1. eriol33

OP eriol33 GBAtemp Maniac

Indonesia
    hi guys, I have been contemplating to buy a new laptop for a while since my laptop is 7 years old, and it cannot play most of new games anymore, and not to mention, it can only use 8 gb ram at maximum, since my job is a data analyst, I figure I need to buy a more powerful laptop but can play new games at least in medium quality with 1080p resolution.

my verdict goes to gaming laptop that uses GTX 1650 + AMD Ryzen 5-3550H since the price point is just right (less than $1000)
    (spec is something like this https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505DD-DT-DU/ )

I read that the GTX 1650 has a slight better performance than GTX 1050 TI despite a cheaper price point, which is a sweet spot for me. However I have never used AMD processor before, so I am not really sure whether I will have any trade off when purchasing an AMD laptop.

I would love to try new emulators such as CEMU/RPCS3/Citra with this laptop and maybe play recent games with medium setting.

Can anyone share their experience of using something with a similar setup? Unfortunately because US dollar is very expensive at the moment, I cannot really afford to buy a laptop more expensive than this. :(

btw my old laptop was using GT640m, I didn't really research beforehand and just thought something with a larger number on the serial would indicate a better performance. I kinda regret my purchase since I could have bought a better laptop. I hope I won't make the same mistake twice.

Last edited by eriol33, Jul 28, 2019
  2. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    update?

3. eriol33

Indonesia
    Just bought it, and it's good enough to run control on 30 fps 1920 1080 resolution and cemu games in full speed.
    I am pretty happy with this purchase

4. Dagosty

Dagosty Member
    Newcomer

Portugal
    You can get a RTX 2060/Rysen 3600 Desktop for around 1000$ or even less, it can run almost all the games at 1440p 60fps, and you can also play at 4K 30fps on some titles. I say this because i own one. Laptops are not that good for gaming.

Edit: I see you bought a laptop, if you like it thats what matters, if not, you can always return it and get your money back.

Last edited by Dagosty, Nov 8, 2019
  5. eriol33

Indonesia
    I wish it's the case, unfortunately rtx 2060 laptop is quite expensive here because of tax and strong dollars. It will be good for me for while

I chose a laptop because I move a lot.

6. Kerii

Kerii Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    You would be better off with a cheaper and faster GTX1060 6GB laptop. New is not always better (or faster).

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - gaming, Ryzen, 3550H