU (no difference for gaming), but a faster harddrive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152319