Gaming Companies that fans can appeal to for translation?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Pluupy, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Pluupy
    OP

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Recently i've seen fans be able to appeal to companies and recommend a game to be localized(translated). It's even happened the other way around. For a game like Sigma Harmonics, however, who do you have to email for a localization appeal? Think Garage(developer) or Square-Enix(publisher)?

I've been doing a little bit of research on companies who have worked with Square-Enix in the past:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    If things get a little dirty... I might have to appeal Square-Enix for localization in the end. (I just hope this doesn't have to happen)

[​IMG]
    More Information on Sigma Harmonics:

2. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    A nice letter won't convince any company to localize a game. Only perceived potential profits will.

3. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    I agree with injected. You'll need more than a letter to get them to consider spending all that money to localize a game.

4. dysan

Member dysan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    for some reason I don't think it would be THAT hard to translate a game...
    if a company hired one of those good people that do the translations on their free time and paid them 1500 euros a month(which in my opinion is A LOT for a month's pay) I bet there would be translations in no time since then it would be their job to translate it...

seriously now....I think an english version of tales of graces for the wii would sell a lot more to make up for the translators pay...

5. Phoenix Goddess

United States
    Except this is the NDS section, not the Wii.

It cost more than you think to localize a game.

6. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    One letter won't have a big impact, I agree with you on that. But if everyone who wants a game localized, requests that game, then the publisher might be like 'hmm, many people want this game, we'd have lotsa profit if we were to localize it"
    This won't always work, but at least it will have a bigger chance of getting localized.

7. Phoenix Goddess

United States

Yes, but think of how many people would actually do that for a single game. Then if it's a success, think of how many spoiled brats will start whining and bugging for more. We don't want to push our luck and end up running companies flat broke from too many requests.

8. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    True, but so far, far too few good games have had an american localization, and even less have made it to europe. I think it's time the publishers got off of their lazy asses and started translating titles we really want instead of making another fucking Imagine series game.

9. dysan

Greece

tales of graces was an example

well,propably it's not as easy as I say it's gonna be, but I really don't understand why companies will release a game in english and not release the "sequel" or the same series again in english (YES I'm still talking about the tales series)

10. Phoenix Goddess

United States
    Most likely has to do with what's allowed and what isn't. Some games aren't allowed into the states, just like some movies. As for a certain series, that depends on the company. If they don't have the money or time(due to other projects), who are we to bitch? People don't seem to appreciate time and effort. They made the game in Japanese, for romhackers and translators, that's all we need. It may not get localized, but it does it translated, as one of the "Tales" has.

11. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    Start Facebook pages
    if u get many many followers company's normally notice them

12. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    Lol

or spam the company's facebook page.
    Take Namco's page as an example [​IMG]

13. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I remember when the PS2 came out and new PSX games started to dwindle. Sony started raiding all the unreleased/ untranslated games and started releasing them.

It's possible Nintendo may do the same with the DS, as there won't be that many games with the 3DS due soon.

14. Pluupy
    OP

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Just got back from Natsume and NIS America. Apparently, Square-Enix is a no-go zone for them. Will be trying Atlus next.

15. dysan

Greece
    ok square is no-go

what about namco?
    did you know there are tons of tales games we haven't even heard of?
    damn...makes me angry!

16. Pluupy
    OP

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Namco is likewise extremely stingy about thier games. Many companies have offered to localize Tales of Vesperia (PS3) however according to a contract Namco has with Microsoft (which is rumored to expire this month) the game is denied PS3 port localization. Perhaps next month we'll have progress.

17. dysan

Greece
    sadly I don't have a PS3
    I was talking about the ds and wii tales games

18. Pluupy
    OP

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Ah those. Oh don't worry. Tales of Innocence has already been fully translated, Tales of Hearts is being translated, and Tales of Graces is on it's way being translated. Don't even bother with Tales of the Tempest. Horrible game. Good thing Tales fans are smart and determined.

Let good ol' Grandpa GBATemp provide you with flashcarts for your DS to enjoy them.

Edit: Speaking of which, if localization fails I plan to take up the initiative to translate Sigma Harmonics. After...somehow learning a bit of rom hacking.

19. Uzumakijl

Member Uzumakijl GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Didn't read the whole thread as i'm half asleep but, Aksys has published some stuff due fan request, same with Atlus so you could "suggest" them this game.

You have like a 0.1% chance of seeing the games localized though but it's still good nonetheless.

20. Pluupy
    OP

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Whoa got a reply from Natsume. Craziness. Edited TC.